Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

Tiger
n00b
n00b

Incline press..

Post by Tiger » Sat May 06, 2006 10:42 am

Hi,

whats the scientific reason about this:

when doing incline press one has to take very less weight relatively to decline or flat bench press?

Tiger.

Ironman

Post by Ironman » Sat May 06, 2006 11:12 am

That is because the pectoralis major sternal, which is the strongest part of the group, does most of the work in the decline and falt bench. With inclines it doesn't do as much of the work, the clavicular head is being targeted.

DubDub

Post by DubDub » Sat May 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Why I'm sure it can be shown scientifically that sternal is much more potentially capable, it depends on how you work out, especially for beginners. If all you do is incline bench then the clavicular head will become stronger than the sternal one, it isn't by necessity weaker.

MattZ

Post by MattZ » Mon May 08, 2006 5:45 pm

Because the sternal head is larger it has greater potential strength. Also, the ROM is shorter on a flat or decline bench press than it is on an incline bench press.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Mon May 08, 2006 9:40 pm

A common flaw among beginning/intermediate bodybuilders is an underdeveloped upper chest. Because flat/decline bench presses use more weight, ego-driven lifters ignore inclines except- maybe - for a couple of half-assed sets at the end of their chest workouts. Advanced bodybuilders, on the other hand, often begin their chest routines with inclines.

zeratum
Rookie
Rookie

Post by zeratum » Tue May 09, 2006 12:57 am

I've noticed that I seem to be a good bit weaker on incline when I go
Flat->Decline->Incline
than when I go
Flat->Incline->Decline

More so than what I gain in decline.