An equivalent to SS with equipment/spotter limitations?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:24 am

hoosegow wrote:Duh. Starting Strength. Sorry.
I had to guess about what SS was myself.

Using acronyms pretty much pisses me off. Many times you have to be a mind reader to know what someone is talking about.

If not yuu need to have a PhD in something like "The Wheel of Forturne", where you have to figure out what something is with a couple of letters on the board. I am clueless with things like that.

I couldn't figure out what the word was on The Wheel of Fortune, if the clue was it was an animal that went meow and there were two letters posted on the board...C-A-?

So, guys why don't we "spell" things out when posting information?

Kenny

wilburburns

Post by wilburburns » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:01 am

Kenny Croxdale wrote:
hoosegow wrote:Duh. Starting Strength. Sorry.
I had to guess about what SS was myself.

So, guys why don't we "spell" things out when posting information?

Kenny
Because we are Lazy I guess. LOL ... Oops, I did it again..

Now, in all seriousness, If I didn't know where this topic started and the background info, I would be asking the same question...(What is SS)... However, knowing this question started from another thread, a few of us were ahead of the curve and able to read his mind.

And, as I look back, I may have been the one who initially abbreviated "Starting Strength" to SS. In the future, I will try not to do that.

Cliff

dyecal
n00b
n00b

Post by dyecal » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:16 pm

Well, after a bit more reading, and realization of annoying money issues, I'm try go with the SS dumbbell alternative exercises. Also, Ross's books look awesome and will be ordering them and adding his stuff to my normal regiment. But what this is my workout that I'm going to be starting monday:

Workout A
5x5 Dumbbell Snatch
3x5 Dumbbell Squat/Split Squat/Front squat(depending)
3x5 Dumbbell Bench Press
3x5 Dumbell Swing
1x5 Dumbbell Straight-back Straight-leg Deadlift
3xF Pull-ups/Chin-ups

Workout B
3x5 Dumbbell Squat/Split Squat/Front squat(depending)
3x5 Dumbbell Shoulder Press
3x5 Dumbell Swing
3x5 Turkish Get-ups
5x3 Dumbbell Bent-over Row
Dips 3xF

A and B alternate just like SS's.

But the only two question I have for you guys are...

1. Is this regiment too much, too little, or pretty good, in terms of exercises per workout.
2. I know with SS, you're supposed to work yourself up to your max weight over like 4 sets. Should I be doing the same thing with dumbbells? Or should I warmup 1-2 sets at half the weight and then do 3 sets at max, with almost failing on my 15th rep?

Thanks as always, guys. :)