Rest between reps.. THATS RIGHT ITS REPS NOT SETS

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

frankie123
Novice
Novice

Rest between reps.. THATS RIGHT ITS REPS NOT SETS

Post by frankie123 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:45 pm

ok so im doing supersets n doing dumb bell curl. can i rest between reps like do mayb 6 reps n rest for 20 seconds do another 6 reps to complete the set [set of 12 reos]

i dun really wanna decrease the weight :wink: [pretty sure no one does]

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:53 pm

the idea of a superset is TUT -- or time under tension, the weight isn't as important as is the time under tension. drop the weight if you cant do it man, its not a penis measuring contest in the gym :)

frankie123
Novice
Novice

Post by frankie123 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:01 pm

lmfaooooo well doesnt matter if i have to do superset or not im just wondering can i rest betwen reps?

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:07 pm

I don't think it would really make it a set. It would be more like two sets of 6 reps.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:51 pm

You can do any sort of pattern of sets/reps/rest you want, depending on desired effect. Some people do a method where they rest briefly after every rep (is that "drop sets"?). Having said that, I don't see the value of resting in the middle of a set. That really turns it into 2 sets. What are you SSing the DB curls with?

Supersets can be done for many different purposes. It can be, like brook mentioned, to increase TOT. It can be done to turn the whole thing into more of an endurance workout. It can be done to isolate a "weak link" by SSing a compound exercise and an isolation lift that hits a limited part of the same movement. Or it can be done just to save time by SSing unrelated exercises, so that while you're doing one, you are essentially resting from the other. (I think some people would call it something else when you alternate unrelated exercises--?interset?).

But what do you mean about not wanting to drop weight? You need to work a range of weight. Don't only do your 12RM. You wouldn't want to do the same weight for 3 that you do for 12. Use the weight that is appropriate for the lift you are doing, and the rep/set range you are working. You certainly wouldn't use the same weight in a superset of similar movements that you would for either lift done by itself!

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:05 pm

Resting in a set is "paused reps",but usually not done for over 5-10 seconds, the time it takes to catch your breath, reset grips, or whatever. Drop sets are when you go with a weight, do the desired number of reps, pause long enough to lower the weight and do reps again with the lower weight. As to what the OP is doing, I would term it as 2 sets of 6
Tim

stuward

Post by stuward » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:47 pm

Doing a series of mini sets with short breaks is called cluster sets. 10 seconds isn't enough to fully recover so you're still getting the effect of the first set.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Cluster-Train ... &id=111739

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:46 pm

Great link stuward - I was actually wondering the same thing recently. A lot of posters here and on stronglifts advocated more sets at a higher intensity. I've tried to incorporate that into my recently-modified routine and was wondering about taking that to the extreme.

It seems like calf block and pull ups might be a good candidate for trying this somewhat safely without a spotter?