Random Rant...

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

sickboy
Novice
Novice

Random Rant...

Post by sickboy » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:11 pm

Today at the gym, I got angry at somebody, for the first time ever...but this is absurd. A couple of youngsters were doing bicep curls ON THE SQUAT RACK, with the barbell. The lazy bas***** did not even had the nerve to pick up the barbell from the floor, they used the rack! I had to wait until the pair of skinny-legged idiots finished their 8 sets (yes 8, I counted)!!!!

Should I ask the manager to put a sign that says "ONLY FOR SQUATS" on the rack...

Sorry, I needed to share this one...now I feel better.
Last edited by sickboy on Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: Ramdom Rant...

Post by Stephen Johnson » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:45 pm

sickboy wrote:Today at the gym, I got angry at somebody, for the first time ever...but this is absurd. A couple of youngsters were doing bicep curls ON THE SQUAT RACK, with the barbell. The lazy bas***** did not even had the nerve to pick up the barbell from the floor, they used the rack! I had to wait until the pair of skinny-legged idiots finished their 8 sets (yes 8, I counted)!!!!

Should I ask the manager to put a sign that says "ONLY FOR SQUATS" on the rack...

Sorry, I needed to share this one...now I feel better.
If it took place during a busy time, I would have said something to the kids, and if they blew me off, the manager. You can do curls anywhere in the gym, but to squat safely, you need a rack or cage.

Personally speaking, I usually don't have much problem getting to use a cage or rack since most of my gym's members are lining up at the leg presses and leg extension machines.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:45 pm

Unless I'm waiting for them, as in your case, I love SRC (squat rack curls).

When I'm pulling 275 from the floor, not a lot by any normal means for someone my age & size, and someone is grunting and slamming down 55 after some 'intense' curls next to me, it makes me feel like I'm accomplishing even more than I was originally. Makes me smile. (also tempts me to squat on the preacher bench. Man would that be fun, all those funny looks.)

It's an inconvenience, and generally rude in my opinion if someone is waiting to squat, to use the rack for curls, but it happens everyday. I just use it as motivation to pull more or push more. (If the place is dead, let them, I don't care I'm not waiting.)

But I DL in front of the rack because we don't have a cage, does that make me rude too?

(Personally I hate doing curls period, I find them boring as can be.)

This conversation seems to come up a lot...

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:18 pm

Glad you weren't at my gym today. I was using the power rack, like I always do, to do shoulder presses, overhead shrugs and another press I can't remember the name of. God forbid I do heavy partials on dead lifts.

sickboy
Novice
Novice

Post by sickboy » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:58 pm

Well, let's be clear... this guys were doing about 65lb curls, I do not think you need a rack for that. That was what got me. To be fair, I am usually the only one in the squat rack (except for a tiny, tiny guy that squats twice as much as me, by the way... go figure) so I got surprised somebody else was (mis)using it...

Now, for shoulder press, I do use the power rack too, when I do heavy loads just for safety reasons...

nygmen wrote:Unless I'm waiting for them, as in your case, I love SRC (squat rack curls).

So ... there is really such an exercise? Perhaps my rant is more about ignorance... I did not know about SRC, but I still think that to use a rack is a bit too much, don't you think?

nygmen wrote:But I DL in front of the rack because we don't have a cage, does that make me rude too?
I know some do too. I DL on the rubber pads, makes it a bit less noisy...
SJ wrote:Personally speaking, I usually don't have much problem getting to use a cage or rack since most of my gym's members are lining up at the leg presses and leg extension machines.
That is also my case. I could have also used the smith machine, but I can not squat well on those, I do not know why, I do not feel like I have full control.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:40 pm

sickboy wrote:
nygmen wrote:Unless I'm waiting for them, as in your case, I love SRC (squat rack curls).

So ... there is really such an exercise? Perhaps my rant is more about ignorance... I did not know about SRC, but I still think that to use a rack is a bit too much, don't you think?
I totally agree with you. It is plain rude IMO to curl in a squat rack.

Yes it's a well documented exercise that annoys those that wish to properly use the equipment endless. Often takes place around mirror workouts, and college boys who know no better.

sickboy wrote:I could have also used the smith machine, but I can not squat well on those, I do not know why, I do not feel like I have full control.
Please don't ever squat in a SM again. Do your body a favor and listen to what it is telling you.

Rik-Blades
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Rik-Blades » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:51 am

Try taking a motorbike to the gym and ride it on the treadmill, then ask...'whats wrong with this picture?'

sickboy
Novice
Novice

Post by sickboy » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:26 pm

Rik-Blades wrote:Try taking a motorbike to the gym and ride it on the treadmill, then ask...'whats wrong with this picture?'
Ha, good point

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:30 am

lol, a classic rant.

Normally if you just ask them if they have many sets left, they will hurry up. Especially if you just stand beside them and wait on them. Watch them when they are lifting but don't make much, if any eye contact. It creates a very uncomfortable atmosphere, which most of the time, get's you the rack quicker.

Once I was waiting on someone and this didn't work. He was doing endless sets of curls. So I just said, "ok if i work in with you?". "yeh, no problem", he said. He was doing curls with about 40ish lbs, so when I was my turn I just put the bar on the rack and started my warm up sets for box squats - which involved putting the steps in to create the 'boxes'. After a few sets (he was STILL doing curls/power cleans), I could tell he thought I was nuts.

It was more of a work out taking all the weight off, then putting it back on than it was actually squatting. But I was raging so it seemed worth it at the time.

KPj

ellerbus
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Random Rant...

Post by ellerbus » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:37 am

sickboy wrote:Today at the gym, I got angry at somebody, for the first time ever...but this is absurd. A couple of youngsters were doing bicep curls ON THE SQUAT RACK, with the barbell. The lazy bas***** did not even had the nerve to pick up the barbell from the floor, they used the rack! I had to wait until the pair of skinny-legged idiots finished their 8 sets (yes 8, I counted)!!!!
What if you just told them that they could get bigger biceps "faster" by using dumbbells or preachers? They might believe you and never use the squat rack for curls again?!

:roll:

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:18 am

ellerbus wrote:
What if you just told them that they could get bigger biceps "faster" by using dumbbells or preachers? They might believe you and never use the squat rack for curls again?!

It has nothing to do with effectiveness. It's how much weight they can throw up. :)

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:24 am

Stu--he's just suggesting that you TELL them that in order to get them out of the rack. I don't think he believes it's true. :lol:

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:27 am

Jungledoc wrote:Stu--he's just suggesting that you TELL them that in order to get them out of the rack. I don't think he believes it's true. :lol:
Yeah, tell them that you only do preacher curls and use the Hammer curl machine on your "arm day" because curls in the squat rack don't get you the peak. Everyone knows they work your lower biceps more than your upper biceps.

I mean, duh!

Now I gotta do my legs before I get to do my arms, the real muscles!

sickboy
Novice
Novice

Post by sickboy » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:14 am

ellerbus wrote:

That is a good idea. Next time...

tyler

Post by tyler » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:48 pm

When I went to the gym...it only had one squat rack, but since I don't squat I just did deadlifts with it. But sometimes it was being used (whether it was appropiate exercises or not). So I'd just go and do my other leg exercises and come back to the deadlifts later. I'd hit up my lunges, and if they still weren't done, I'd do some hyperextenstions, and if they still weren't done, I'd do some dumbell front squats, and if they for some reason still weren't done (which never happened) I would do my calf raises. If by then they weren't done...I'd slip something in their water bottle I guess. But I guess I'm asking did u wait the entire time to just go and hit up something else and then go back?