jogging after workout

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

CoreAlex
Rookie
Rookie

jogging after workout

Post by CoreAlex » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:31 pm

Guys i know this sounds funny but i resently joined this intense workout team and the thing is their workouts are wierd. Its basicaly like tihis, we jog 1 mile before lifting then we lift for 1 hour and 30 minutes with intensity like we basicaly do every single exercise possible in that 1 hour and 30 minutes for whichever body part we working example-monday= chest, shoulder, traps, tris, and right after lifting we go straight to a 3 mile jog. also on wednesday and saturday we dont lift we do jogging and conditioning with ab work. is this reasonable? I havent seen the benefits yet since its only my 3rd day but my stomach looking pretty small

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:57 pm

CoreAlex, you have posted several other questions recently which people have answered. Have you read them? If so, how about some feedback? Read the last 6 posts you've made.

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:32 pm

If he doesn't respond to this thread or future ones I'll just delete them.

lightningsix
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: jogging after workout

Post by lightningsix » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:05 am

CoreAlex wrote:Guys i know this sounds funny but i resently joined this intense workout team and the thing is their workouts are wierd. Its basicaly like tihis, we jog 1 mile before lifting then we lift for 1 hour and 30 minutes with intensity like we basicaly do every single exercise possible in that 1 hour and 30 minutes for whichever body part we working example-monday= chest, shoulder, traps, tris, and right after lifting we go straight to a 3 mile jog. also on wednesday and saturday we dont lift we do jogging and conditioning with ab work. is this reasonable? I havent seen the benefits yet since its only my 3rd day but my stomach looking pretty small
I'm not a pro but you have to think about what you're doing to your body if your goal is building muscle you're going about it the wrong way with jogging so much after an intense lifting session.

Staying in the gym for 1.5hrs alone is more than enough but then jogging another 1-3miles afterward... what do you think your body is using for energy? Your muscles.

Your body is breaking down your muscle to make energy.
Get in and get out. Leave the jogging to cardio specific days only.

CoreAlex
Rookie
Rookie

um

Post by CoreAlex » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:24 pm

guys i havent made any posts like this this is something i joined and wanted to ask. and does that mean my strength wont increase of something?

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:00 pm

jogging is for ladies. and 1 1/2 hrs is too long.

tyler

Post by tyler » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:04 pm

brook011 wrote:jogging is for ladies. and 1 1/2 hrs is too long.
1.5 hours is too long...but jogging is not for ladies. It is for people who want to have a strong heart and lungs. If you want to dismiss your most important muscle, because its for the ladies, then by all means do so.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:54 pm

Jogging is for people who like to jog. Some people enjoy it. It is their sport, their relaxation, their recreation. I don't personally understand that, but I believe it's true.

Informed people who want strong heart and lungs do much more intense cardiovascular exercise, such as sprinting, rowing, climbing, or resistance exercise done explosively and without a lot of rest, in a HIIT sort of pattern. If cardiovascular health is your goal, jogging is an inefficient means to attain it.

Jungledoc

Re: um

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:08 pm

CoreAlex wrote:guys i havent made any posts like this this is something i joined and wanted to ask. and does that mean my strength wont increase of something?
You have posted before, and then not replied when people have asked further questions or made suggestions. It's no fun to answer your posts if we don't feel like you are paying any attention to what we say. When you start a thread, it's your conversation. Others join in, but you are still the one we are "conversing" with, so when you don't answer, it feels quite one-sided.

tyler

Post by tyler » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:40 pm

Jungledoc wrote:Jogging is for people who like to jog. Some people enjoy it. It is their sport, their relaxation, their recreation. I don't personally understand that, but I believe it's true.

Informed people who want strong heart and lungs do much more intense cardiovascular exercise, such as sprinting, rowing, climbing, or resistance exercise done explosively and without a lot of rest, in a HIIT sort of pattern. If cardiovascular health is your goal, jogging is an inefficient means to attain it.
Am I hearing this right? You don't think jogging is good for your heart? That countless people jog and it provides no benefits whatsoever other than recreational purposes? I hate to break it to everyone here, but aerobic exercise has many benefits, and neglecting it is either done out of laziness or misinformed information. Why, check out this websites own compartive on aerobic vs resistance training, at http://www.exrx.net/ExInfo/Tidbits.html . Jogging is not limited to seeing a woman who is barely going faster than someone could walk. You can throw intense speeds in there, even sprints, and it still call it jogging. That is why practically every athelete and servicemember engages in regular aerobic exercise. Try just weightlifting and then join the army and see how long you last. You will NOT last at all. HIIT has great benefits for your heart, but a base should be built before a regular average joe starts doing it anyways. And you know what that includes right? It's not going to diminish strength and muscle gains for someone to go out and run or bike for 10-15 mins a couple of times a week. And it will provide many benefits, and unlike one that wasn't on the compartive chart, it will also make you a better lover as well. :grin:

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:28 pm

tyler wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:Jogging is for people who like to jog. Some people enjoy it. It is their sport, their relaxation, their recreation. I don't personally understand that, but I believe it's true.

Don't go putting words in my mouth. Or in my computer! :lol:
tyler wrote:Am I hearing this right? You don't think jogging is good for your heart?
Didn't say that. I said that it's not very efficient.
tyler wrote: That countless people jog and it provides no benefits whatsoever other than recreational purposes?
Didn't say that, either.
tyler wrote:I hate to break it to everyone here, but aerobic exercise has many benefits, and neglecting it is either done out of laziness or misinformed information.
You are equating "jogging" with "aerobic exercise"? I hate to break it to you, but jogging is not the only form of aerobic exercise!
tyler wrote:Why, check out this websites own compartive on aerobic vs resistance training, at http://www.exrx.net/ExInfo/Tidbits.html .
That chart is a comparison of "aerobic" and "resistive" exercise. It doesn't mention jogging anywhere.
tyler wrote:Jogging is not limited to seeing a woman who is barely going faster than someone could walk.
That's all true as far as it goes. Jogging is better than walking. Walking is better than sitting on the couch. It's all relative.
tyler wrote: You can throw intense speeds in there, even sprints, and it still call it jogging.
You can? If so, we're speaking a different language. I don't call running with "intense speeds" or "sprints" "jogging."
tyler wrote: That is why practically every athelete and servicemember engages in regular aerobic exercise. Try just weightlifting and then join the army and see how long you last. You will NOT last at all.
Again with the words in my mouth. I haven't said anything against regular aerobic exercise. I've only said that there are far more effective ways to do it than jogging. And the army lets you get away with just jogging? I though those guys had to run carrying heavy back-packs and combat gear.
tyler wrote:HIIT has great benefits for your heart, but a base should be built before a regular average joe starts doing it anyways. And you know what that includes right? It's not going to diminish strength and muscle gains for someone to go out and run or bike for 10-15 mins a couple of times a week.
Again, I never said that it would.
tyler wrote: And it will provide many
Well, some.
benefits, and unlike one that wasn't on the compartive chart, it will also make you a better lover as well. :grin:
It's just that I think jogging is over-tauted as a means to cardiovascular fittness. It's not a waste of time for someone who is completely unfit, or who has been walking for a time, and needs to move up to something more intense. But for someone who wants to be really fit, there are better, more efficient ways of attaining it.

Don't forget that resistance training itself has cardiovascular benefits.

I AM saying that jogging is a fine thing for people to do, if that is their goal. For those who want to increase their endurance running, then endurance running is the way to go. My wife loves to jog, and does it faithfully. I encourage her. But endurance running is not the only way, or even the best way to benefit your heart and lungs.

Now, for the sake of honesty, jogging would no doubt be of some benefit for me. But it bores me to tears, and is really uncomfortable for my elderly knees. If I'm going to put in 10-15 minutes on cardio, it's going to be HIIT in some form, possibly BB or DB bell complexes, or simple circuits like cross-fit routines. Not that I could complete many Cross-Fit routines, but that's the idea.

Sorry about the ranting reply. This reminds me of the guy (was it Chris-something) who was on here for awhile. I'll try not to repeat my arguments over and over. :lol:

Ryan A

Post by Ryan A » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:58 pm

Just to clarify further, if you are calling jogging aerobic, then by definition, you better not be sprinting because sprinting by definition is anaerobic. So you are either not sprinting and it is aerobic or you are sprinting and it is anaerobic. You can not have both.

A true "sprint" is probably a very short distance, somewhere circa 60 meters or less. Even with a liberal definition of upto 400 meters, that is still a lot less distance than people would jog for.

It really is discouraging to see people read something completely wrong and then start touting other people's wrongness. It is also depressing to see people continually ask the same questions over and over again and ignore responses. If you are asking a question, it means you probably don't have enough information to answer. If you did, more power to you and you would likely not be on the forum unless you were answering others' questions.

Many of these topics go like

What do you all think about A?

Responses.

OP says well, I think A means this.

If you already had something in your head, why not post it in the beginning so we knew where you were coming from when we answered? Furthermore, if you are just going to ignore what everyone else says why ask in the first place?

Gah... rant over.

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:25 am

(was it Chris-something)
I believe you would be referring to Chris_A, there were many (some* pointless) arguments on here when he was a regular poster.
Last edited by ironmaiden708 on Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

tyler

Post by tyler » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:28 am

Oh my...I can't believe you are all rising up against me. Jungledoc, you said jogging is an inefficent means for cardiovascular health. True that you didn't say some of the stuff I said, but when you say "jogging is for people who like to jog." And "it is an inefficent means for cardiovascular health"...it is obvious your opinion of running is incredibly low. That in my opinion is like completely bashing the thing it is best at. And for some reason, some of you don't consider it aerobic exercise. First off, I can be jogging, throw in a sprint, and then still jog afterwards. What would you call it then? Second off, running is to aerobic exercise as lifting weights is to resistance training. It the the primary way of improving cardiovascular fitness. Sure, not the only way, and people tend not to only run. Just as some use pulleys, dumbbells, and machines to train their muscles, others bike, climb, row, or whatever for their heart. But not realizing that jogging should be your bread and butter...and then acting like I'm some kind of crazied idiot...well...let's just say I can understand why this "Chris_A" might not post if people are without that much common sense here.

stuward

Post by stuward » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:49 am

I think there is a distinction to be made between running, jogging and sprinting. All are different. Running is hard. It involves going fast for the duration and is truly a good aerobic exercise. Sprinting is all out effort using the anaerobic energy system. Jogging is what most people do and is largely inefficient and ineffective compared with alternatives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jogging
"Jogging is a form of trotting or running at a slow or leisurely pace. The main intention is to increase fitness with less stress than actually running, instead of competition."