Abs and introduction

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

LuckyBuff
n00b
n00b

Abs and introduction

Post by LuckyBuff » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:12 pm

Hello, this probably going to sound wierd but i just found this website and i have a lot of questions to ask, so can someone please tell me what the limit is on questions???

also here is my first question

Is it ok to work abs everyday? Are sit ups realy bad for you? When doing abs what is a proper breathing technique?

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:38 pm

I haven't heard that there is any limit on questions, but it is best to ask just one or two related questions at a time, like you just did. Also, when you ask a question, it will start a dialog. Once in a while someone asks a question, and then never participates in the conversation. It's nice to know that what we answer has been received and considered.

Abs need recovery just like any other muscle. How often you train them depends on how hard you work them, but they probably need more than a day to recover. Sit-ups can contribute to posture problems, and there are lots of better ab exercises. http://exercise.about.com/od/abs/ss/abexercises_2.htm

I exhale during concentric, inhale during eccentric.

LuckyBuff
n00b
n00b

Post by LuckyBuff » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:42 pm

Thank you, not about something else, should i dedicate a whole day to abs or just add abs to my usual workout. what i mean is are abs a major or big muscle or is it small like biceps?

nygmen

Re: Abs and introduction

Post by nygmen » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:42 pm

Start the ab info search here...

http://exrx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5236
http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/RectusAbdominis.html
LuckyBuff wrote:so can someone please tell me what the limit is on questions???
There seems to be no limit, coming from a fellow new guy, as long as they are relevant, and respectful, and you have done at least a bit of your own research.

Look around before you post stuff, you might save yourself the anticipation fo waiting for an answer by finding one yourself.

But don't worry, the people here love to help those that want to help themselves. And there are some beyond smart & educated people here.

As long as you listen and contribute something valuable to the community i would say it's pretty cool to ask away...

(I could be wrong thou, and everyone secretly hates me... :lol: )

EDIT: JD beat me to it... He has a good point about one or two at a time...
Last edited by nygmen on Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:45 pm

LuckyBuff wrote:Thank you, not about something else, should i dedicate a whole day to abs or just add abs to my usual workout. what i mean is are abs a major or big muscle or is it small like biceps?
I think most people suggest adding ab work to the end of the workout. If you are new to lifting, you should probably be doing a full-body workout, and you can include abs each time. What sort of program are you using?

LuckyBuff
n00b
n00b

Post by LuckyBuff » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:03 pm

thank you and i am farely new to lifting in fact i just got into high school and i dont even think its a good idea since i dont know what sports to join! Football is fun right now but i need a sport for winter does wnyone know any good sports that are hard and demanding on body. the people here tell me to join hockey but im no hockey palyer but problem is i might have to unless there are other sports where you can hit people and take them down, also our basketball team sucks

ds4bz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ds4bz » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:48 pm

If your school has a wrestling team, join that. I was in the best shape of my life when doing that, but it takes a very physical toll on your body. However, you will get to use massive amounts of strength from all over your body and still be able to keep lifting and putting on muscle.

NorCal707
n00b
n00b

Post by NorCal707 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:16 pm

When did you start lifting? When I first started I messed around with several ab programs but couldn’t get anything that quite ‘fit’. I ended up doing run of the mill sit ups six days a week (in addition to 50-100 push ups) until I could do 200+ with good form and end feeling like I could do another 200+ without much trouble. Then I went back and found that a specific routine was much more effective and doable since I had developed more strength and endurance.

If you are farther along than that just ignore it.

As for sports have you considered Lacrosse (if there is a league in your area)?

LuckyBuff
n00b
n00b

Post by LuckyBuff » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:14 am

um as for wrestling i dont think i should because ive seen people try to cut weight for that and it does not look fun at all. Plus dont you have to have realy good endurance to do it? I think i would drop without a doubt!