former lurker

disc prutrosion

Post by jabara777 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:41 am

Hi

my MRI report say
L2/3,L3/4,L4/5 discs are hypointense protruded posturiorly
causing mild-moderate pressure upon thecal sac and cauda equina
intact nerve roots
i will appreciate any advice if i can play certain exercises and type of this exercises
HADI

quadfrog
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by quadfrog » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:58 pm

For anything that involves the central nervous system, I would not seek advice from an internet forum or anyone other than a physician who is familiar with your case.

If your doctor has already said NO weight lifting of any kind, I'd take that as an indication that doing so will REALLY screw up your life.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:26 pm

quadfrog wrote:For anything that involves the central nervous system, I would not seek advice from an internet forum or anyone other than a physician who is familiar with your case.

If your doctor has already said NO weight lifting of any kind, I'd take that as an indication that doing so will REALLY screw up your life.
This is not the central nervous system, it's the low back.

OP, I assume that the doctor has told you to "strengthen your back" or something like that.

You should proceed slowly and carefully. The exercises which done properly will help you the most are the one which if done improperly will hurt you the most! You want those discs to stay like they are, or maybe even improve. You don't want to turn protrusions into herniations!

I'd ask for a referral to a physical therapist who can help you get started. Eventually you will want to be doing dead lifts and squats with good form. The form is key!

stuward

Post by stuward » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:32 pm

You asked the same question yesterday on another site:

http://www.healingwell.com/community/de ... &m=1392717

Didn't you like the answer you got there? Common sense would tell you that you need professional guidance. An Engineer should understand that.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:19 pm

stuward wrote:You asked the same question yesterday on another site:

http://www.healingwell.com/community/de ... &m=1392717

Didn't you like the answer you got there? Common sense would tell you that you need professional guidance. An Engineer should understand that.
Stu: I'd agree, except that this is only a "protrusion" which probably has little or no practical effect. If you have never had an MRI or CT of your lumbar spine, you could have one or protrusion without ever knowing it, and would never know it if you never have the study. I don't think (it's bee a while, but this is what I recall) that he's at any greater risk for a herniation than the average person.

jabara777
former lurker

Post by jabara777 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:43 am

Hi

My Mri said that protruded discs causing mild-moderate pressure effect upon the thecal sac and cauda equina
any advice i will appreciate
warm regards
Hadi