Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Mr_Schneebly
Novice
Novice

Feel I may be wasting my time!

Post by Mr_Schneebly » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:33 am

Hi everyone

I would really appreciate some advice on this if you wouldn't mind, I am very grateful for all the help I get in here!

Basically, I'm trying to bulk up at the minute, but I feel that I'm not getting the most out of it because I just use weights at home, and while that's fine for my back, chest, arms and shoulders, it's not enough for my legs. The most I can put on the bar is 58kg (it's not an olympic bar), and I can deadlift them for 3 sets of 12 pretty comfortably. When I did my first bulk (a couple of years ago), I was deadlifting upwards of 90kg in the gym, so it's nowhere near what I can do. Similarly, I have no squat rack, so can only do squats from home which means doing a clean first, but I can squat way more than I can clean, so that doesn't really work. I can do split legged squats but they don't feel as intense as proper squats. The other thing that concerns me is that I'll end up with a large upper body and chicken legs! Being naturally tall and spindly (6'3") doesn't help things in that respect!

I was thinking of going on a cut to get my bf right down and just see what I've got, as I've never been on a proper cut before (I didn't really do a cut when I bulked at first, I just left it!) I'm not looking to get absolutely massive in a bodybuilder way, I just want a decent, athletic body, and I don't know how close I am to that. I know that I won't be massive when I trim the fat off, my measurements just now are:

44 inch chest
14.5 inch arms (both flexed)
36 inch waist
23 inch thighs

So like I said, I won't look huge by any stretch of the imagination. And going back to the leg thing, I was on a website where you put in your measurements and it tells you if your legs are in proportion to your body, and mine aren't really, and as I've said, I don't feel I can stimulate them enough from home!

Any thoughts on this would be very much appreciated!

Thanks

Zanne
n00b
n00b

Post by Zanne » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:21 am

Hi, do you only have loose weights at home or do you have other equipment like bikes and steppers ect.?

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:05 am

You give us a lot of good information, but what do you want and what are your goals?

Mr_Schneebly
Novice
Novice

Post by Mr_Schneebly » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:27 am

Zanne wrote:Hi, do you only have loose weights at home or do you have other equipment like bikes and steppers ect.?
I have a bench that can incline, a barbell, two dumbells, and weight plates totalling 60kg. I also have a pull up bar in my doorway :)

Mr_Schneebly
Novice
Novice

Post by Mr_Schneebly » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:39 am

hoosegow wrote:You give us a lot of good information, but what do you want and what are your goals?
Well, if I'm being brutally honest, the only reason I want to build myself up is for self confidence! I am active and play some sports casually, so it would help with that, but confidence is definitely the main thing. I would love to get my arms to 15 inches and add another inch at least on my chest and I'd be happy (for now at least :D).

Part of the problem I have is that I don't have a very good perception of what I look like, as I always think really negatively about myself (something I'm actually in therapy for). Loads of my friends have said I look really well built especially around the shoulders, but I don't see it. Part of the reason is that I compare myself to people who use sites like this or t-nation, when I really shouldn't be doing that, as these are people who are going for the bodybuilder look on the whole, which I don't want.

So like I said, if I can get to 15inches on my arms, and add a couple of inches to my chest that'd be fine for me! But I find it really hard to put muscle on, and have to go absolutely balls to the wall to make any gains, and I'm not even coming close at the minute, because of the low weight restricting me. And because I don't feel like I'm doing very well, it de-motivates me completely. Also, bulking up costs me quite a lot because of supplements etc. and I'm not in the greatest financial position.

To be honest, I've thought about it and I have actually already decided to go on a cut and see what I'm left with, so if you could give me any advice on how to go about it, while limiting the amount of muscle I lose during it, that'd be brilliant!

To finish off, this is the sort of thing I'm after in the end - great v-shape but still pretty bulky (not terms of bodybuilders obviously)

Image[/img]

Zanne
n00b
n00b

Post by Zanne » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:31 am

Mr_Schneebly wrote:
Zanne wrote:Hi, do you only have loose weights at home or do you have other equipment like bikes and steppers ect.?
I have a bench that can incline, a barbell, two dumbells, and weight plates totalling 60kg. I also have a pull up bar in my doorway :)
Have you tried plyometrics? There is a list of plyometric exercises on this site. http://www.exrx.net/Lists/PowerExercises.htm

Then reading about your 'not happy about my body' issues, you will not be satisfied even when you reach your mentioned goals. I don't know you so I am assuming here. We are all different for a reason, so the world would not be such a boring place. Learn to love 'YOU' and be gratefull for what you have and everything else will come naturally. There is nothing wrong with wanting to improve but be realistic, I am sure you already have a great body.

leanmuscle13
Novice
Novice

Post by leanmuscle13 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:10 am

While I was reading your entry I felt like wow there's someone else out there who feels like I do! Man first thing you have to stop doing is comparing yourself to others! Build your body based on it's capablities. For example I'm a home lifter like yourself, but I've learned (from this website) that your core lifts often yield the best results (Squats, benchpress, deadlifts, Press). I'm 5'10" 180lbs, I have a fairly decent upper body build, but have chicken legs! :wink: Although my legs are smaller than I would like I see improvements that have occurred through my workouts. So although I may not be where I want to be, I see that I'm on the road to getting there! That's what matters! Oh yeah I also learned from this website that if you have high enough standards on your bench you can purchase saw horses and use them as safety's when you squat. This way if you have to bail out you can do it safely...but don't go too heavy just heavier than what you've been doing!

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:06 pm

60kg isnt much weight man. I'm sorry, you either need to REALLY up the weight or get a membership. Membership would probably be the better call.

Rik-Blades
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Rik-Blades » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:00 pm

Brook011 wrote:60kg isnt much weight man. I'm sorry, you either need to REALLY up the weight or get a membership. Membership would probably be the better call.
Agreed, there are only 3 realistic options.

1. Get creative with the equipment you already have (Single leg squats, Very heavy lunges etc.)

2. Join a gym.

3. Invest in some new equipment.

I workout at home, I've found buying my own equipment to be a sound investment and relatively cheap compared to gym memberships in the UK.

Looking at it in terms of a hobby, you cant do much better than investing in your health and fitness.