Looking for ideas for new workout

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, parth, stuward

Pauly420
Novice
Novice

Looking for ideas for new workout

Post by Pauly420 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:35 pm

Been doing the same workout for about 4 months now and results are slowing up any ideas or tweaks appreciated.

M-W-F

Monday - Back

Cable Rows - Warm-up 8x3
Deadlifts - 5x5
Underhand pull downs - 10x3
45 degree laying rows - 5x5
Barbell Curls - 5x5

Wed. - Chest

Bench Press - 5x5
Skullcrushers - 8x3
Military Press - 10x3
Incline Bench - 5x5
Cable Tricep pulldowns - 10x3

Friday - Legs

Squats - 5x5
Seated leg extensions - 5x3 each leg alone 5x3 both legs
Leg Press - 5x5
Heel raises - 10x3
Barbell Curls - 5x5

My plan was to do a 2 day on - 1 day off split, i think my muscles are rdy to work harder and more often. Im eating around 3k calories per day and im 5'9" 180 lbs atm. Been lifting about 1 and 1/2 years.

But with the 2 day on - 1 day off split i was maybe thinking 1 back day then split chest/leg between 2nd day.

Any vital exercises im leaving out? Looking to get bigger.
Last edited by Pauly420 on Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:47 pm

It's probably better to do Chest and back on the same day and give legs there own day. Check out Defranco's Westside 4 Skinny Bastards in the stickies.
MONDAY – Max-Effort Upper Body
TUESDAY – Dynamic-Effort Lower Body
WEDNESDAY – Off
THURSDAY – Repetition Upper Body
FRIDAY – Max-Effort Lower Body
SATURDAY – Off
SUNDAY – Off

You can also split up the training like this…

MONDAY – Max-Effort Lower Body
TUESDAY – Off
WEDNESDAY – Max-Effort Upper Body
THURSDAY – Off
FRIDAY – Dynamic-Effort Lower Body
SATURDAY – Off
SUNDAY – Repetition Upper Body

Pauly420
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauly420 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:54 am

Ok I read the article and it sounds good, still a M-W-F split but ill give it a try, any change is good i guess. Just looking to re-stimulate my muscles. Out of curiousity what does dynamic effort mean? Low weight/high reps?

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:01 am

It's a 4 day split. See the second link.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:06 am

Pauly420 wrote:Ok I read the article and it sounds good, still a M-W-F split but ill give it a try, any change is good i guess. Just looking to re-stimulate my muscles. Out of curiousity what does dynamic effort mean? Low weight/high reps?
I believe that dynamic effort means explosive exercises like Olympic lifts or plyometrics. You use less weight but focus on speed of execution. The number of reps are less than for muscle hypertrophy (repetition), but more than that for max effort.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:30 am

Well, in the Westside context, you won't actually use olympic lifts. Although, ofcourse, that's where it came from.

It really just means "low weight, explosive speed". So, on max effort lower body you may do box squats at 85-ish % 1RM, for example. On Dynamic effort day lower body day, it could be the same box squat exercise, but with 60% 1RM, which is obviously very light. It'll still be low reps, often 8-10 sets of 2 reps. But you still lift it itwith maximal force / effort.

Another example is if you take the bench press. Work up to a 1RM or near 1RM, and it's a 'Max Effort" lift. Take the load down to 50-60%, and lift it will 100% of force (i.e. FAST), then it's a Dynamic Effort exercise.

Worth noting that with speed work, you should be controlled on the way down, explosive on the way up.

I've not looked specifically at the program so the exercises on the actual ME and DE day tould be different from what I mentioned.

Just check what the program says, in terms of sets and reps. From reading westside stuff on Dynamic Effort method (speed day) I know that they favour sets of 3 for bench, 2 for box squat, 1 for DL, for example. That's the last I read anyway, obviously, it could have changed.

KPj

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:45 am

What KPj said. Westside for Skinny Bastards usually has you doing jumping for your explosive work instead of speed squats, speed bench presses, or speed deadlifts. It also substitutes repetition days for dynamic (aka speed) days for the upper body. It's a program aimed mostly at putting on size and strength for athletes, not for maximizing your powerlifting.

I used to do a modified version of this program on my own, and when I moved back to New Jersey I started training at Joe DeFranco's gym, so now I do the same program there.

So you'd do four days, following WS4SB3:

A ME upper day - centered on something like a new 1-5RM in a bench press variation or pullup variation.

A ME lower day - centered on something like a 1-5 RM in a squat or DL variation.

A DE lower day - centered on jumping, usually*, for reps or for distance or height.

A Repetition upper day - centered on something like a pullup, pushup, or bench press variation, usually 3 sets of maximum reps or 4-5 sets of 8-15 reps.

If you go 3x a week on this, and aren't looking for athletics, the recommendation is to drop the DE lower day. Although I found that the most fun!

But it all varies. I lift 2x a week, so I do two full-body workouts with elements mixed together. You can check my log for stuff they've had me do...but mine is customized for a battered 36-year old MMA fighter. I'm weak but I've also got specific sports demands.

Anyway, I hope that helps. I think it's a fun program, and it's worked for me so far.

* Not always. Somewhere in my workout log, you can see they had me doing 8 x 2 speed foam box squats, and I'm a weak squatter and a bona fide skinny bastard.

Pauly420
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauly420 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:12 am

Thanks for the replies guys, i missed the 2nd link...looks like i found a new workout and all the people in his testimonials have the same goal i do, pack on some extra mass and maybe go out for college football.