Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Full Body vs Split Workout

Post by Ironman » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:54 am

ListaniMontan wrote:
Dr. Zoidberg wrote:So after a quick search in the forum I didn't see the answer to this question.

Is it better (more effective) to do a full body workout twice a week or to split up the body parts and go three or four times a week?

Is there any real evidence either way or is it all anecdotal?
my last post of the day as i am getting tired of sitting at home on bed with lap top,

As for your question in my experience with lifting i found that lifting heavy weight with full body workouts twice a week is better than lifting singles 3 to 4 times for a very good reason. Number the body needs a lot of time to rest after lifting so try to lift monday and thursday. split workouts keep demanding your nervous system to fire up every day so you might eventualy over train hit a plataue. While doing a full body workout try to keep exercises to the point like mabe one exercise per body part with as high enough weight as you can but still being able to do good reps from 6 to 12. For me the main exercises are dead lift, squat, benching, dumbell press, bar curl, military press, and of course lat pull downs. if you wanna do abs make sure to keep reps at a good value as in dont do over 100 of anything on abs which is why you should ass wieght to whatever ab exercise you do, for forearms, calves, and neck ( i usaly do these muscles once every 2 weeks) Do reverse curl, calf rises on squat bar, and hang weights on your neck and lift slowly. of course those are my exercises but the key thing is to not overtrain with doing more than 1 or 2 exercises per body part since you realy dont need to

I just thought I'd mention that you have to go all out on every set if you do it that way. Or just do a lot of sets with short rest.

Dr. Zoidberg
n00b
n00b

Post by Dr. Zoidberg » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:13 am

ListaniMontan wrote:As for your question in my experience with lifting i found that lifting heavy weight with full body workouts twice a week is better than lifting singles 3 to 4 times for a very good reason. Number the body needs a lot of time to rest after lifting so try to lift monday and thursday. split workouts keep demanding your nervous system to fire up every day so you might eventualy over train hit a plataue. While doing a full body workout try to keep exercises to the point like mabe one exercise per body part with as high enough weight as you can but still being able to do good reps from 6 to 12. For me the main exercises are dead lift, squat, benching, dumbell press, bar curl, military press, and of course lat pull downs. if you wanna do abs make sure to keep reps at a good value as in dont do over 100 of anything on abs which is why you should ass wieght to whatever ab exercise you do, for forearms, calves, and neck ( i usaly do these muscles once every 2 weeks) Do reverse curl, calf rises on squat bar, and hang weights on your neck and lift slowly. of course those are my exercises but the key thing is to not overtrain with doing more than 1 or 2 exercises per body part since you realy dont need to
My plan as it stands right now is to lift full body on Tuesday and Friday. My set looks like this Squats, Deadlifts, Calf Raises, Bench Press, Pull ups, Bent Over Rows, Overhead Press, Lat Raises, Dips

Each exercise has a warmup set of 80% and then 2 sets of the max I can do getting 8-10 good reps. There's a 1-2 min rest between each set and exercise. It takes longer to do (A little over an hour), but I find it's easier to spend more time in the gym when I'm there rather than make it to the gym more often.

So now my next question
I can only do 3 sets of 5 pull ups at the moment, is it better to keep working on those or to do pull downs instead and get 8-10 reps?

jeffrerr
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jeffrerr » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:17 am

Do the pull ups as they will then become the best indicator of you gaining strength! I'd kill to do 3 sets of 5 pull ups! lol

John

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:47 pm

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:I can only do 3 sets of 5 pull ups at the moment, is it better to keep working on those or to do pull downs instead and get 8-10 reps?
If you stay stuck at 3 sets of 5 pull ups for a while, you should try to change things up - maybe add sets of negative pull ups (slowly lowering yourself with added weight), or adding sets of assisted pull ups at the end. Or maybe putting pull ups first in your order of exercises.

Dr. Zoidberg
n00b
n00b

Post by Dr. Zoidberg » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:27 am

I'm obviously no expert, but I started by doing assisted pull-ups and dips, and gradually I was able to do them un-assisted. Dips came along much faster than pull ups though, as I'm able to do 3 sets of 15 dips versus the 3 sets of 5 pull ups.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:47 am

You can try doing things like 5 sets of 3 then increasing to 5 sets of 4, etc. Even though your not real strong in this yet, try doing a few reps with weight. It feels really good to do, and it could be a way to progress.