In dire need of help...

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Goldengear6191
n00b
n00b

In dire need of help...

Post by Goldengear6191 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:32 pm

Hi, this is my first time posting. I would like to start off by saying that THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST TOTAL FITNESS WEBSITES EVER!!!

Okay so, with that out of the way, I need some help reassembling my workout routine. I'll start by giving out some general information. I have no time constraint to deal with currently, I am a tractuer (one who practices parkour), i have a pretty healthy diet (only drink water, no fast foods or sweets, good balance of carbs/proteins/fats), i weigh around 137 lbs 5'10".

What I am hoping to accomplish -with your help- is a total fitness schedule including strength training as well as endurance training, jogging, plyometrics and isometrics. From my knowledge i can do 1set 1 rep 3-5 sec holds isometric workouts everyday.

More specific goals would be to do over 100 push ups(on my fingers) and sit ups, 40-60 pull ups, increase my jump height (hence the plyo), handstand push ups, run 6 minute miles (about 2-3), I'm not sure what these are called but push ups from the hips elevating your entire body, superman push ups and lastly greatly increase the strength of my wrists and hands in terms of static strength and crushing power. On top of all this, I would like to generally increase my strength through resistance training without gaining significant weight or mass. I also looking for a endurance oriented ab routine rather than strength oriented.

My current routine is
Morning- dynamic stretching (everyday)
isometrics(6 times a week)
later in the day (the following are in the 8-12 rep zone 1 set done every other day)
squats
good morning
standing calf raise
sitting calf raise
bent over row
upright row
bench press
behind neck press
barbell curl
french press
night- static stretching (every day)

I also jog 3-5 times a week at a 7-8 minute mile pace.

My question in general is, how to schedule all of this without overtraining?

More specific questions
Should i bother doing squats since i want to incorporate plyometrics?
Which days should i jog if I'm including plyometrics?
How should i schedule my workout to incorporate both heavy weight training and heavy endurance training without overtraining?
What are the best ways to increase crushing power and static grip strength and how should i schedule them into the rest of this mess?

As you can see I'm having a little trouble scheduling all this.
Any help would be appreciated. Helping my create a solid schedule would be even more appreciated.

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:53 am

If it were up to me, I would train either for strength or endurance. Not both at the same time. The pushups and pullup goals aren't ridiculous as your bodyweight is fairly low "no offense". If I were to approach this, I would cut down the 3-5 days a week jogging down to 1-2 days per week, on off days when you don't lift or work anaerobicically "strength training". Running that much, which if you really are running at a 7-8 mile pace, is going to be quite catabolic "breaks down" to your muscles and strength you work on. As for overtraining, you're fine as long as you take care of yourself, dont undereat, and monitor your energy levels when you workout. First sign of overtraining is usually a lack of energy or loss of strength. With all the work you're putting in you should be eating like a horse.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:07 pm

First, as to the Squats. Yes, do them in addition to plyometrics. As to not being able to train strength and endurance at the same time; well, it's like walking a tight rope, but yes, I believe that with a conjugate style program, it's the way to go. I don't think a set schedule is the way to go, just a loose outline from which to draw from. Te crossfit style programs are essentially what you are asking for, which focuses on all aspects of fitness. Do I drink their coolade? No, but I do think in your case and stated goals, you'd be better off with their style of mix, at least long enough to get a grasp of what their workouts are like. Then take the good that you can enefit from, and tailor it to yourself. Go to http://www.crossfit.com read through the what is it it's, how to start, and go through some of the daily WOD listings to start to get a grasp of what they do and why. It's a non-specific style of GENERAL fitness training. Lots of military, police, fire and MAA types use this type of general conditioning. After you're familiar, then you can merge what you need into what they suggest.
Tim

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:44 pm

I have never heard of parkour before. It's a very fascinating philosophy. Worth further study for sure.

Are you sure you are 5'10" 137? You're not measuring with your shoes on and your scale isn't broken is it? I guess it might be ok if you're a female ecto. Thin is good, but you don't want to be too thin.

I agree that crossfit would probably be a good option for you.

Bodyweight stuff is probably something you should concentrate on. It definitely won't add much muscle, possibly none. It will let make you better at handling your own bodyweight. There is a lot of that in crossfit.

I think you might want to do some lifting with low reps, low total volume and heavy weight. That should maximize your strength with very little muscle gain.

Goldengear6191
n00b
n00b

Post by Goldengear6191 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:44 pm

Lol, don't worry i don't take offense from being tall and skinny. Also thanks for the crossfit link I'll look into it.

Thanks for the advice on jogging.

Lastly... yes i do eat like a hoarse, 5 meals a day.

Thank you all for the input.

Goldengear6191
n00b
n00b

Post by Goldengear6191 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:04 pm

Actually crossfit is exactly what I've been looking for. "Warrior athletes" it sells itself.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:12 pm

Goldengear6191 wrote:Actually crossfit is exactly what I've been looking for. "Warrior athletes" it sells itself.
Crossfit is pretty good stuff. One thing that's not always clear when you start is that the Workout of the Day (WOD) is meant to be challenging to a fit and experienced athlete (they say "elite athletes.") You will almost certainly need to scale - take it slower, do less reps, etc. and you will need to gauge your own recovery needs. If you jump right into the WOD and do it 3 days on, 1 day off, 100% effort every day, you'll certainly burn out at some point.

There is a thread on this exact subject over on Performance Menu:
http://performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3909

I wrote in on that one as well.

But it's a good program, if only because you really do get asked to do a wide variety of stuff. I don't do Crossfit anymore but I stuck with it for a few months and then took out of it what was working for me. It's absolutely worth checking out given your stated goals!

Goldengear6191
n00b
n00b

Post by Goldengear6191 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:02 am

I've been looking around crossfit all day and it looks more and more like the perfect workout for me.

One question though, I was checking the way they do pullups and (from the view of my untrained eyes) they seem ineffective. I'm used to dead leg pull ups, which in my opinion are more effective. Crossfit pullups seem to be exerting less effort from there arms. Unless of course, they are trying to tax their entire body.

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:22 am

This has been discussed recently here. Crossfit pull ups are a completely different exercise than normal pull ups. The Crosssfit pull up is a whole body exercise with emphasis on power vs strength.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:57 am

Look on their forums for "kipping pullups." That's the standard they use. You can certainly do dead-hang pullups - it'll be more upper-body strength emphasis. The kipping pullups allow you to use more of your whole body in the movement so you can bang out more reps quickly. For speed-based workouts - the Crossfit metcons (metabolic conditioning workouts) - the goal is more work (more reps in less time). Kipping pullups let you do that.

So you can pick and choose. The standard everyone will use them posting times is kipping pullups. In fact, sometimes a WOD will come up that says "dead hang pullups" to differentiate them from kipping pullups.

Some of the Crossfit guys claim superior transfer from kipping to dead hang (learn to kip better, you'll get better at dead hangs), while others claim no transfer (kipping doesn't help improve your dead hang numbers).

Like Stu said, they're really different exercises...