hack squat problems

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

strathmeyer
Apprentice
Apprentice

hack squat problems

Post by strathmeyer » Fri May 12, 2006 12:25 pm

So, my gym has no real way to do squats. There's a bench press barbell which I just started doing deadlifts with. When I first started lifting again a year ago I moved up on the leg press until I was doing 4 sets of 22 at it's highest weight, which was exhausting and made me hate myself.

I really need some leg exercises other than extensions, curls, calves, adductors and abductors. Today I tried hack squats for the first time. I put 255 total on the bar and popped out three quick sets (10/7/7). Now, there's nothing that feels akward about the movement, it's just that the bar seems to want to scrape the whole way up my hamstrings and butt. I've just started deadlifts and don't lift much weight or even put the weigth down between reps, so I'm not accustomed to the bar scraping my shins there. Is the bar scraping my butt just something I'm supposed to deal with?

It makes me go up on my toes and do other funky things to try and get my butt out of the way. I find that I try to erect my back and throw my shoulders back early, which may be the wrong thing to do. I'm afraid that I'm going to loose my balance and drop the weight on my legs, especially as I go up in weigth. Any advice?

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Fri May 12, 2006 12:34 pm

Try some Zerchers. You can load up and take it off a BP rack
http://jva.ontariostrongman.ca/Zlift.htm
Another good one is the Jefferson or straddle lift. Put a barbell on the ground, and straddle it, so that the bar points in front and behind you. Squat down, one arm in front of you, one behind, grab the bar and squat it up.As to the hacks, well it's just something you have to get used to.
Tim

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Fri May 12, 2006 12:35 pm

Many people do old-school hack squats with their heels elevated on a 2 - 4" block, or on some plates.

JeffD

Post by JeffD » Fri May 12, 2006 1:06 pm

I do hack squats regularly. Only problem i have is the bar pressing against my lower back leg, just below the calf muscle. Actually have a little bruise there right now...i dont let that stop me though.