One arm overhead lift challenge

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:17 am

LOL. I would love to go to the gym and do one arm snatch all kilted up, just for the looks I would get.

I probably prefer the idea of having a couple of pints THEN going to a park and tossing around DB's, though.

I must admit, I don't know all that much about the highland games, well, down to rules or technique. They're actually quite rare where I stay. YOu get these smaller one's that are kind of based on the idea but more aimed at fun for all the family. The only thing appealing is th tug of war, though.

Robertscott is actually FROM the Highlands, if I remember correctly?

Also, my gym has a new manager, and he's an ex highland games competitor and thrower, looking to compete in PL now. He has a 660lbs DL, 530lbs squat, and 340lbs bench at the moment, at ~220lbs. Currently he's trying to cut down to 200. It's good to have him around. Already, he's made the free weights area bigger, and is taking charge of a re-fit for the gym this summer, where we're getting a propper power rack and DL plat form and a lot more space. Not really relevant but i'm excited like a little kid about the refit so i had to mention it.

KPj

KPj

Post by KPj » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:35 am

Oh, almost forgot. Done the Snatch again on Sat. Made it the second exercise of yet another full body routine, after front squats. Maybe a bizarre paring there but I couldn't help myself. I was doing sets of 5. Was just working up the weight like I did last time, and wanted to keep going till my speed slowed down.

Got 3 reps @ 84lbs/38kg, both sides. best 5 was 80lbs both sides. I probably shouldn't of went heavier due to fatigue on prior sets but couldn't help it. I ended the set at 3 on the account of a slight stumble but more because I felt like I done the rep in slow motion. It's the strangest feeling when your speed just goes like that. Also, I do my weak side first (left) and don't do more reps on the strong side so reps are always even.

Loving it, though. I'm grooving the tecnhique quickly, probably down to being used to cleans, DL's+squats (both heavy and speed), and OH squats.

So, my new target is ~100lbs. 84lbs felt ok, I still didn't NEED to drop into a deep squat to get under it, but i'm all too aware that soon,k as with all new exercises, i'm going to hit a brick wall and progress will slow down.

KPj

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:38 am

This afternoon I shot some video of myself doing DB snatches. Sheesh! Takes looking dorky to a new level! None of ya'll are ever going to see that. I have to get some form before I can have anyone critique it.

And then I spent so much time doing light reps for the video, that I was too tired to do anything as heavy as I did last time.

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:10 am

KPj wrote:...Got 3 reps @ 84lbs/38kg, both sides. best 5 was 80lbs both sides. I probably shouldn't of went heavier due to fatigue on prior sets but couldn't help it. I ended the set at 3 on the account of a slight stumble but more because I felt like I done the rep in slow motion. It's the strangest feeling when your speed just goes like that. Also, I do my weak side first (left) and don't do more reps on the strong side so reps are always even.

KPj
Power disapates quickly so I think working 3 rep sets works better than 5. Do multiple sets if you want more volume. Something I read by Pavel suggests using your strong side first. It's sort of like a rehearsal for your nervous system. Doing it with the strong side first teaches your body to do it right. Then your weak side has a better chance of completing the lift with good form. Don't do more with your strong side than you know you can do with your weak side.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:14 am

aye laddie, I'm from the Highlands, the correct term is a "Teuchter" (1000 points to anyone who can pronounce that correctly from the spelling) Jungledoc what you were saying about the caber toss is pretty much spot on.

Right I've been too scared to participate in this challenge up til now due to my pathetic numbers but it sounds too good to miss going to hit the gym in the next day or two and I'll post some results

KPj

Post by KPj » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:25 am

stuward wrote: Power disapates quickly so I think working 3 rep sets works better than 5. Do multiple sets if you want more volume. Something I read by Pavel suggests using your strong side first. It's sort of like a rehearsal for your nervous system. Doing it with the strong side first teaches your body to do it right. Then your weak side has a better chance of completing the lift with good form. Don't do more with your strong side than you know you can do with your weak side.
Yeah, the sets of 5 killed me, especially on Sat because I didn't start with very light weights. Obviously it's the huge ROM. My thoughts over the challenge, since it's a new lift to me, was to do it twice per weak "lot's of times" (lot's = 5 for me) for the first 2 weeks to master the technique, then make it a priority in my workouts, once per week, for the 2 weeks after, where I intend on doing heavy triples on week 3, then, if form feels up to it, 1RM test on week 4. I would do the test with the strong side first, as I would look to get as heavy as possible.

I'm also playing it by ear though, I may toss the sets of 5 out the window this week. Depends, my schedule it's sort of nuts just now, still don't know how many days I can train this week.

On the Pavel recommendation - makes sense. Gray Cook, when talking about correcting side to side movement discrepancies, recommends doing the strong side first, so that the correct movements pattern is fresh in your CNS for when you do the weak side. Both my sides are actually quite even, so I may switch it around and see what it's like. I was more affraid of making an awkward catch on the left side if I done it second, though, so I might just wait till 'test day'.

Thanks

KPj

KPj

Post by KPj » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:31 am

robertscott wrote:aye laddie, I'm from the Highlands, the correct term is a "Teuchter" (1000 points to anyone who can pronounce that correctly from the spelling) Jungledoc what you were saying about the caber toss is pretty much spot on.
I'm guessing i'm not included in that challenge? :wink:

LOL. I can't believe that's actually how it's spelled. I googled it and got it on Wiki, here's a quote

The term is often taken to mean "ignorant northerner"

hahaha. That's funny.

KPj

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:40 am

cheeky wikipedia, me and the rest of the clan are going to get kilted up and smash something

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:03 pm

robertscott wrote:cheeky wikipedia, me and the rest of the clan are going to get kilted up and smash something
Man, you'ld fit right in in PNG!

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:39 pm

Don't worry Doc. My form is atrocious as well. I actually posted my clean and press on FB for a laugh. I actually hit my chin (you can hear it) on my first attempt. I about knocked a couple of teeth out.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:47 am

Jungledoc wrote:Man, you'ld fit right in in PNG!
don't tempt me Doc, my flat has no central heating and the perpetual cold's starting to make me insane. I could do with moving to a tropical island.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:29 am

ok so my first attempt at some dumbell snatching, i wasn't trying to go too haevy, just getting the technique, I've never pulled it from the floor before. I did three sets of 5 reps at 22.5 kilos (about 50lbs) and managed it fairly easily.

My goal is a set of 5 at 30 kilos (66 lbs) by the time the challenge is up

Blue Running Man
Novice
Novice

Post by Blue Running Man » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:00 pm

Day 2,

To make a long story short, my CNS felt slow today. I skipped a rest day, since I skipped a day earlier this week. So I felt a little slow.

I managed 80x4.

My form feels great on the pull, and today I really felt the power transfer, but I'm not dropping down enough for the lockout, and trying to push press the weight the rest of the way. I'm almost landing straight legged.

Also, I felt lightheaded, I'm holding my breath briefly, right at the beginning of the pull. I feel a little dizzy at the top, take a couple breaths and I'm back to normal. Perhaps I should try to exhale the entire time.

On a side note, I also do power cleans after DB One Arm Snatch. Today they felt horrible. I felt like I could hardly break the ground and the bar was barely moving at the bottom. Once the bar raised 6 inches, speed seemed to pick back up. My lower back has been very sore lately, just when I think the worst is behind me, It starts to irritate me again. Perhaps this is why the power cleans were so slow.

KPj

Post by KPj » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:26 am

I had an interesting session on Sat. Done the DB snatch again. However, this time, the new-freakishly-strong-manager was in. I've started getting lifts in with him recently. Anyway, he says the One arm, DB snatch was oneo f his favourtie exercises. It was one of the main exercises he trained as a thrower (he's ex highland games and strong man competitor). One thing I asked him was about the drop and catch part. I explained that all the weights i'm using just now don't make me squat very deep (quarter squat at most) to get under the weight, and that I had a dilemma. Learn to land in a deeper squat with a lighter weight since the exercise was still quite new, or, go heavy enough to be forced into a deeper squat when i catch? He looked at me and said "mmmm..... If the answer can be "go heavier", you should just go heavier." Bad influence.

So, being the bad influence that he is, my sets of 5 for first 2 weeks thing went out the window. I got one rep, both sides, at 44kg/97lbs. When I got to 42kg, my shallow squat all of a sudden became "atleast parallel", according to freaky manager guy. Even though it FELT slow to me, he said it moved very fast, and I looked capable of more.

Funny thing was, I was finished at 42kg (2 reps, both sides), felt heavy enough for the day on a still new movement. After convincing me to go for 44, he cleared a 15 ft radius around me - Thanks for the vote of confidence.

We had a debate on technique. He, at first, told me I started with the DB too far forward, and should place it under/behind me more. He said I should aim to get it travelling in an 'arc' motion. When I tried it, foolishly with 42kg, I didn't even get it to my chest area. Remembering Hoisters description, I said, "I was thinking that I should get the weight to travel in a straight line? therefore, I'm throwing it UP, and jumping under it to catch, instead of throwing it around and over me". He asked to see it again, then corrected himself. He was taught to do it with an arc because he was learning to throw things over his head/behind him. He concluded that I should keep doing what i'm doing, and ignore the arc thing.

Was a good day. I also asked him what a good weight was on the DB snatch - he said "50% bodyweight is pretty good". So I weighed myself - 78kg/172lbs. So, i'm at around 56% b/w so far. I'm hooked on this exercise.

KPj

KPj

Post by KPj » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:03 am

As a side note. Hoister can DB snatch more than I weigh.

How insignificant do I feel.

Jeeeeeeeeeez

I wish I had access to DB's that heavy.

I'm setting a new target, which I know will be quite difficult. 42-44kg felt like 'the brick wall' that you hit with a new exercise. My new target is 50KG/110lbs, the heaviest DB's available to me.

Have I ever mentioned that when my DB's get to 42kg, the handles double in thickness? Does anyone elses do that? I like it for the grip work, and i'm used to it anyway through DB pressing an Rows. Just seems a little strange.

KPj