The Pull-Up Challenge

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:25 pm

Kram2 wrote:lol wish I could do a single real chin

I am the master of assisted chins tho! Rawr!
I assume you're seen all the articles on chin-up progression? Doing lots of negatives, etc. Well, keep it up.

You could be in the challenge, and your goal is 1 chin!

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:43 pm

I'm going the wrong way with this chin challenge. :sad:

On Monday, I did 21 pull-ups/chin-ups (6 pronated, 8 neutral and 7 supinated). Today, I failed on the 6th supinated rep. Oh, well. There's always next week. :lol:

Kram2
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Kram2 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:32 am

Doc

I read some stuff on pull up progressions a long while back and promptly forgot it. Upon further inspection, apparently I skipped the third page where some progression links are given. I'll check em out!

Wouter
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Wouter » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:04 am

Hello y'all, I've got 9 reps at the dead-hang chin-up.
Even though my PR was 7 reps, my starting point was at 6 reps.
So I've actually gone from 6=>9 reps.
Next goal is 12 reps. :)

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:58 am

Wouter wrote:Hello y'all, I've got 9 reps at the dead-hang chin-up.
Even though my PR was 7 reps, my starting point was at 6 reps.
So I've actually gone from 6=>9 reps.
Next goal is 12 reps. :)
Hey, congratulations! That exceeds the goal, and in less than 2 weeks!

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:01 am

Current status:

Stu 5 going for 6
Peter 10->"11+"
VoK 22->25
Gantz 8->9 now 10, since he nearly got 9 the first few days of the challenge
Ironman listed several variations, but maybe neutral close-grip 6->7?
Mr. P Knob 10->11
Nygmen 9->10
Wouter 7->8 Made it to 9 by 24 January!
daniel4738 27->30!
MattZ 1->3 (BW+30#) (self-declared goal) Reached goal 18/1/09! New goal?
Wilburburns yet to test
Stephen 12->14
Hoose currently being goaded. Can do 2 wide-grip, so maybe goal of 3? Or maybe you can do 8 medium grip? You don't want to miss out on all the fun, do you? He just hit 3 WG
ninjackn 9->10
KPj 9->10 BW+10kg
TimD yet to test and set a goal
airhog 1->2
and Jungledoc 10->12 I just looked at my journal, and my best was 10, not 11. Apparently I have exaggerated my own prowess. I'll keep my goal an increase of 2.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:43 pm

Next time one of these comes up, can it please NOT be during tax season?

(That would be between Jan 1 & April 15.)

Thank you

Seeing as I'm going to fail this one...

What's the next challenge going to be?

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:04 pm

We could make it the number of income tax returns one can prepare per day. Shoot for a percent increase. :lol:

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:04 pm

Jungledoc wrote:We could make it the number of income tax returns one can prepare per day. Shoot for a percent increase. :lol:
Ha hA...

If I remember I think my best was 12 in an 18 hour day (reviewing not input, input would be a skewed figure).

Complexity plays a huge role too, and staff. If it's early April, your not going to get through 1 return an hour, unless your missing mistakes. And if your staff are a bunch of tools or slackers, your done for.

(Yup I'm a nerd for sure, I just willingly ruined a good joke.)

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:48 pm

2/2/09

I got 11 neutral-grip pullups today, bodyweight only (no vest). I'm 100% certain I could have gotten 12, but I was trying to avoid going to my absolute maximum today. I'm coming back after a 2-week layoff so I didn't want to push too hard. A 1-rep PR is good enough. I have almost 2 weeks left to get my goal of 12 reps.

Proper Knob

Post by Proper Knob » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:43 am

I'm going to have to bail on this one guys. For two reasons really, firstly my shoudler hasn't been right for a while and it hasn't been getting any better. Supraspinatus tendonopathy is the diagnosis. Secondly i'm doing a months back-packing round SE Asia........not that i'm trying to make anyone feel jealous!!! I was going to carry on with the challenge whilst i'm away, but i decided to give my shoulder complete rest for a month. It seems to be working. It's still not perfect but it's not far away. And when i return to the UK i'll address why my shoulder got like it did.

All the best. Phil.

KPj

Post by KPj » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:31 am

I had a difficult week last week. Training had to be worked altered 'on the go'. Done lower body Tuesday, sh*t hit the fan on Wed, and I done a quick full body on Sat. Pull ups were third exercise (instead of first on previous weeks), after Snatch Grip DL and Reverse Lunges with Front Squat grip.

12 reps. No improvement from last week. I reckon I deffinitly would of failed on rep 13, but i'm saving failure for the final/next week of the challenge. Hopefully i'll get 15 next week.

KPj

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:53 pm

Proper Knob wrote:I'm going to have to bail on this one guys. For two reasons really, firstly my shoudler hasn't been right for a while and it hasn't been getting any better. Supraspinatus tendonopathy is the diagnosis. Secondly i'm doing a months back-packing round SE Asia........not that i'm trying to make anyone feel jealous!!! I was going to carry on with the challenge whilst i'm away, but i decided to give my shoulder complete rest for a month. It seems to be working. It's still not perfect but it's not far away. And when i return to the UK i'll address why my shoulder got like it did.

All the best. Phil.
Where exactly are you backpacking to? I am indeed jealous. There is a lot of SE Asia that I would love to see. Most people don't list PNG with "SE Asia" but if you're in the neighborhood, stop by!

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:58 pm

Jungledoc wrote:Where exactly are you backpacking to? I am indeed jealous. There is a lot of SE Asia that I would love to see. Most people don't list PNG with "SE Asia" but if you're in the neighborhood, stop by!
Yeah, you can "swing by" PNG. It's right there.

I was just in Singapore and briefly in Malaysia. Singapore was really nice. Good variety of food, not too expensive (especially since I sold yen for Singapore dollars, a good deal these days), and very easy to navigate. As for Malaysia...Singapore was really nice.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:19 pm

Hit 3.5 maybe 4. I have no idea if they are legal chins. I use an assited pull up machine that has no bar all the way across.