jogging after workout

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:44 am

You're right, it's derailed, and going in many different directions. For CoreAlex, if you're not going to take the advise, which seems to be that that's not going to do you any favors, then why ask in the first place? BTW people, he's training for wrestling, and when I was wrestling in college, we had to run a cross country track of approx 2.2 miles prior to practice every day, and for his requirements for stamina, I don't think it will hurt at all. It didn't hurt us at all. The hour and a half or lifting though, I have to go with the others, way too much. We did lift 2 X week, fairly heavy, but limited it to 2-3 full body moves for a couple of sets each. We did however do partner squats, handstand pushups, rope climbs, pushups and bridgining every practicefor a set or two of each before technique and sparring. The point is conditioning for strength, and stamina, and don't overdo each. Jogging, well I think if you guys want to discuss the jogging is for ladies stuff, start a new thread.
Tim

lightningsix
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by lightningsix » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:23 am

pdellorto wrote:
TheHeb wrote:It sounds from one of your other posts that you're into MMA? There's a poster here, pdellorto who has been doing it for a long time, I think. You might want to private message him and see what he thinks.
I'm actually not clear on what sport CoreAlex is training for. I know Lightningsix does Muay Thai a few days a week.

MMA isn't a marathon, it's a series of sprints of undetermined length.

FWIW, the fighters in my gym in Japan almost all did roadwork. BUT, an important note is that my coach insisted people mix sprints in with their jogging. He said, basically, if you aren't sprinting, and you aren't running fast enough to get your heart rate up, you aren't training.

On the other hand, I don't know if any of the fighters at my US gym jog. I know one person mentioned he was going to do jogging as cardio, and the coach suggested running stadium stairs instead. Most of the fighters seem to get their "cardio" from training to fight.
We do some jogging in our warm up session but not much, maybe 5 laps. Jogging when turning on the corners and sprinting on the straight-aways.
Other than that we include jump rope of 3min intervals and drop the rope for 20 push-ups and back to jump rope for another 3min.

Every class is some what of an alternation of warm-ups before excercises and combo's though. Sometimes we have a partner of equal size jump on our back and then run our sprints with them on our backs. Bear crawls, jumping squats+lunges, duck walks, rope climb, etc.....

CoreAlex
Rookie
Rookie

Post by CoreAlex » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:53 am

isnt training till you drop a good thing?

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:00 am

CoreAlex wrote:isnt training till you drop a good thing?
If it's done routinely, no.

The more advanced you become fitness-wise, the more important rest and recovery are to your progress. Overtraining will kill your gains almost as quickly as an injury.
Last edited by Stephen Johnson on Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:13 pm

And especially not right after an intense resistance work-out. Going until you "drop" occasionally is not bad, but I'd do it (if it were me) on a non-lifting day.