Tired,Cant sleep

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, parth, stuward

Nanda
n00b
n00b

Tired,Cant sleep

Post by Nanda » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:52 am

I have lost 9 kgs in the past 91 days(3 days of weight training with a personal trainer and an hour plus of cardio on other days. My diet is ok -nothing drastic.)
My problem is that oflate, side bends with a cable give me blackouts so do some other upper body exercises.Am i overtraining?

Rik-Blades
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Rik-Blades » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:01 am

I'm no expert, but anything that causes blackouts is probably not good and needs investigating by a proffesional a.s.a.p.

It may just be low blood pressure, but better to be safe than sorry, plus blackouts in the gym could lead to a VERY nasty injury (for you and others!)

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:17 pm

Are you taking any diet pills or drinking Red Line?

How high is your caffine intake?

How much water are you drinking during the day?

What do you mean by "diet is okay?"

Is there a common body position every time you blackout, ie: you were bent over at the time?

The answers to these questions, and others I'm sure i'm missing will help these guys help you.

(But listening to RIK about the professional might be a good route to take also.)

Nanda
n00b
n00b

Post by Nanda » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:20 pm

Thanx- No diet pills
I normally have 2 cups of coffee a day ,2 plus litres of water overall
my diet that I am pretty consistant with
cereal with fruit and milk for bf, a sandwich and coffee for lunch, 2 fruits and a glass of milk mid afternoon and salad,bread and coffee for dinner.

My upper body is quite weak and I have noticed that exercises like cable side bend(35 pounds) and bicep curls(15 pounds)really exhaust me and make me feel dizzy. However lower body workouts are no problem whatsoever.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:41 pm

I'm not an expert, and others can help you more but a few suggestions and some more questions:

When do you work out in the day & what does your routine look like?

How much sleep are you getting on average?

How's the alcohol intake?

You have very little protein in your diet, very little food period to be quite frank. I would imagine your issue could be greatly improved with more calories. (Unless you're eating a salad the size of yourself & a chicken breast or two mixed in.) I would recommend you buy yourself some Whey, and start mixing that in, and eating more natural protein in general. Fat intake could also be an issue, you might want to up that too, for energy. Honestly I would say you need to eat more food, plain and simple.

If your lower body doesn't bother you like upper body does, I would imagine your not pushing yourself as hard as you do when you do upper body.

I get dizzy when I squat & deadlift heavy quite often, this is probably not too good, but I just rest a bit more than I normally do before my next single. Not saying you should blow it off like I do, I kind of enjoy actually, which could be a personal issue.

On a personal opinion note: If you're that weak in upper body, drop the isolation exercises for now and work on getting strong with compound lifts. Save the energy you curl with for a lift that is more productive, or better yet cooking dinner when you get home. Unless (even if) your looking to become a bodybuilder, you don't have to worry about your biceps at first. They will get strong from compound pulling exercises, and then you can worry about proportion.

Bottom line, unless it’s a medical issue (listen to RIK) I would bet it's a lack of calories that makes you weak and tired.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:10 am

Nanda:

I want to be really serious up front. Stop lifting at all until you have medical clearance. The first thing that comes to mind about your black-outs is an abnormal heart rhythm. Some of these are life-threatening, but may only cause mild symptoms for a while. So stop doing anything that requires exertion, and get to your doctor. Like tomorrow. Please.

After you have medical clearance, there's a lot for us to discuss here regarding diet, routine, etc. But anything else is just a side issue until you get things checked out.

If the first doctor doesn't seem to take this seriously, go see another. At the very least you should have an exercise stress test. Tell 'em some old country doc on a weight-training forum said so, that should impress 'em.

Andy (I'm a real doctor, I don't just play one on TV!)