For those of you who use a gym...

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:30 am

I am in the St. Louis area and I pay $26 a month at Golds gym. That is a special rate I got because I joined up when the location opened. I think most people pay closer to $40 a month.

TheHeb
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by TheHeb » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:03 pm

$150 a year at my university. Interestingly, the weight rooms at the schools where all my friends go is free.

Plus my gym sucks. 50,000 students go to my school, yet there's ONE freaking power cage. Fortunately, it's almost always empty when I get there, but occasionally someone will be in there (sometimes doing biceps curls) and I'll have to wait 15 minutes or more.

Also no platforms or bumper plates. But I guess at least it's convenient.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:44 pm

They charge the students? That's tacky!

frankinfenix
former lurker

$25/Month-Arizona

Post by frankinfenix » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:14 pm

$25.00/Month (month-to-month, no contract) = $300.00/Year. 24 Hour Fitness-Phoenix, Arizona with full use of gym, pool and showers. Clean & nice facility in an urban environment.

frogfroggy
n00b
n00b

Post by frogfroggy » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:54 pm

The gyms in Germany cost around 30-50 Euros for everything. But there is a cheaper one and its called "McFit" and it only costs 16 Euros a month. But mostly its loaded with people, but if you go late at night after 2400 almost nobodys around. At our university they charge you 30 Euros. Too expensive for a small gym.

But lucky me, my dorm will finish building a gym in a month. And then its mine. And again lucky me the dorm I live in is very small, ~20 people.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:27 am

I don't pay anything. But of course, I do have to sweep or mop once in a while. And repair broken equipment. Then there is the expense of any materials and my time for building any home-made equipment that I might want. Not bad, though.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:37 pm

I checked the (good) gym in town - the one that has treadmills, machines, but also lots of free weights and has hosted a push/pull event recently. They charge $19.95 a month if you pay by the year.

wilburburns

Post by wilburburns » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:35 am

If I remember correctly, My Wife and I pay $25 per month but paid for a year up front. I thin the normal Month to Month Rates are around $32/month, but like every other gym/fitness center in town there is always a "SPECIAL" :lol:

Amenities include....
Plenty of Cardio Equipment
Quite a few Resistance machines (at least 4 different brands per machine type)
A Couple of nice cable setups
Decent Free Weight selection and area
1 Squat Rack
2 Smith Machines
Small Track
Small Pool
Fitness classes every day (for those who enjoy that)

Overall not a bad deal if what is available is used..

Cliff

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:35 am

We have a community sponsored Rec center sponsored by the city and it costs 50 bucks/year, but if you take any of the sponsored clases/programs you pay for them individually. There is a pool/track, BB court and a weight and cardio room. The weight room is pretty basic, mostly fre racks with 1 power cage and a couple of machines, but definately enough to make due. I do my thing on the back porch, but my father goes over there or the Srs groups .
Tim