Feedback on new workout.

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, parth, stuward

Han

Feedback on new workout.

Post by Han » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:41 am

Hi all,

I've recently started working in place which makes it very inconveniant to go to the gym after or before work. Previously I've been doing 2 x full body workouts per week, alternating squats/dead lifts as my lower body exercise.

But because it's such a pain to get to the gym now, I'm thinking about working out three times per week, and using the crap gym at my housing complex a bit more. The problem with this gym is that there's no power/squat rack, the plates are only small (low diameter) so not good for dead lifts, and there is no-where to do pull-ups or chins.

So am looking for opinions on the following plan:

Sundays (at good gym):
3 x 8 Dead lifts
3 x 8 Squats
3 x 8 Pull-Ups
3 x 8 Military Press

Tuesdays (home gym):
3 x 8 DB Split Squats
3 x 8 DB Bench Press
3 x 8 BB Bent-over Rows
3 x 8 BB Incline Bench
1 x 10-12 Lateral Raises

Thursdays (home gym):
3 x 8 BB Straight Back Straight Leg Dead Lifts
3 x 8 DB Bench Press
3 x 8 DB Bent-over Rows
3 x 8 Machine Pull-Downs
1 x 10-12 Calf Press

Can anyone see any holes here? My biggest concern is that I've never done squats and dead lifts on the same day before. Will my dead lifts suffer?

I'd also welcome suggestions on replacements for dead lifts that I could do at home. The problem is the small plates make the bar sit too low, and there aren't enough plates to build up the level enough to make them comfortable.

Han

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:13 am

Actually, I think that, given your situation, you've come up with a pretty decent plan. Go for it and let us know how you do.

As to DL replacement, well, it's not really a replacement, but can be considered a light "recovery workout" for the same muscles. That would be DB swings, either 2 handed one DB, two handed twoDB's,or one handed. Great hip/ham conditioner. Rather than describe it, just do a search on youtube, plenty of demo's out there.
Tim

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:23 am

I'd say squat before your DLs.

It's just a safety concern - in the squat, you've got a weighted bar across your back. If your lower back is tired and fails, you're under the weight and your body will compensate to keep the bar from crushing you. In a DL, if it's too heavy thanks to some fatigue from squatting, you'll either drop the bar or your body will just refuse to let you break it off the floor. It's much less risky.

Tim's DL substitute suggestion is good - swings are a great glute exercise, especially if you concentrate on getting a good "snap" with the hips. You can also do single-leg deadlifts. It's not going to get you as strong as normal DLs, but they will improve your single-leg strength and balance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eACTTzeh-E

If you can improvise some kind of dragging sled, you can do pull-throughs with it...but that's just me. I love sled dragging.
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... 7BAC.hydra

Han

Post by Han » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:45 am

Thanks for the feedback guys.

And yes, I have read on here a hundred times to squat before you DL - must have just had a brain explosion when typing that.

Will definitely have a look at dumbbell swings.