Shoulder raises with supination

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

piepie8
n00b
n00b

Shoulder raises with supination

Post by piepie8 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:48 pm

Can I do shoulder raises (front and side) with supinated hands? I have chronic tendinitis in my elbows and I've been told not to lift things with my hands in a pronated position.

I know I can do side shoulder raises with a bent elbow (90 degrees), so I could always modify that if needed (I prefer straight arm, though), but for front shoulder raises, I'm a bit stuck. When I've practised the range of motion with no weights, I seem to feel the same effect in my shoulders (although with a slightly different focus) with supinated hands as with pronated hands, so it seems supination should be OK. But then am I setting myself up for other injuries?

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:57 pm

Really, you're the only one who can answer that. Try it and see. If it bothers you, change what you're doing. I don't think you'd do any irreversable damage. Start low and go slow.

What are you doing to rehab the elbow? Physical therapy? Which tendons are involved? Are you taking anti-inflamatories? Have you in the past?

piepie8
n00b
n00b

Post by piepie8 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:33 pm

Jungledoc wrote:Really, you're the only one who can answer that. Try it and see. If it bothers you, change what you're doing. I don't think you'd do any irreversable damage. Start low and go slow.

What are you doing to rehab the elbow? Physical therapy? Which tendons are involved? Are you taking anti-inflamatories? Have you in the past?
Thanks for the reply.

I have lateral epicondylitis. It was at its worst 2002-2003, and at that time, I went to physio and did the usual strengthening, stretching, and TENS routine, but I didn't take any anti-inflammatories except the occasional Advil. The physio helped a little, but then I started acupuncture and that helped the most.

Over the last couple of years, I have had very little pain, but I do have flare-ups. When I do weights I still wear my Aircast armbands as a preventative measure, and I'm very careful with form (especially the position of my wrists). When I feel the pain returning, I take a break from lifting and get some deep-tissue massage and acupuncture for a bit.

Anyway, since my problems started, I've been avoiding most shoulder exercises because I found they irritated the tendons the most, at least when done the "proper" way.

As you said, I'll just try it for a bit and see what happens. I'm mostly concerned about damaging other soft tissues. I am already hyper-aware of problems with my elbows, so I know when to stop if those are bothering me. But I may not notice problems with other areas as quickly or easily.

standAPART
Rookie
Rookie

Post by standAPART » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:17 pm

YOU can perform them supinated, however, the stress of the weight may cause your elbows to bend during the "up" phase. This will force your biceps to participate in the movement , more-so than your delts.
You best bet, is to address your tennis elbow with forearm work and stretching.

Skull_Crusher
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Skull_Crusher » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:04 am

Agree with the above poster. Just trying it now with no weights, i cant imagine using a decent amount of weight and not ending up with your elbows really bent. Seems like it would be irritating as it doesnt feel natural.

How about the hammer grip???

piepie8
n00b
n00b

Post by piepie8 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:26 am

Hmmm...I guess I'm going to have to rethink this.

I always try to do forearm strengthening exercises and/or bicep and tricep exercises (I was told strengthening my biceps and triceps would help protect my elbow area, just as strengthening quads/hamstrings will help protect the knees). I've noticed that when I do too much forearm work, or if I do heavy weights with low reps, my tendinitis flares up again, though, so I usually end up doing lighter weights with higher reps (which ends up being less about strengthening). It's a delicate balance...

Is a hammer grip the same as neutral position? (palms end up facing each other rather than up or down) I saw someone doing front shoulder raises with arms in neutral position the other day, so I thought I might try it out. I've also had a recurrence (as of two days ago) of carpal tunnel, so it might be the best option, anyway.

I'm designing my new circuit right now, and will begin late next week, so I'll report on what I end up with!

piepie8
n00b
n00b

Post by piepie8 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:45 am

I started my new circuit on Sunday and have had to modify my plan.

I tried front shoulder raises with supination, and those were definitely out. Then I went to hammer grip, and even with just 3kg, I could really feel the strain in my forearms. I knew if I continued, after 7 weeks I would definitely have a recurrence of my tennis elbow.

Soooo...I'm doing overhead shoulder raises instead.

I also tried doing lateral shoulder raises with a hammer grip, but those didn't go over very well, either. I'm doing bent-elbow shoulder raises. I have to be more careful with form when I do them (I tend to hunch my shoulders more with bent-elbow raises than with straight-arm ones), but I suppose that's a good thing, in a way.

Thanks again for all the advice!