Exercise in the morning

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Helena115
Apprentice
Apprentice

Exercise in the morning

Post by Helena115 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:45 pm

How soon after you wake up in the morning is it okay to exercise? I do my routine 2-3 times per week, and like to do it before I go to work. Usually I wake up, have a glass of milk and then get straight to work. Is that ok or do I need to give my body more time to wake up?

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:27 pm

I would think it would be fine. The milk has some vital nutrients, and if it doesn't bother you to work out right afterwards, that's a bonus for you/ Bottom line, if it i working for you, then it's OK. It might not be for other people. There is no one correct answer, other than does it work for You? If the answer is Yes, stay with it.
Tim

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: Exercise in the morning

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:30 pm

Helena115 wrote:How soon after you wake up in the morning is it okay to exercise? I do my routine 2-3 times per week, and like to do it before I go to work. Usually I wake up, have a glass of milk and then get straight to work. Is that ok or do I need to give my body more time to wake up?
If you haven't had any problems doing your routine before work so far, it's probably safe to continue. Many people like morning workouts, since it's hard to find time to work out later in the day. One of my yoga instructors says that she does a series of sun salutation yoga exercises immediately upon awakening on most days.

amivan

Post by amivan » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:49 pm

The only downside to exercising in the morning is that you won't be firing on all cylinders (CNS-wise) at first but if you've been doing it for a while then chances are you've already become adjusted to it, and if not, you will.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:43 am

A friend of mine, who I train with twice per week, works night shift. He wakes up about 4pm, eats, then goes to the gym for about 5-5:30pm - so it's like first thing in the morning for him. He says he felt weak/drained for the first couple of weeks but now he prefers it. He says you get used to it. He trains with me on a Fri and Sat, about 7-8pm on a fri,about 4-5pm on a sat. I don't know how his body clock can cope. He trains/lives to the night shift life during the week, then Friday - Monday, he trains / lives to a normal day shift life. But he has no problems.

And it's not like his training isn't demanding. Trains the same as me - for strength, with a focus on squat, DL's, and Bench (and subsequently, upper back). Does a lot of lifting in around 90%1RM. Pulled 420lbs @ 168 b/w recently, about 1 year after he started lifting, and he started with back pain (and accumulated a few other injuries along the way), too. So it's safe to assume that morning lifting hasn't held him back.

As for the CNS - if you warm up efficiently, that won't be a problem.

KPj

lightningsix
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by lightningsix » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:50 am

The problem, I would think, would be giving your body the right amount, and enough... nutrients throughout the day to still have energy and continue your fat burning throughout the day.

I would think that if I woke up and hit the gym immediately that sure it would probably feel good and get you pumped for the day but a few hours later I would probably be crashing. I would no doubt need a nap throughout the day at some point. :D

Just the way my body reacts...and my 2cents though

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:52 pm

I read somewhere, and now i can't find it for the life of me, might be on here even, that the spine is full of fluid when you wake up, and should wait 45mins to an hour to lift heavy things.

But i don't think your within that time frame...

KPj

Post by KPj » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:24 am

That's true, according to Dr Stuart McGill. Basically, as you sleep you're spine hydrates - swells with water. This put's you at a greater risk of disc injuries, especially during flexion/rounding. McGill recommends that any bending activities aren't performed within the first hour of wakening up. 90% of the water that will leave the discs will leave within the first hour of being up. So after an hour, injury risk decreases quite significantly.

Most will break this guideline as soon as they put their socks on.

Of course, if you believe in no flexion, or at the very least, keeping it to a minimun, then technically it won't be much of an issue. For example, I won't intentionally flex at all during my whole warm up and work out. You can achieve the same movements with your hips if you're not tight as a drum anyway. And i'm conscious when I waken and dress etc not to flex. My friend, mentioned previously, is the same, since technically he trains in the morning. Normally doing heavy DL's about 1 -1.5 hours after wakening.

KPj

jeffrerr
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jeffrerr » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:57 am

If you can get to the gym within an hour of getting out of bed you need to stop living at the gym! Or stop working out at home! lol

But seriously, I would think that KPj is right and that you should be protecting the spine in any movements you were doing in the gym anyway!

John

KPj

Post by KPj » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:06 am

jeffrerr wrote: But seriously, I would think that KPj is right and that you should be protecting the spine in any movements you were doing in the gym anyway!

John
As much as I would love to take credit for it, I didn't come up with it. It's all info from Dr Stuart McGill. It's backed up with loads of science, a lot of well known S & C coaches are also on his band wagon (robertson, cressey, boyle, hartman - off the top of my head), and most importantly for me personally - it just makes sense.

It's all a matter of opinion. But I just felt it was important to make that clear - that all my 'back' stuff isn't my own original thoughts.

KPj

Helena115
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Helena115 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:33 am

Thanks for all the helpful replies! I'll just keep on doing it then, since I'm not experiencing any discomfort from it. Except for getting sleepy when I lay on the floor to do crunches and stuff :green:
I don't think I'm risking any spine injury since I'm not exactly lifting anything heavy. I have a long way to "heavy" from my 3 kg dumbells... :lol:

Thanks again guys :smile:

jeffrerr
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jeffrerr » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:38 am

Just remember that good technique protects the back anyway! Most back injuries occur with light weights, but more in everyday situations with the back distorted at odd angles, like picking up a child or reaching over your desk for a stapler!

I would say as long as there is 30 minutes between getting out of bed and starting your warm up you should be fine, but that's just my opinion taking into account what has been said, the research cited and my own experience of being a morning workout person and not haveing a back issues! Well none that have been diagnosed anyway! (touches head to follow the old 'touch wood' saying!)

Cheers,

John

KPj

Post by KPj » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:05 am

jeffrerr wrote:Just remember that good technique protects the back anyway! Most back injuries occur with light weights, but more in everyday situations with the back distorted at odd angles, like picking up a child or reaching over your desk for a stapler!
Great point. And again, according to McGill, absoloutley true - most back injuries occur with low, or no load, and not whilst lifting heavy weights.

I'm all for early morning lifing. I guess in a practical sense, all I would say is - just be aware of early symptoms. Tightness or 'achyness' in the lower back. Or, if you feel you're self getting stiffer than normal when you waken. In which case, have a recap and see what it could be (for example, excessive flexing straight after wakening up).

KPj