Elbow Pain

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

duly noted
Rookie
Rookie

Elbow Pain

Post by duly noted » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:30 pm

A few months ago my right elbow... I want to say Brachialis... It may be Brachioradialis, but it was more local to around the elbow... started hurting. It slowly healed and then it occurred in my left elbow. It was (and is) most painful when I do hammer curls or rear delt raises... and also just getting the weight up to do dumbell shoulder presses or incline dumbell presses. It has lingered for months. When I am not working out, it hurts to extend my arm and feels rather stiff. It seems to have gotten better... at least it doesn't hurt as much, but in the last two weeks, I have noticed that I am very weak in my left arm. Overhead dumbell shoulder presses cause my left arm to give out very quickly. When doing front delt raises, I can hold a dumbell out straight with no problem, but with the left... no way. My arm won'y even hold it there for a second... Has anyone experienced this? Thx....

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:20 pm

Duly--Try to narrow it down a bit. Is the pain right in the elbow joint? Is it on the medial side of the joint (the side near the body), or lateral (away from the body)? Is it just distal (further down the arm) to the joint?

Try this. Hold a relatively light weight in a position that makes it hurt (mid-point curl?) and then systematically press around the elbow and see if there is a spot that is particularly tender.

Also consider that it may be the the tendinous attachment of the wrist flexors or extensors that is hurting. If so, you will find a tender spot near the lateral condyle (the bony bump on the side of the elbow), particularly when you are extending the wrist (hold a DB with palm down), or near the medial condyle when you are flexing the wrist (DB, palm up). Those would suggest lateral epicondylitis (so-called "tennis elbow") and medial epicondylitis ("golfer's elbow") respecitively.

There. That is as close to an on-line exam as I will ever try to do. If you ever have a question about your prostate gland... no, let's not go there.

duly noted
Rookie
Rookie

Post by duly noted » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:31 pm

I'm not in the gym now and it doesn't really hurt much, but as I recall, it is more on top... the side facing me. A little down on the muscle below the elbow, but it radiates over and back to that bump... and I have bumped my elbow on that bone and gotten an immediate pain response. Nothing in my wrist hurts and I can flex palm side down with no trouble.

I was wondering if it could be acute Brachial Plexus Neuritis, but I have no shoulder pain. Someone else told me it could be a ruptured cervical disc... Oh No!!!

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:00 pm

I doubt either of those things, unless you have more symptoms that you didn't say anything about. Almost anything COULD be a ruptured cervical disc, but it would most likely cause a greater variety of symptoms, and be related to neck movement.

Does the pain occur at all by just flexing the elbow sharply? Try holding it flexed fully for a couple of minutes. What happens?

Here's a radical idea. Go see a doctor, let him or her bend, twist, poke, squeese and manipulate the arm, and see what they say. It'd be worth the 10 bucks.

The fact that it has occured in both arms suggests some sort of over-use injury, since you presumagly use both arms in about the same way.