Upper/Lower Splits?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Upper/Lower Splits?

Post by brook011 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:41 pm

Tried this today -- what do you guys think?

AM WORKOUT
Barbell Curls / Dumbbell Curls (602) 5+5x5
Preacher Curls / DB Hammer Curls (602) 5+5x5
Dips / Decline Tricep Extensions 5+5x5
Flat DB Tricep Extension / Cable Pulldown (602) - 5+5x5

PM WORKOUT
Front Barbell Squat / Leg Extension (602) 5+5x5
One Legged Back Raises / Leg Curls (602) 5+5x5

Added a meal to my intake to compensate. I was thinking of doing this every other workout by doing two supersets -- say deadlifts / nat ham raises, or said leg workout above, rotated back and forth. What do you guys think? I'm just trying to keep my body guessing, and hit 230lbs.

Rucifer

Post by Rucifer » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:53 pm

I don't think you really need two forms of curls...but that's just my opinion. Then again I don't know what you are going for. If you want Herculean arms, then I guess you might need that...

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:54 pm

Arms are up almost a half inch in 2 months actually :) It's a form of volume training, only the 100 reps are distributed differently, instead of 10 sets of 10 reps.

Rucifer

Post by Rucifer » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:14 pm

Guess you can't knock that. I am just personally biased against arm isolation (well in reality any isolation) because of what its done for me/the guys I see doing it at the gym. I took an oath and vowed never to do another curl or tricep extension as long as I shall live. To get some arm work in I just change grip styles and positions on the bigger lifts. Close grip benches and shoulder presses for tris, and close grip underhand chins and palms facing in rows for bis. And you still get some benefit on the other major muscle groups as well. I think I get a better rise in metabolism with these as well, since I have been able to shed a lot more fat cutting out isolation work.

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:25 pm

Yah, I followed a workout for my first year back lifting to rebuild my overall strength, and switch to a volume program as the new year came from t-nation.com to put some size on. Nice thing about this program is its very physically demanding as well, so while it sounds like curls wont get you sweating, when you're giving yourself 60-90 seconds rest and doing another set+superset, you fatigue very quickly. I've had a couple friends try the program, and it tests your bodies endurance very quickly.

-- and I know what you mean. Everyday around 5pm is bicep-o-clock and 15 guys are standing in front of the mirrors doing arm curls.. though only a couple guys are as big/bigger than me currently. guess i'm doing something right.