Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

jeffrerr
Associate Member
Associate Member

Possible 'in home' replacements for squats

Post by jeffrerr » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:34 am

Okay here goes,

I'm trying to work out at home, I have a very basic workout I'm doing with water bottles in shopping bags, but it's only a total of 8kg (4kg in each bag) that I can make up to 12kg (6kg in each bag). My probelm is this is a VERY light weight for squatting. I'm trying to add leg work by putting water bottles in a back pack and going up and down my stairs (6 flights of 7 stairs 3 to 5 times), but it obviously doesn't give full ROM in the legs.

Here's the question:
I've thought of using the couch with my wife sitting on it to replace squats having her shift closer to the end I am lifting as my strength improves. But there are issues, I'd have to grip the couch behind my back which would mean keeping my hips straight and possibly putting my knees under excessive strain, so I'd need to do more of a sit than a squat. I'd also need to have the couch already off the ground due to flexibility and my chairs would make it higher than the lowest point of a squat/sit, again limiting ROM. Another option was to use a rope has a harness, but that would mean buying a thick enough rope to not cut into my shoulders and neck which could get expensive. Has anyone else come across any easy household ways of doing this? Or should I just do a larger number at the lower weight until I can get to a gym/return to Australia? Buying equipment at this point is not an option as it would cost too much to ship home with me and I wouldn't get my money back selling second hand here!

Anyway, if I can't think of anything it will just have to wait!

John

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:48 am

You could try squating with your wife on your back.

A good substitute for squats are step ups. Pick a step height so that your thigh is level and use your "weights" in each hand. A k-word chair would work for a step. Lower steps, like stairs are easier, higher steps are harder so you can progress in dificulty even without adding weight.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:49 am

I would suggest forgetting squats and doing single leg squats. You're not going to be able to do a full single leg squat straight away, so you will need to go down to something, like a chair.

If that's too difficult, look at lunge variations - forward (static, dynamic), reverse (you can increase ROM by stepping off a step), split squats... And progress to single leg squats.

This article has just about every single leg exercise you can think of.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... upplements

When you get back to Oz you'll be pleasantly surprised when you start squatting if you work on single leg exercises.

I'm starting to develop the opinion that people should be able to knock out a few single leg squats before they do a bilateral squat.

KPj

VoK
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by VoK » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:38 am

Pistols, full ROM single legged squats.

Much of this exercise is balance, so you might not get it the first time. But once I got it, I fell in love with it.

jeffrerr
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jeffrerr » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:24 pm

Cool thanks guys! Getting back on here is helping me remember all those little tweaks I've forgotten over the years! I'll start to work up to a one legged squat I think! I used to them on a smith machine years ago so I'll just do them with the "DB's" I have made up!

As for squatting the wife, she already turned me down for that one, thinks it would 'look silly' even though there's no one there to see me doing it! lol

Thanks!

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:43 pm

That's okay ... weight training works best with progressive resistance, and that could be a little problematic if you're squatting with your wife on your back.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:59 pm

Matt Z wrote:That's okay ... weight training works best with progressive resistance, and that could be a little problematic if you're squatting with your wife on your back.
Never, ever tell her the squats feel heavier. Under any circumstances. Try to stick to "Gee, even though the resistance felt so much lighter, I just couldn't get all my reps today."

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:05 pm

pdellorto wrote:
Matt Z wrote:That's okay ... weight training works best with progressive resistance, and that could be a little problematic if you're squatting with your wife on your back.
Never, ever tell her the squats feel heavier. Under any circumstances. Try to stick to "Gee, even though the resistance felt so much lighter, I just couldn't get all my reps today."
Very smart man here fellas... ha ha :green:

Listen up

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:09 pm

Kids. I keep telling people to squat and press kids. Give them a treat after they let you throw them around, and gradually they will get heavier. Your own, the neighbors, your relatives, doesn't matter.

Or baby animals. Press a calf every day and in a year or two....

jeffrerr
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jeffrerr » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:54 am

Jungledoc,

I do NOT want to be accused of being a paedophile!!! lol I live in a city with no friends or family and no kids of my own, not a CHANCE any self respecting Scotsmen would let me squat their children! Good idea for when I get back to Aus though, I have 8 nieces and nephews ranging from 4 years old to 18 years old, it's basically a full squat rack right there! lol

Oh and Pete, good advice, I'll stick to it I think!

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:05 am

"Excuse me sir, may I squat your child a few times?"

You're right. It doesn't sound very nice.

Ok, cows and sheep then.

jeffrerr
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jeffrerr » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:50 am

I said SCOTLAND, I'd have more chance of getting their kids than their livestock! lol!

I was looking at some of the CrossFit stuff today and there were some good suggestions on there for some other types of exercises to try so I might change up in a couple of weeks to keep it interesting, but for now I'm doign one leg split squats with no weight until i learn the technique. Being a fatty it's still a good work out though, I'm 6 foot tall and weigh around the 265 pound mark and I'm midsection heavy so the legs get a good old work out! Trying to get some of that excess off though, would like to be 215 to 220! I was 300 pounds at my heaviest so I'm about half way there!

John

lightningsix
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by lightningsix » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:29 pm

Getting your wife or friend to piggy back on your back while squatting was a good suggestion. We did these in Muay Thai training.

Also you can do jumping squats which gives more of a force than no squats at all....

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:04 pm

That's okay ... weight training works best with progressive resistance, and that could be a little problematic if you're squatting with your wife on your back.
Take her out to chinese and tell her how much you love fat people.
Ok, cows and sheep then.
I believe they (cows maybe not sheep) would grow too fast for a humans strength to be able to keep up .

jeffrerr
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jeffrerr » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:08 pm

I was sitting in the office break room today and picked up one of the women's magazines as I saw a story on the cover that looked to terrifying to be true. A couple in NY City have some serious issues, the chick is kinda hot, 20, size 0 weighing 6 stone 11 ounces, they guy is 36 stone and wants to be 43 stone and she is helping him eat 20,000 calories a day to "reach his goal weight"! He's 23 and needs a walking stick to move! I'm half his current size and I find myself grossly overweight! What sicko's man! She is an Obeseophile I guess!