Hand eye coordination and peripheral vision

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

Zanne
n00b
n00b

Hand eye coordination and peripheral vision

Post by Zanne » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:43 am

Hi Guys, I am new here. I hope you don't mind me asking a few questions. I have surfed the web and I just can't find anything.

I am looking for methods in training and improving hand eye coordinatione and peripheral vision for High school rugby players. I know there are methods of testing this too. I think the practice is called Visula identity, I just can't remember, it was such a long time ago that was in contact with these methods.

I hope I am not just jabbering.

Regards

Lizanne

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:13 am

I googled improve hand eye coordination and got a bunch of stuff.

As for good peripheral vision, I think some guys have it and some guys don't. I'll use Barry Sanders as an example. He never worried about the guy trying to tackle him. He was always looking for the next two guys trying to tackle him. He just had great field vision. I'm not sure you can coach that.

Zanne
n00b
n00b

Post by Zanne » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:34 am

I think I did not explain myself correctly. I am looking for exercises that trains the optical muscles to identify moving objects earlier, so that the athlete have more time to respond. I know I mentioned hand eye coordination but I am not sure if it is exactly that.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:52 am

Sorry, I'm not understanding what you are looking for. Reaction time perhaps?

bob

Post by bob » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:19 pm

Could this be what you are referring to? http://www.sportseyesight.com/

bob

Post by bob » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:24 pm

Sorry. :red: I spelled the address wrong! Try this: http://www.sportseyesite.com

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:37 pm

Zanne wrote:I think I did not explain myself correctly. I am looking for exercises that trains the optical muscles to identify moving objects earlier, so that the athlete have more time to respond. I know I mentioned hand eye coordination but I am not sure if it is exactly that.
I'm sorry, but this makes no sense to me. The "optical muscles"? What are they? There are muscles within the eye that adjust focus, and adjust the iris. There are extraoccular muscles that control the position of the eye. I don't see how either group could do what you suggest. Muscles do not "identify moving objects" or any other kind of object. They just adjust the eye to see clearly and to point in the right direction.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:45 pm

bob wrote:Sorry. :red: I spelled the address wrong! Try this: http://www.sportseyesite.com
Well, I still don't know. This sounds a little more possible than "training muscles to recognize things". This is a skill, or group of skills that I suppose might be trained and improved.

Onlyethic
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Onlyethic » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:08 am

sounds like reaction time. a good way to work on this is having athletes run as quickly as possible through forested areas. this challenges the brain with regard to reaction time and will have a lasting effect.

similarly, video games have a strong effect on reaction time. 30 minutes a few times a week.

there are also instruments (toys, really) like the Jeeter Ball. all these things have a cumulative effect.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:14 am

I almost feel stupid for saying this. But, you should start playing Table Tennis.

There's a table in my work. I was extremely bad when we first got it about a year ago. I've played most lunch times since we got it. Now I reckon i'm worthy of "London 2012". Reactions are amazing now! You need to be quick to 'smash a smash' and so on.

KPj

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:09 am

Don't feel stupid KPj. There were several recommendations to play ping pong to increase hand eye coordination. Apparently it does a heck of a job.

Zanne
n00b
n00b

Post by Zanne » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:16 am

bob wrote:Sorry. :red: I spelled the address wrong! Try this: http://www.sportseyesite.com
Thank you So Much Bob! :grin: That is exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you so much for all the recommendations, I think the forest run and table tennis will do wonders.

I am sorry I was not able to explain myself properly. It seemed to have caused some frustration, it was not my intention. I have been out of the Sport Science game for a few years and I have a lot of catching up to do. I appreciate your patience.
:red: