Compound for some, isolation for others?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Proper Knob

Post by Proper Knob » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:03 am

My apologies tyler if i have overstepped the mark. There was genuinely no intention to cause offence.

Wouter
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Wouter » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:45 am

Tyler, just post your pictures if you want to. I think people on this forum will objectively say what you look like.
Even though some think they'll sound gay if they critisize another man's physique, but that's their own problem.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:18 pm

I want to appologize for any percieved flamen especially Tyler. .Tyler originally asked a good question. The last thing I want is to discourage anyone from getting good information. I have said many times this is the best place I have found to get quality answers. I probably spoke when I shouldn't have.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:37 pm

Wouter wrote:Tyler, just post your pictures if you want to. I think people on this forum will objectively say what you look like.
Even though some think they'll sound gay if they critisize another man's physique, but that's their own problem.
It has truly never occurred to me that anyone would worry about sounding "gay" by discussing size or proportions of muscles. Do you assume that body building meets are primarily for gays?

Jaccard
n00b
n00b

Post by Jaccard » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:22 pm

When I start with compound exercises I'm usually exhausted by the time I get to any isolation movements - my gunz work is probably 35% lower than where it would be fresh.

It's made me sceptical that I'm accomplishing anything.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:28 pm

I would guess that you've already accomplished a lot, if you're exhausted from the compound work. It makes me wonder if you really need to isolation work.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:22 am

Jaccard wrote:When I start with compound exercises I'm usually exhausted by the time I get to any isolation movements - my gunz work is probably 35% lower than where it would be fresh.

It's made me sceptical that I'm accomplishing anything.
That is how it is supposed to be. It's called a finishing move for a reason.

Wouter
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Wouter » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:53 pm

Jungledoc wrote:
Wouter wrote:Tyler, just post your pictures if you want to. I think people on this forum will objectively say what you look like.
It has truly never occurred to me that anyone would worry about sounding "gay" by discussing size or proportions of muscles. Do you assume that body building meets are primarily for gays?
No I don't assume that bodybuilding meets are for homosexuals. I assume that some think they'll sound gay if they would discuss about a man's body. I've got no problems critisizing a guy's physique.

work of art
n00b
n00b

Compound for some isolation for others.

Post by work of art » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:31 pm

Personally i prefer compound movements because the body was createdto move as a unit so i prefer to train it that way.Isolation exercises to me are for pure cosmetic purpose in my opinion which is to look better.Ifyou are an aspiring bb who competes i can understand why you would use them to enhance a muscle to place well at a show. Training for function allows me to transfer that strength and use it in the real world whether it be helping someone push a car,perform better at work,and for survival.For me overall health and function are a bigger concern than training for looks.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: Compound for some, isolation for others?

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:59 am

tyler wrote:Does anyone here get better results with compound movements for the bigger muscles, and better results with isolation for small muscles? Like- compound for legs and chest and back, and isolation for arms? That seems to be the only way I can put any mass on my arms...I wonder if anyone else is the same.
You might want to consider this article:

All of us fall into the muscle-isolating trap, to some extent. But if you're a skinny guy, with a body that's reluctant to put on muscle mass, you may have the most to lose when you waste energy on isolation exercises.

Isolation exercises don't use a lot of muscle mass — an obvious point when you consider that the goal of an isolation exercise is to not use the muscles you aren't trying to isolate.

But here's a not-so-obvious point: When you do a biceps curl or triceps extension, you aren't even recruiting the most important fibers within the muscles you're isolating. That's because you rarely use a lot of weight when you do those exercises. Your body's biggest, strongest muscle fibers, the ones with the most growth potential, simply don't come into play unless you're using heavy weights in low-repetition sets.

I can't recall ever seeing anyone do low-rep sets for their biceps and triceps, for one simple reason: As soon as you start lifting near-max weights, you can't even pretend to isolate muscles. You have to "cheat" by using less-strict movement patterns, which brings bigger muscles into the exercise.

So why bother trying to isolate? If you lift the heaviest possible weights during exercises that use the most muscle mass, you'll employ your body's biggest muscle fibers while doing the exercises safely and correctly
I agree with the author. Building big muscles with isolation moves is much harder than using compound exercises.