Deadlift hitting my knees

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Deadlift hitting my knees

Post by robertscott » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:12 am

I imagine this query may have been answered before, so I apologise if anyone's having to repeat themselves.

Basically i really struggle to lower the bar past my knees when deadlifting without it hitting my knees. It doesn't strike me as a MAJOR problem (note the capitals) but it is a bit of a pain as it means I have to lower the bar really... slowly...

if anyone has any form queues I'd very much appreciate hearing them.

If it makes any difference by the way it might be worth mentioning i have relatively very long legs compared to my torso.

Thanks.

stuward

Post by stuward » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:18 am

Notice how the shins are vertical. That's what you should be aiming at. Your hips will be higher or lower depending on the length of your limbs but try to get vertical with your shins. You may want to try sumo style. Many people with long legs tend to do better with sump style.

Stu

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:23 am

Cheers Stu, vertical shins could be a problem, i think my flexibility is letting me down here but I'll try a wider stance.

Good picture by the way, very helpful.

stuward

Post by stuward » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:29 am

lightningsix
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by lightningsix » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:30 am

maybe you're moving too fast?

deadlifts are supposed to be in contact with your shins, knee's and thighs all the way up and all the way down at least from what I understand.

Nice and slow

KPj

Post by KPj » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:19 am

I agree with Stuward. When you set up for the DL, walk up to the bar until your shins are either touching the bar or atleast close to the bar i.e. they don't NEED to be touching, but they atleast need to be close. Then get down to the starting position and check your back position. You may just lack the flexibility to pull from the floor.

Other than that, I have a few ques that may help...

-Make sure you don't round your back on the down. hitting your knees can be sign of this happening.

-When lowering, don't bend your knees until the bar has passed them. So fromlock out - keep chest up, push hips back, once the bar clears knees, then you bend them. You'll probably find that your bending your knees just before the bar clears them and subsequently whacking the bar off them. This will probably take some getting used to but it's worth it.

Obviously, if you can't pull from the floor then don't. But you need to DL now since you've hurt your toe! Just elevate the bar - on anything, even if it's a few weight discs stacked on top of each other, as long as you can start with a neutral spine...

KPj

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:40 am

it could well be connected to my inflexibility, I'll try the sumo deadlift and see if that's do-able. If i can pull that from the floor properly I'll be a happy man.

If not I'll just keep on at rack pulls. Ideally I'd like to be able to lower the rack pins till i can pull from the floor but the pins on the rack i use stop about a foot from the ground.

KPj

Post by KPj » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:12 am

Sumo's are great, I think everyone should do them.

Remember you can sit the bar (well, the discs which are on the bar) on top of weight discs as well. Aerobic steps are ok for it too.

KPj

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:40 am

Because of my arthritus. I have flexibility issues which make it difficult to pull off the floor. Sumo's aren't a problem though. For pulling for the sn and clean though, I do what KPJ suggests. I use something to put the plates on. There was a lot of construction around my place a while ago, and I went to the trash heap and go some concrete cynder blocks and pavers. They work fine for an "elevated platform".
Tim

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:23 am

I'm not sure if I'd be able to use weight plates as a platform, there's not really enough big heavy plates to go round at my gym. I've only ever seen one aerobic step too, i could maybe invent an exercise: the lopsided deadlift. A kind of sideways lunging deadlift, get my name into the weightlifting hall of fame.

Getting flexible is the answer to all my weightlifting problems, i don't seem to be making much progress with it though.

KPj

Post by KPj » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:14 am

robertscott wrote: Getting flexible is the answer to all my weightlifting problems, i don't seem to be making much progress with it though.
Getting mobile would be a better answer :wink:

So, tell us a bit more then. Does your back round when you get to the starting position of a DL?

Hows your OH squat doing? Can you get the ROM in your thoracic spine / shoulders yet?

If your hip flexors are anything like mine used to be, it's going to take some obsessive stretching. They've probably 'shortened'. Not that i want to sound more confusing, but there's actually a difference between 'short' and 'stiff'. Hip flexors are often short (due to prolonged sitting). Short muscles are a real pain in the a$$ to deal with.

Your going to need to stretch them atleast once per day, and hold it for about 30secs, at least.

So, stretch more.

Foam roll every day (especially your hip flexors - also flex the knee when your doing hip flexors to get more of your rectus femoris).

Do some dynamic stuff everyday. Would be great if you had Magnificient Mobility for this. But really, just do some body weight lunges, OH walking lunges,

Try some bowler squats - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRlCcb3V9xc

This next one should challenge your flexiblity but might be too much - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSXi2pjvr-Y

Also, I love this to increase squat depth. It's called 'squat to stand'. This video is the only one with decent form I could find (only had a quick flick thorugh though). Loads of the other videos completely butcher it. Keep the back straight (which will be hard). This video does show some rounding, but coming from the top of the spine. Just keep the chest up and think of sitting back - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6KnrUtdle4

Really, it would be ideal if you could do some foam rolling, then some static stretching, then some dynamic drills (you only need about 10 reps of each, one set), and do it every day. If you only do the drills above, or, around 3-5, then the whole thing should take about 20minutes. And see how that goes. But MM is an amazing resource for loosening up the hips.

It's a lot, but maintaining it is much easier!

KPj

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:58 am

haha of course, I forgot there was a difference between flexibility and mobility.

I don't stretch my hips everyday, they get stretched 3 times a week (basically after a workout). I know this is not enough and so shall resolve to do it every day.

Aye my back rounds when getting into the start of a deadlift. It's a pain.

Having said that i tried Sumo deadlifting yesterday: 'twas awesome! Pulled it from the floor easy enough no rounding or anything. Think I've found my deadlift! I was wondering though will sumo pulling all the time develop some muscles more than others and cause some sort of issue in the future?

My overhead squat's pretty terrible, I can manage it but it feels really uncomfortable on my mid back.

KPj

Post by KPj » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:55 am

robertscott wrote: Having said that i tried Sumo deadlifting yesterday: 'twas awesome! Pulled it from the floor easy enough no rounding or anything. Think I've found my deadlift! I was wondering though will sumo pulling all the time develop some muscles more than others and cause some sort of issue in the future?.
Good - you can't be THAT bad then. Won't be long before you can conventional pull from the floor.

Sumo's just use your hips more, really. You'l feel it in the glutes a bit more. It's not a huge difference though.

In terms of 'issues' to watch out for - if you do sumo excessively you risk hip pain. Never experienced this myself but it's supposed to be quite common in PL'ers who DL sumo style. But you have the same risk with any exercise done excessively.

You'll feel it in your adductors, too, and it's common to strain the adductos - just makse sure you're stance isn't too wide if you're adductors are tight. But you would of felt this already, to be honest. If you've done it with good form and it's felt good then just keep at it. But don't lose site of conventional style. You'll get better development if you do both. Doesn't matter what one you're stronger at (if you stick to the same variation you'll stagnate anyway). I'm also a big believer that you should do what you're bad at. I'm weaker at Sumo style than conventional so I do Sumo's a lot (and it has a positive effect on my conventional).

KPj

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:59 am

ok that's alright then, I'll sumo for the time being whilst trying to loosen up the hips.

I was actually pulling heavier Sumo style than i was normal style, think that was probably due to better form than anything else though