Thick bar bench press

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Hoister

Post by Hoister » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:55 pm

I personally use nothing but thick bars. I have 2" barbells, db's and farmers handles along with sleeves for each that increase the bar to 2.5" and 3" (3" is actually too much for my small hands).

I have noticed that i can press more efficiently and higher numbers with thick bars, probably due to the position of the bar as it rests in your palms - directly over the end of your forearm (as someone else already mentioned).

As for pulling movements and curls with thick bars - THE best grip improver there is. Anyone in MMA, wrestling or any other sport or activity requiring string and quick grip should be using thick bars, blocks of wood, softballs drilled through to accept a cable for hanging weight, etc to improve their grip. When i was in mma, our training team/staff insisted on the thick bars. I hated them back then because it seemed to have an adverse affect on my guitar playing, but eventually i adapted and now i have the best vibrato there is :lol: AND strong grip.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:04 pm

Hoister, I didn't know you did MMA. Did you compete or just train?

I agree on the pressing. Maybe my max is theoretically lower when I bench with a fat bar but it just feels easier.

Hoister

Post by Hoister » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:55 pm

pdellorto wrote:Hoister, I didn't know you did MMA. Did you compete or just train?
Both. Between Kick Boxing, Boxing, Tai and MMA - tournaments, matches, survivor series, etc - my overall record was 87w/15L/0D, 1 DQ. IN MMA, i was 47-0, 1 DQ. All my losses were due to injury - broken hands, feet, knee caps and jaws rendering me unable to continue (Ring doctors'decisions, not mine - i have no sense enough to quit).

I gave it up 12 years ago to focus on career and family and because i was a session player and musician at the time (guitarist) - having broken hands was not an asset to my musical endeavors. There wasnt a lot of opportunity to make a living at it back then either, at least not one that was good enough to keep myself in it, support a wife and family, etc, etc.

I still employ a lot of the training practises to keep in shape. I found out a bout 3 weeks ago that i still have some of the talent when i caught someone trying to break into my neighbors car and he refused stop when i told him to....now i am 88-15-0, 1 DQ.