has anyone had caffeine before?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

caangelxox

has anyone had caffeine before?

Post by caangelxox » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:40 pm

Will that actually make you react faster (playing sports or in any kind of situation like communication and such)? I never had it before and am thinking about trying a supplement to help me for softball in the outfield and also communication (I tend to stutter a lot when trying to say something or ask a question). I don't really stutter when someone asks me a question though, only when I ask or want to say something.

I am also thinking about getting amino acid complete supplement to help with my ADD (cheaper than taking a few amino acids I take separately).

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: has anyone had caffeine before?

Post by Stephen Johnson » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:17 pm

caangelxox wrote:= I never had it before and am thinking about trying a supplement to help me for softball in the outfield and also communication (I tend to stutter a lot when trying to say something or ask a question)..
You've never drank coffee? A cup of normallly brewed coffee has about 100 milligrams of caffeine. Specialty brewed coffees contain up to 200 milligrams. Plus there are all kinds of caffeinated energy drinks like Red Bull

Caffeine is a stimulant that will enable some people to focus better and combat fatigue. But other people are sensitive to caffeine - for those people, anxiety reactions, nausea and heart palpitations can occur.

Jungledoc

Re: has anyone had caffeine before?

Post by Jungledoc » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:34 am

caangelxox wrote:Will that actually make you react faster (playing sports or in any kind of situation like communication and such)? I never had it before and am thinking about trying a supplement to help me for softball in the outfield and also communication (I tend to stutter a lot when trying to say something or ask a question). I don't really stutter when someone asks me a question though, only when I ask or want to say something.

I am also thinking about getting amino acid complete supplement to help with my ADD (cheaper than taking a few amino acids I take separately).
Lots of people with ADD find that caffeine helps their focus. It has a pretty short effect, so it isn't really practical for true treatment of ADD. The prescriptions last longer, and have a smoother effect. Don't be afraid of trying prescription treatment for ADD, by the way. It's really very safe, and often makes a huge positive difference in a person's life.

Does eating meat or eggs change your ADD symptoms? Then I doubt that an amino acid supplement could. ADD is very subject to the placebo effect, so often people try something, and then feel that it helps, at least at first. Whatever you try, get a fairly objective person (friend, parent, teacher, etc.) to give you input about how you are doing. Doctors often use a formal questionnaire, or sometimes even a computerized test of concentration and reaction time to assess the effect of treatment.

amivan

Post by amivan » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:54 am

If you play for an NCAA team be careful, guarana is a banned substance and is in every single energy drink out there and if you ever get tested and have more than 15mg/mL in your urine you would probably be suspended for a game, or something-it's not the most serious banned substance on the list so I doubt the punishment is as rough.

LuckyBuff
n00b
n00b

Post by LuckyBuff » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:19 am

I used to have sport drinks all the time but when i got off of them i felt so much better for some reason of course i had a headahce for like the first day but i got over it

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:03 pm

I am going to try this...

http://www.vizuoxl.com/

I ordered one bottle to try for one month and I am hoping it will improve my reaction time and alertness (and paying attention better, easter and faster). I hope its what they say it is! It is not that expensive, so it does not hurt to try.

http://www.vizuoxl.com/Vizuo-XL-Sports- ... uo-XL.html is the complete ingredient listing

sickboy
Novice
Novice

Post by sickboy » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:33 pm

In my personal opinion, unless you are a competitive professional athlete, you should avoid taking supplements (well, whey is not exactly in that category). Not to mention be careful with self medication. Most of the time supplements are quite hard on the liver and they are not regulated as strongly as true medication by the FDA. Professional athletes are under care of medical doctors who have specializations in sport medicine and understand the particular needs of each athlete.

A cup of coffee is perhaps a good start, mostly because coffee is a delicious drink when done properly :) But I do not see the need of taking pills for that.

Just my 2 cents.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:50 pm

Supplements are safe for the most part. Most of them don't work though.

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:02 pm

Maybe you just need more sleep. Caffeine is no substitute for rest.

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:27 pm

carnitine and tyrosine gives me a lot of energy and I don't get nervous anymore at school, playing sports, test, or anything...so I know thats working. I have been taking those for about 2 months. I also take jarrows formula PS for my brain. I am trying to also get rid of my ADD and have a normal brain.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:32 pm

Well, take the supplement and let us know how it works.

I've been making sure I get caffeine before my workouts lately, just to ensure my energy level and alertness is high. Plus it helps keep me from collapsing from fatigue on the drive home. :)

jeffrerr
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jeffrerr » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:34 am

caangelxox wrote: I am trying to also get rid of my ADD and have a normal brain.
I've done a LOT of research on ADD and ADHD as well ODD (Oppositional Defiant Disorder) and a lot of my research has lead me to believe that you and other sufferers of ADD, ADHD and ODD have absolutely normal brains! There are many people who have previously succeeded in life who would in this day and age have been diagnosed with one of these "disorders"! A lot of Comedy actors and high profile successful businessmen had childhood/adolescent "traits and symptoms" of these disorders, but in their time it was considerably more acceptable to leave school early and follow a career path that you enjoyed. A lot of the time ADD and ADHD are made worse by school environment, lack of parenting skills, the "medication fix" in today's society and lack of appropriate prescription of good treatment by doctors who dish out drugs instead of dishing out counselling appointments for the sufferer, their parent's and their teachers.

This is just my 2 cents worth, but I have worked with very young children who were misdiagnosed as ADD, later to be re-diagnosed as Autistic, and teenage children who were thought to have ADD, ADHD or ODD but it was later found in most cases to be that they just weren't good at the traditional version of school and after being placed in classes where a different style was used they prospered and are now working in areas like mechanics, banks, hospitals and schools. Also there were some that were found to have been 'abused' both emotionally and physically and were actually suffering from post traumatic stress disorder in which case the drugs they use to fix ADD and ADHD, Ritalin and Dexyamethasone, made the condition worse!

I also want to say I'm not trying to say that you don't have ADD or that ADD doesn't exist or anything because it is real, but some of the 'knee jerk' treatments for it can be dangerous and addictive. I'm just saying that before you self medicate against it I would consider other alternatives, like doing some research on what drug companies 'sponsor' your doctors practice, have you tried counselling or medication and is there the possibility that it is more about your environment (ie, classroom, school, home life, circle of friends, etc.) that could play a large factor in your attention and/or behaviour issues?

If you ever want to know more about the research of literature and experimentation I did for my work during my Nursing degree PM me and we can discuss it privately!

Cheers,

John

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:04 am

jeffrerr wrote:... what drug companies 'sponsor' your doctors practice,...
That's really a pretty bizarre comment. Drug companies do not sponsor doctors' practices. It's hard for me not to take a comment like this a little personally.

For about 10 years I devoted between 1/3 and 1/2 of my working life to the treatment of ADHD, and I didn't profit or benefit in any way from any drug company. I chose medicines to the best of my knowledge and ability that would help individual patients, I prescribed generics whenever I could. I truly believe that the vast, vast majority of doctors do the same. It's pretty easy to say that a doctor should counsel instead of medicate, except that counseling isn't nearly as helpful as medicine. And what if I'm a doctor (remember what the "M" behind my name stands for?) and not a counselor? And who in the world is going to do this counseling and who in the world is going to pay for it? I treated the ADHD kids in my county because there wasn't a child psychiatrist in the county who would accept medicaid patients. There were hundreds of kids (and adults) who would have gotten no help at all if I hadn't been there "dishing out medicine". I also encouraged the use of many other strategies, but the ADHD brain does NOT function normally (there is a whole body of functional MRI evidence of this), and a good share of the time it takes meds to get it working closely enough to normal for them to even apply some of those strategies. I watched many of those kids turn around in school and in life. I was fortunate enough to get to keep track of a few of them on through college and beyond.

Sorry, mods. Talk about hijacking. I'll quit now.

sickboy
Novice
Novice

Post by sickboy » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:38 pm

Jungledoc:

This is exactly the point I wanted to convey. There is people there -doctors- who are the only ones that should be prescribing after diagnostic, either medicine (drugs) or enhancers (supplements).
What I think is that when one self-medicates one has the risk of taking the wrong dosage, too much and it is dangerous, too little and it is not worth it.
For instance, I have a friend who took some supplement pills, and he thought taking twice a day was a good idea because he got the "boost". He got selenium poisoning which is quite nasty. The truth is that a normal person does not need to take extra supplements if one has a balanced and correct diet. I would say only competitive athletes need them (or if your doctor things you need it, for some condition or other).

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:41 pm

Yep!