Tabata protocol exercises

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

ballophun
Novice
Novice

Post by ballophun » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:44 am

Holy God in heaven.

I lasted 2 minutes with the pushups. I went like 35, 33, 28, 15. Fitness wasn't the issue, I just didn't have the strength. I think I'll just keep doing my weights and try the tabata with thrusters or sprinting.

But daaamn.

Does anyone do the tabata with push-ups here?

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:40 am

It becomes an exercise in pacing yourself. You started out too agressively. You did a lot of pushups so you have the strength. Try doing 20 at a time. Then each time you attempt it, put the number up slightly. The goal will be to complete the 8 sets. Keep track of the minimum reps in your worst set. That's the number to beat. Crossfit has a video somewhere of tabata push ups. Check their site. The demonstrators in the video went easy starting up but the fatique was clearly setting in at the end.

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html
Look for "Tabata Pushups (Greg A and Mallee)..." in the "MISCELLANEOUS DEMOS & VIDEOS" section.
Last edited by stuward on Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:52 am

ballophun wrote:Holy God in heaven.

I lasted 2 minutes with the pushups. I went like 35, 33, 28, 15. Fitness wasn't the issue, I just didn't have the strength. I think I'll just keep doing my weights and try the tabata with thrusters or sprinting.

But daaamn.

Does anyone do the tabata with push-ups here?
You did 35 push-ups in 20 seconds?!!? That's really good. Yeah, you can afford to pace yourself.

ballophun
Novice
Novice

Post by ballophun » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:29 pm

I thought the idea was not to pace yourself. Like go flat out the whole time.

I'll try 20 each time. I still don't think I'll be able to make it to the end but I'll get further than 4 sets.

ballophun
Novice
Novice

Post by ballophun » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:38 am

Alright I did it!

Pushups for the first four rounds (numbers like 30, 25, 20, 18) and then lateral raises for the second four rounds (I couldn't count. I was just too exhausted).

I am buggered. But it's good. It sure as hell works. I'm gonna go and eat a couple cows now.