Joints adjusting to new strength?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Joints adjusting to new strength?

Post by brook011 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:16 pm

So recently, much to my happiness, I went from about a 230lb one rep max to a 265lb one rep max on bench, and as glorious as it was, I noticed my joints are having trouble adjusting to it, and I'm running into newfound soreness "IE my left tricep feels almost like its bruised when I flex or push with it, same for my left front shoulder". Any suggestions? Maybe I'm not warming up enough?

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:17 pm

@brook011:

How much benching have you been doing while upping your max? Most joint pain is chronic in nature and is caused by overuse. Acute joint pain - sharp pain associated with damage done to a joint during a specific event (ie twisting an ankle) - is different.

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:23 pm

my schedule is -

chest/back
legs
off
arms
shoulders
off
off

its all a GVT modification, I've been on it since January 1st, maybe it's been too long for this?

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:52 am

brook011 wrote:my schedule is -

chest/back
legs
off
arms
shoulders
off
off

its all a GVT modification, I've been on it since January 1st, maybe it's been too long for this?
I never could figure out the rationale for bodybuilder splits that train arms on a separate day. It's even harder to understand why someone would train arms the day before they trained other bodyparts like shoulders that require the use of the arms. If you're committed to training arms and shoulders on contiguous days, you should at least flip the training order so shoulders are done first.

But if you started your routine in January, you should be coming up on 8 weeks on it soon. It might be a good time to take a week's break, then start a new routine. I would back off from trying to pass, or even equalling your 265# bench until your elbow and shoulder stop aching.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:55 pm

@Stephen
.Brooks is basing this on Poliquins take on GVT, and the shoulders/arms day actually is a superset of Close grip benches or P bar dips supersetted with hammer curls for 10X10 or a similar volume approach.The shoulder work is a few sets of some type of raises. In this instance, while your comments are valid for most situations, I don't think it will be a major problem. Give it a shot for a few weeks and see what happens.
Tim

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:28 pm

Yeah, I was thinking about a week off soon. Its just tough adjusting to a lower calorie intake during that time. Half the reason I like working out in the winter is eating haha.