Muscle Recovery

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

vos0143
former lurker

Muscle Recovery

Post by vos0143 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:35 pm

I am 28 yrs old and deployed with the army in Iraq. I work out twice a day and have a question about muscle recovery. I work nights so I wake up and lift about 1 in the afternoon and then I do cardio at about 1 or 2 in the morning. Every time I am lifting, I lift to muscle failure but 30 minutes after I leave the gym, it feels like I never went. It is the same with my running. I can run 2 miles as fast as I can and be worn out immediately after the run but 30 minutes later I feel like I could do it again. I am confused. On my last deployment 4 years ago I worked out with the same frequency and I was sore all of the time. Any thoughts about why this is would be appreciated.

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:07 pm

Either you arn't pushing yourself at a high enough intensity such as weight, reps etc and your body is adapted to the stress or you have a very good recovery time. Just remember that soreness is not an indicator of how good your workout was, its mostly an indicator of a new stress being put on the body that it's not accustomed to.

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:45 pm

I always gauge my workout on if I've lost my push or pull strength, depending on what I worked that day.