I used to smoke
30%

Total votes: 23

Rik-Blades
Associate Member
Associate Member

Smoking

Post by Rik-Blades » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:30 pm

Tomorrow, my wife and I are going to give up smoking (again!), but this time I want to make it stick for good!

We have several boxes of Nicotine patches to help with the cravings, gum to chew and even a plastic thingy that pretends to be a Cigarette.

I'm wondering if you guy's will indulge me in my poll and find out how many of you have smoked (or not) and if you did, how long ago and how did you break free of this disgusting habit.

I've smoked for around 20 years now and been lifting seriously for 12 months after a break of 10 years. Although i've not seen any evidence to suggest smoking will hamper my goal to add muscle mass, maybe one of you knows different? I think i'm looking for some support.
I have a love hate relationship with smoking. I actually like smoking, but hate it's effects and if I smell a Cigarette whilst working out or just after, it chokes me instantly, cant think of anything worse! 30 minutes later, I light up.

wilburburns

Post by wilburburns » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:13 pm

I quit smoking in April of this year, two months after my youngest daughter was born.

This was after 11 or so years of smoking.

Like Many, I tried to quit many times before I actually quit.

Also, I was unable to quit on my own, the Physical Addiction was to strong. However, I relied on Chantix to get me past the physical part. After that, It's all Mental and a matter of will power. Chantix will also help with the mental part also, if you follow their instructions.

Find your motivation and stay strong. BTW: My Motivation is to be healthy and live a long life for and with my two daughters.

Good Luck,
Cliff

jeffrerr
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jeffrerr » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:32 pm

I've never been a smoker but I had a massive post regarding my dad quitting in the 80's written up and my connection died!

Anyway good luck, just remember that it's mostly psychological! As long as you reinforce it in your head you'll get past the cravings!

Good luck to you and your wife mate!

John

bob

Post by bob » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:08 pm

I quit in 1982 when i started my family. I didn't want to expose my kids and wife to my smoke. I was involved in sports at that time too and was easily winded from just mild exertion. Haven't had a cigarette since.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:37 pm

I smoke, and i'm ashamed of it. 28 years old, been smoking for 14 years.

My wife hates it, my son makes fun of me, and i smell.

There i said it... It stinks being addicted.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:38 pm

All you smokers are bad people. You ought to be ashamed of yourselves. Hang on...

I had to put a dip in. Now, where was I?

ellerbus
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ellerbus » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:06 pm

I smoked a little in college, but never took up the habit. Just didn't do anything for me. My father on the other hand smoked for over 30 years. He told me he started during boot camp, cause back in the 60's if you didn't smoke during downtime, you were picking up trash ... and he didn't feel like picking up trash. Whether or not that's true .. got me.

During the last 15 years, he tried almost everything to quit ... acupuncture, hypnosis, patches, gum, etc. He was never able to kick the habit, until he was diagnosed with Small Cell Lung Cancer (they gave him 6 months, he made it 1-1/2 years).

I hope you are able to quit, and replace your smoking habit with a lifting habit. Best of Luck to you!

Pauly420
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauly420 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:13 pm

I smoked from the age of 14 until 23. I didnt think id be able to do it but with the help of a prescription medication called Chantix it was easy. Basically you goto your doctor or call him and ask him to phone that into a pharmacy for you. The side effects may seem extreme but trust me they are rare.

I took it for 1 month (start with 1 pill a day then move to 2), cost me about 140 bucks because my insurance didnt cover it but after that month was up i was done. Habit broken, and for a year and a half now ive been hitting the gym and feeling great.

Chantix starting month pack is the key. It binds to the nicotine receptors in your brain and replaces the craving. The reason patches and other stuff dont work is beacuse your replacing nicotine with nicotine. TRY CHANTIX and succeed.