Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Neb154
Novice
Novice

Moving on from 5x5

Post by Neb154 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:56 pm

Happy New Year to all.

I have had pretty good success with Madcow's 5 x 5 program, but after some stalling in recent weeks and a general desire to move from bulking to cutting, I am thinking about changing things up.

I was hoping to receive some advice on my proposed weightlifting plan:
Note: Due to inequalities in hip strength and subsequent lower back pain, I stick to single leg squatting exercises. I will also be adding in some medium-level intensity cardio twice a week.

Monday:
Bulgarian Split Squats
DB Bench
BB Pendlay
Dips
Weighted Crunches

Wednesday:
BB Side Lunges
DB Military
DB Shrug
Pullups
Weighted Oblques

Friday:
Sumo Deadlift / Romanian Deadlift (Every other week)
DB Incline
One Armed Rows
Hanging Knee Raises
Planks

I was thinking something like 3 x 8 or 4 x 6 for sets/reps, but I could use advice on this. I am also not sure whether certain days should be light (as in Madcow); for instance the side lunges, just 48 hours after split squats.

As far as diet goes, I will just be trying to eat a bit less, while making sure to get enough protein, nutrients, etc. I'll aim probably to lose a pound or pound and a half per week.

Thank you very much in advance.

Neb154
Novice
Novice

Post by Neb154 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:06 pm

I also just looked at the Mahler plan which looks like an attractive option.

Perhaps I could use that plan, only replacing Bulgarian Split Squats for Barbell Squats and One Armed Rows for BB Rows?

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:13 pm

Your plan looks pretty good to me. I think you've got the basics covered.

I like including unilateral leg work, but I think some bilateral squatting has it's benefits. How about trying some front squats?

Neb154
Novice
Novice

Post by Neb154 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:14 pm

Jungledoc wrote:Your plan looks pretty good to me. I think you've got the basics covered.

I like including unilateral leg work, but I think some bilateral squatting has it's benefits. How about trying some front squats?
I have done front squats in the past, but I severely strained/tore a small stabilizer muscle in my mid-back doing them this past summer and I have been a little wary of returning to them with any significant weight.

As far as my posted plan, I actually think I would like to try Mahler's plan. However, I have a few questions:

If I am using dumbbells, for instance in standing-military press, should I still go up 5 lbs after being able to compete 3 sets of 7? My gym does not have any finer gradations than 5 lbs after 22.5.

Also, would it be okay to use one-armed rows instead of barbell rows? Or should I perhaps switch been one-armed and barbell every other week? And how about switching in a Sumo Deadlift instead of the SDL every other week?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:18 pm

Neb154 wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:...
I have done front squats in the past, but I severely strained/tore a small stabilizer muscle in my mid-back doing them this past summer and I have been a little wary of returning to them with any significant weight.
I did something similar once, not a tear but it hurt. I was only using warm up weights. I believe that is you are not tensing all your stabilizer muscles and mentally preparing for each lift as if it was heavy, you stand a greater risk of injury. It's not the weight that causes the risk. It's not being prepared for the weight.