Tabata protocol exercises

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

ballophun
Novice
Novice

Tabata protocol exercises

Post by ballophun » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:43 pm

What would you guys recommend as the best exercise for the tabata protocol?

I'm more interested in toning by upper body so I was thinking a rowing machine.
Also what would you guys recommend in the way of rowing machines? There are all these cheap ones on eBay but I'm worried it'll break if I go flat out. Also, what's the go with the magnetic ones and flywheel ones? Why is magnetic cheaper?

Cheers.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: Tabata protocol exercises

Post by Stephen Johnson » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:11 pm

ballophun wrote:What would you guys recommend as the best exercise for the tabata protocol?

I'm more interested in toning by upper body so I was thinking a rowing machine.
Also what would you guys recommend in the way of rowing machines? There are all these cheap ones on eBay but I'm worried it'll break if I go flat out. Also, what's the go with the magnetic ones and flywheel ones? Why is magnetic cheaper?
1 - The best exercise for the Tabata protocol for YOU is the exercise that YOU prefer to do. Singing the praises of running Tabata to a swimmer is a hard sell. Rowing as a means of doing Tabata is OK.

2 - Magnetic rowers are quiet while flywheels are noisy, but magnetic rowers have to be adjusted manually for resistance while flywheels increase resistance automatically as you increase your stroke speed. And most rowing enthusiasts prefer the feel of flywheel rowers to magnetic rowers.

3 - There are high end magnetic machines, and magnetic/flywheel hybrid machines. But magnetic machines - which are quiet in operation - are built primarily for home use. Flywheels are sturdier and are better suited for gym use. The greater noise of flywheel rowers is less of a problem in gyms than in most homes.

More info is here

PS - I've never used a magnetic rower. My only experience has been with hydrualic rowers (Precor), flywheel rowers (Concept 2) and actual rowing a few times on water in a shell. Shell rowing is hardest of all because you have to steer the damn thing as well as move it forward. :smile:

daniel4738

Post by daniel4738 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:39 am

Some good exercises I use with a Tabata.

* Ergo Cycler.
* Get some stretch bands and tie them to a rucksack. Have a partner hold onto them and pull you back while you explode forwards.
* Push Press (rest taken at the top)
* Thrusters
* Dumbell (or kettlebell) swings.
* Burpees
* Box Jumps

Basically, any power movement which is loading your cardiovascular/ Anaerobic threshold systems.

I personally wouldn't use a rowing machine for Tabatas as their resistance scales as a function speed. I.e. it takes 5-10 secs to get up to a set pace.

Most people use the concept 2 rowing machines. infact, I have never seen anything different.

You might also want to try breathing ladders.

ballophun
Novice
Novice

Post by ballophun » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:42 am

How about push-ups? I saw a video of a guy doing that.

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Re: Tabata protocol exercises

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:37 am

ballophun wrote:What would you guys recommend as the best exercise for the tabata protocol?
Anything that gets your heart rate up.
I'm more interested in toning by upper body
When I hear "toning" my head spins around on my shoulders and I speak in tongues...just like in the movie the Exercist.

So, by "toning" do you mean you want some definition in your upper body?
so I was thinking a rowing machine.
A rowing machine is more of an overall body workout.
Rowers are like everything else, there are quality magnetic and crappy magnetic rowers. As someone said, "You get what you pay for."

Kenny Croxdale

ballophun
Novice
Novice

Post by ballophun » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:33 pm

Yeah when I say toning I mean more definition. Just losing a bit of excess fat.

I think I'm gonna do push ups and thrusters for the tabata protocol. Better than spending money on the rowing machine.

Would it be unwise to do pushups immediately the day before or after I do bench press for my workout?
Or thrusters the day immediatley before or after sqauts days?

Cheers.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:35 pm

Tabata pushups before bench presses is a bad idea. After, it'll be okay, it'll just mean you don't get in as many reps. Same with thrusters and squats.

Whichever one you do first will affect the one you do second in a negative fashion. So save the Tabata until you aren't supporting 5RM weights over your body or on your back.

ballophun
Novice
Novice

Post by ballophun » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:20 pm

So save the Tabata until you aren't supporting 5RM weights over your body or on your back.
Sorry I don't know what that means. So I should be leaving a rest day in between then?

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:31 pm

Do them when the workout calls for them. I just wouldn't do Tabata thrusters before squats in the same workout, or Tabata pushups before bench presses in the same workout. They're not easy, and you don't generally want to fatigue yourself before you do maximal strength work.

ballophun
Novice
Novice

Post by ballophun » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:35 pm

Ah OK I get it.

Thanks mate.

ballophun
Novice
Novice

Post by ballophun » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:43 pm

Alright sorry to do this again.
:lol:
So could I do Bench press one day, and then the tabata pushup workout the next day? Or should I be giving the muscles more time to recover?

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:01 am

ballophun wrote:Yeah when I say toning I mean more definition. Just losing a bit of excess fat.
Performing upper body work will not directly burn body fat from that area, as you may be aware. To beccome more defined you need to burn more calores. Those calores being taken from your "fat bank."

The Tabata Prtocol (interval training) is an effective method of burning the fat off, becoming more defined.
I think I'm gonna do push ups and thrusters for the tabata protocol. Better than spending money on the rowing machine.

Push ups and thrusters will work. Again, the key is elevating your heart rate into the 80-90% zone of your heart rate max for short periods.
Would it be unwise to do pushups immediately the day before or after I do bench press for my workout?
Performing push ups the day after your bench press cuts into your recovery. A better way would be to perform your push ups after your bench press workout.

Your heart rate will be somewhat elevated from your strength training workout. So, performing the "Tabata Push Up" afterward will make it easier to drive your heart rate into the 80-90% area.

Or thrusters the day immediatley before or after sqauts days?

Like pdellorto said, "Whichever one you do first will affect the one you do second in a negative fashion."

Place the thrusters at the end of your squat training program. Again, your heart rate will be elevated from your squat workout. That makes it easier to drive your heart rate into your 80-90% heart rate zone.

Also, using Tabata at the end of your program flushes blood to the muscle, which will help with recovery.

Kenny Croxdale

ballophun
Novice
Novice

Post by ballophun » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:15 am

Alright I'll give it a go at the end of my workout. Oooohhh this is gonna be fun. I guess the number of push-ups you're doing doesn't really matter as long as you're pushing yourself.

Thanks for your advice.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:57 pm

ballophun wrote:Alright I'll give it a go at the end of my workout. Oooohhh this is gonna be fun. I guess the number of push-ups you're doing doesn't really matter as long as you're pushing yourself.

Thanks for your advice.
Tabata is based on time, not numbers.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:07 pm

I'm pretty sure he realizes that, as he stated the number of reps won't matter.
Tim