Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

lightningsix
Apprentice
Apprentice

Strongman Tests...

Post by lightningsix » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:50 am

Hey peeps,
I was wondering if anyone did any of the strongman type of excercises and if they could give some advice or info on the benefits.

Things such as:
The Farmers Walk (improves grip I suppose?)
Fireman's Carry
Bearhug and Walk
Lugging and Loading
Crab Crawl after a workout routine as a finisher

(Of course there are others you could easily invent or think of.)
Obviously there are benefits in strength but I'm mainly wondering whether these excercises would be 'good enough' to take place of a weight lifting routine on any given day or if they are just mainly done for the strongman competitions.

Would these be a good idea to someone who possibly hits a plateu?

-Thanks

stuward

Post by stuward » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:38 pm

I do farmer's walks from time to time with dumbbells. It's probably better to use actual implements as you don't have to be as concerned about them being balanced in your hands. They're a great whole body exercise and work far more than your grip. Do them at the end of your workout as a finisher. You can expect your traps to noticibly improve quickly.

The fireman's carry is a part of our Battle Fitness Test that all Canadian soldiers have to do. It's not fun and most people are unprepared for it, but you just do it.

You could certainly put together a good workout with the exercises you have listed. I don't think it would do for a whole program. It's too hard to progressively make them more difficult to be a whole program. They're certainly worth doing on occasion.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:40 pm

A lot of people like to combine them. Two days a week, strength work on "srandard" equipment, i.e. BB's, DB's, then on Saturday maybe have a play day doing the Strongman stuff; i.e. Sandbag load and carry's, tire flips, etc. They compliment each other nicely. There are various strongman sites out there, and crossfit and gymjones has a lot of this type of stuff going on as well.
Tim

lightningsix
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by lightningsix » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm

Awesome info guys, thanks.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:24 pm

I used to do Farmer's Walks with 2 x 18L containers of fuel for my heater back in Japan. Nothing quite as fun as farmer's walks on a cold winter day. Can stop whenever I wanted, but the less I stopped the faster I got home, so I really pushed it. Helped my grip, shoulders, and grip endurance a lot.

Three good articles on strongman training I keep bookmarked:

Two on Marunde's website:

http://www.marunde-muscle.com/articles/ ... aining.htm
http://www.marunde-muscle.com/articles/ ... ining2.htm

And this one from Joe DeFranco's site about strongman competitions. His "Ask Joe" section has a few roundups of the summertime strongman competition they do.

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articl ... ongman.htm

And as TimD said, look for stuff on tire flipping, sandbag exercises, weighted wheelbarrow work (up and down hill), sledgehammer work, sites about strongman or highland games competition, et cetera. There is a wealth of stuff out there.

You can use strongman stuff as a workout (all strongman for that workout) or just use pieces in a workout. Instead of max-effort barbell deadlifts, you do tire flips instead, or pick up an atlas stone or a heavy sandbag, for example. The "finisher" work they've been assigning me at DeFranco's has been sledgehammer work and sandbags. Lots of "GPP" type work seems to overlap well with strongman work. Dan John's workouts often have a touch of this - dragging a sled uphill while carrying a slosh pipe is one I remember. It's not the weight that's the goal there, per se.

lightningsix
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by lightningsix » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:43 am

That's awesome.
Thanks for the links, good info.