Ankle Issues...

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

Rucifer

Ankle Issues...

Post by Rucifer » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:37 pm

So back last July, I sprained my ankle severely when I was wearing sandals and I stepped off an elevated surface wrong. It was definitely the worst roll of the ankle I've ever had, and I probably didn't ice it as much as I should. As a result the swelling took longer than I thought it would to go down, but eventually it did (or so I thought). The past couple of weeks I've been getting back into running again, and I noticed after really inspecting and thinking about it that there is still a little swollen tissue down in that area (or maybe it just didn't completely go away and I never realized it). Ok, so I have decided not to pick up running yet and switch back to non impact cardio sessions for obvious reasons, but I guess what I really want to know is, what are some exercises/things I can do to help speed up the recovery completely of this ankle?! The only thing I can find on the internet is to balance it by standing on one foot or writing the alphabet with me toes. Not sure how effective those are.

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:57 pm

You honestly have to go to the doctor for something like this. No one on here can tell you exactly whats wrong. You could've broken one of the almost 30 bones in the foot, or you could have damaged one of the tendons. I have foot problems constantly because of a similar thing that happened to me last summer as well, and it still gives me soreness at times. I avoid running and stick to elliptical or biking.

Rucifer

Post by Rucifer » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:05 pm

brook011 wrote:You honestly have to go to the doctor for something like this. No one on here can tell you exactly whats wrong. You could've broken one of the almost 30 bones in the foot, or you could have damaged one of the tendons. I have foot problems constantly because of a similar thing that happened to me last summer as well, and it still gives me soreness at times. I avoid running and stick to elliptical or biking.
I guess I should also say two things- #1, I live in America without health insurance. And #2- it's not painful at all, and not really swollen, just a tiny bit of fat/swollen tissue or whatever you want to call it still lingering. Its not growing though. I've heard going to the doc for an ankle sprain is pointless pretty much no matter how bad it is...

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:22 pm

Yes but 8 months later, it's probably not an ankle sprain. We can help you figure out a workout routine, but injuries are something you have to go to a doctor for sadly. I had the same thing happen and just dealt with it.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:40 am

I've ruptured ligaments in my ankle, ages ago, and I still need to work on it. If I don't, it becomes a problem again.

If you don't have health insurance then i would advise you save up enough cash for atleast one appointment with a good physical therapist. Your best bet with a GP is to get a referral to a PT anyway. Your best finding a good PT through people that train who would recommend them, so you need to make sure you ask around. I'm not sure how much PT's charge across the pond but over here it's the generally less than a tub of protein powder (which is more expensive over here, btw). A good PT would be able to tell you most of what you need to know in the first session.

In general, though, the priority with an ankle sprain is to get rid of the swelling and pain, and then you're left with movement. It's pretty much a certaintly that you've lost mobility (movement/flexiblity) in the ankle joint due to the injury. Therefore, the best thing you can do for yourself is address that. Here's a good video by Bill Hartman (coach and physical therapist) on ankle mobility. I would advise you to follow his advice...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxr9-IB0Rr4

KPj