What's in a Gym? Depends on the "Gym"

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:30 am

Try a strength routine like Starting Strength. It's less volume than you are doing but it has a built in progression that will get you back to heavy weights quickly. Most exercises are 3x5 and there are very few exercises. The exercises included work the entire body very effectively. The link is in the stickies.

Stu

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:11 pm

Man if i put it up you guys would hammer me about my pull days SO much worse...
If your routine is so bad either post it on here or scrap it and use one of the beginner routines found in the stickies.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:15 pm

ironmaiden708 wrote:
Man if i put it up you guys would hammer me about my pull days SO much worse...
If your routine is so bad either post it on here or scrap it and use one of the beginner routines found in the stickies.
It's not that bad i don't think, works for me so far, it's just def not inline with the programs here i don't think.

I like it. All i'm saying is you guys probably won't approve. I am going to check out the routines thou.

A typical "pull" day includes:

Cable crunches - 3x30 full stack
Deadlifts - 3x6-8 135, 155 & 175
Squats - 3x8 115, 135, & 155 (can't always get all 8 on 155)
Hang cleans - 3x6 95, 115, 135
These http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Bac ... neRow.html
3x6 90, 115, 120
Pulldowns (on the Hammerstrength machine) 3x8 90,115,125 on each side

I alternate the incline row with bent over DB every few workouts.

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:35 pm

Squats aren't a pulling exercise. Meanwhile, if your going to do squats and deadlifts in the same workout, you should squat first.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:16 pm

Matt Z wrote:Squats aren't a pulling exercise. Meanwhile, if your going to do squats and deadlifts in the same workout, you should squat first.
In my defense I put "pull" in quotes...

I'm not arguing, but why do squats first?

TheHeb
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by TheHeb » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:51 am

Two quick things (without completely tearing it apart):

1. You said on your last set you can't always get all of your reps. Remember that the principle of progressive overload. I think you ought use weights that allow you to get all of your reps. Then the next workout add weight, and try and get all of your reps.

If you do, then add more weight; if not, then use the same weight next time and see if you can get it that time. If you're using the same weight workout to workout and you can't even consistently get that weight, then you are not helping yourself.

2. Considered doing chin-ups/pull-ups instead of pull downs? I think it's pretty much unanimous chin-ups/pull-ups are a better way to go than pull downs.

Also congratulations on the Giants win over the 'skins.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:07 pm

If you perform deadlifts first your erectors (lower back muscles) will be fatigued, and you'll have to go much lighter on squats. This is much less of a problem if you perform squats first.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:01 pm

Matt Z wrote:If you perform deadlifts first your erectors (lower back muscles) will be fatigued, and you'll have to go much lighter on squats. This is much less of a problem if you perform squats first.
Thinking about it, your right, and my body has been telling me that for the last month. Thanks.
TheHeb wrote:Two quick things (without completely tearing it apart):

1. You said on your last set you can't always get all of your reps. Remember that the principle of progressive overload. I think you ought use weights that allow you to get all of your reps. Then the next workout add weight, and try and get all of your reps.

If you do, then add more weight; if not, then use the same weight next time and see if you can get it that time. If you're using the same weight workout to workout and you can't even consistently get that weight, then you are not helping yourself.

2. Considered doing chin-ups/pull-ups instead of pull downs? I think it's pretty much unanimous chin-ups/pull-ups are a better way to go than pull downs.

Also congratulations on the Giants win over the 'skins..
You can tear it apart, I can handle constructive criticism. I'm actually pretty thankful you guys haven't flamed me. I'm sure a lot of you are biting your tongues right now, thanks.

I know it's not a great workout, but I'm still just getting back into the swing…

Yeah, I been following the Giants and Pats since 1991. Last year was bitter sweet, but it's good to see the Aints finally stop beating themselves.

I am going to put chins in, I just hate looking weak in public, but this new gym, most of the guys are pretty cool. This huge dude actually gave me a quick spot today because he saw me struggle. I have to get over myself.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:21 pm

You don't have to worry about that. There is no flaming allowed here.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:26 pm

Ironman wrote:You don't have to worry about that. There is no flaming allowed here.
Sweet... So thats why you guys haven't said anything about the post i put in the lounge... Which you can delete if you like...

Did chins today... So weak I am... Ugh... man

I can do body weight 3x5 dips thou

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:42 am

We have to be very careful with our flaming, and :lol: put :lol: lots :lol: of :lol: smileys :lol: in :lol:, or the mods will get us!

Seriously, the guys here are very gracious, and helpful. Besides what you see in the main forums, there's a lot that goes on in the journal comments and in IMs that helps me a lot!

And since we don't know you in real life, you can tell us how weak you really are! You won't even know when we laugh at you :lol:. I'll bet that however weak you are at any particular exercise, someone here is weaker. In April, I could barely do 4 chin-ups. Now I can do 5 set of 6, or do sets of 3 with 25# added weight.

We're all "pilgrims on a journey."

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:01 pm

Jungledoc wrote:We're all "pilgrims on a journey."
That is how I've always looked at it. I feel super weak around stong people at the gym, but in awhile, i will catch up. Or at least get to where i can respect myself.

Yeah your right, this place is great. As annoying a a new guy can be and you all try and help. I wish more places in the world were like these forums.

For some reason, people laughing at me on the internet is alot better than real life.

Speaking of laughing, as a side note. I was doing squats yesterday and this guy stepped into the rack next to me, and started doing curls. About 5 mins later, the only other guy I've seen at this gym do DLs came in and shook his head at the guy. Even thou i was only squating 135 at least i wasn't doing 8 sets of curls at 85lbs and grunting like i was giving birth and hip thrusting the weight up, only to slam the bar down on the rack with a loud snarl afterwards.

After reading all over the net how annoying curls in the squat rack is for serious lifters, i couldn't help but smile. Then the grunting, hip thrusting and bar slamming, if i didn't have headphones I would have rolled on the floor laughing. (Which would have been poor ediquette on my part, but i could barely contain myself as it was.)

Then this guy moved on to DB curls, gathered all three sets of various weight he was gonna curl, and proceeded to sit and curl for 30 mins. With all 3 sets of DBs at his feet. From what i understand this also annoys people... This guy was classic.

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:52 pm

Speaking of laughing, as a side note. I was doing squats yesterday and this guy stepped into the rack next to me, and started doing curls. About 5 mins later, the only other guy I've seen at this gym do DLs came in and shook his head at the guy. Even thou i was only squating 135 at least i wasn't doing 8 sets of curls at 85lbs and grunting like i was giving birth and hip thrusting the weight up, only to slam the bar down on the rack with a loud snarl afterwards.

Then this guy moved on to DB curls, gathered all three sets of various weight he was gonna curl, and proceeded to sit and curl for 30 mins. With all 3 sets of DBs at his feet. From what i understand this also annoys people... This guy was classic.
He won't be there for long if he keeps on a regimine like that. On a routine like that he'd eventually end up going into rehab with a PT.

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:57 am

I love when people doing barbell curls do a humping motion with their hips to get it up. Its funny that I sat there yesterday with my friend and we started laughing talking asking ourselves why were we doing arm curls again? "on a pull day" Theres no real benefit for us strength wise.. And then this girl from the soccer team walked in ... and everything became clear :)

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:50 pm

brook011 wrote:And then this girl from the soccer team walked in ... and everything became clear :)
I believe I heard the Phrase "curls for the girls" the other day... Ha Ha thats awesome man. Hilarious.