Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Cbhan49
n00b
n00b

HELLO ALL

Post by Cbhan49 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:52 am

Hello All,
My name is Chandrabhan (male) and I hail from Mumbai, India.I am 49 years old.I weigh around 90 kg and am 5' 9" tall.I have been going to the gym for the last three years and had got my weight down to 78 kgs but for various reasons have come bac to the 90 Kg bracket.

I must add here that I am a polio victim and do not have great use of my left arm.Among the upper body two arm exercises I can do at the gym are ,seated chest press and seated row.

I have been to a lot of bodybuilding sites but have not found out the ideal workout for a person like me who can at best do single arm workouts.
I am looking for a workout that would compensate my disability in the upper body in the form of a lower body workout or something similar to that.

All your advice and inputs and questions wud be greatly appreciated
Thanks,
Chandrabhan

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:09 pm

I'm a bit confused on exactly what you are asking here. I understand the upperbody complications, but then you seem to be asking for a lowerbody schedule. What exactly are you looking for? upper, lower, or both?
Tim

stuward

Post by stuward » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:08 pm

The seated row and seated press are both machine exercises. You can do a great deal with dumbbells. Presses and rows, in the vertical and horizontal planes are where to start. You can use dumbbells for lower body as well. Step ups holding a dumbbell are good. Deadlifts, both 2 legged and 1 legged. Cable pull throughs are a good option. Just use one arm.

Go through the directory and look at the dumbbell exercises. The cable exercises may be appropriate as well. Just use some common sense.

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Cbhan49
n00b
n00b

Post by Cbhan49 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:12 am

hi tim and stuward....thank you for the reply.Ok let me pose my question in a different way.
Since I have upper bodycomplications, most exercises that need vertical motion using both hands are out of question.Therefore the intensity of my workouts due to this physical gets a little diluted on the days I have upperbody worout days namely Chest, shoulder, triceps and back and biceps.
My question is wether i can offset this intensity by a more intense lower body workout.
My current pushing/lifting/pulling strenght is as folows.
Shrugs.................120 pounds
Shoulder raises(single hand machine or dumbells) 30 pounds
Chest(machine seated chest press) left hand 30 pounds
Chest(machine seated chest press) right hand 90 pounds
Back(Seated row both hands)180 pounds
Side Lat pull down 160 pounds single hand
leg extension machine 160 pounds
hamstring leg curl 65 pounds
leg press 550pounds
inclined calf raises on leg press machine 550 pounds.

Any advice comments suggestions are always welcome
Cheers,
Chandra

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:15 am

Here's what I think you are asking.

1. What should you do for your upper body?

2. What can you do for your lower body when you only have one strong hand to hold the weights?

My thoughts:
1. I think you should work your "good" hand to it's full potential, obviously using dumbells most of the time. Do you have any strength at all in your polio-affected hand? If so, go ahead and work it at it's own pace. We usually hear that we should do unilateral (dumbbell) exercises with our weaker hand first, and then do the same number of sets with our stronger hand, so that the weaker will "catch up" with the stronger. Obviously not practical in your case.

In your affected arm, at which joints do you have difficulty? If, for instance, it's just your forearms that are affected, it would be a shame to no work your upper arms and shoulders, etc., etc. Maybe you could devise some way to secure weight to your arm so that you could work the upper joints.

2. I'd suggest that you weight most of your lower-body exercises with a weighted belt or weighted vest or both. Doing some dead-lifts with your good hand would be good for your grip, although it would be hard to hold enough weight to challenge your legs.

About the machines:
In general, machines are not nearly as good as free weights. The machine effectively defines the path of the weight. You do not control it yourself, and a lot of the stabilizer muscles don't get the work that they should. We (the "we" in this case is the majority of the regular posters here) encourage most people to do squats and deadlifts instead of leg presses, extensions and curls. They're a lot more effective. In your case, you could work heavier with your legs doing machine exercises than you probably can using free weights, even with the belt and vest idea. I'd suggest using the machine, but also do free-weight squats and deadlifts with as much weight as you can manage.

Do you lift at home, or at a gym?

I hope this helps.

Cbhan49
n00b
n00b

Post by Cbhan49 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:45 am

hey jungledoc......

1. What should you do for your upper body?

2. What can you do for your lower body when you only have one strong hand to hold the weights

Thats exactly what i was asking.
My good arm i.e. the right one is in pretty goodshape....i dont want it to grow too much or else the diff between my left and right wud be very akward.

My left arm is affected from my shoulder itself but have developed the forearm section quite well.

I totally agree with you on ur views on machine based exercises though under the circumstances I do not have much of a choice.

Free weights have always been my preference but like I said I have to make do with whats best for me.

I do work out at a gym.

hey thanks again....appreciate ur inputs.

lightningsix
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by lightningsix » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:16 am

If your weaker arm incapable of liftin weights or is it just undertrained or injured?

If you are able to work the weaker arm at all I would advise focusing on strengthening that arm. What you can do is lift as many reps at a moderate weight with the weak arm and then just match the same with the strong one.

Cbhan49
n00b
n00b

Post by Cbhan49 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:24 am

hey lightningsix...thanks for ur input.My left arm was afflicted with polio when I was like 2 months old.Current capalbilities are limited to supported horizontal movement.

The machines that I can use my left arm are
1)the seated chest press where i work my left arm alone and push upt 32 pounds.
2) the seated row for my back where I pull upto 180 pounds with both my hands.

Apart from these two exercises I sometimes do the vertical push down for my triceps with both hands but my form suffers, as a result of which I do one arm push down on the cable fo rmy tripceps.

Thanks
Chandra

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:31 am

Cbhan49 wrote:...
My left arm is affected from my shoulder itself but have developed the forearm section quite well...
If your forearm is strong, you should be able to grip a bar for deadlifts. Lifting straps should help make up the deficiency. I think I mentioned step ups earlier. With these it doesn't matter what hand you carry the weight in.
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Qua ... tepUp.html
The model picture has 2 dumbbells but you could do it with one just as well.