ab rolling

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

ab rolling

Post by robertscott » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:53 pm

i have a bad feeling I'll be laughed off the forum for this but here goes: I was resting between sets at my gym the other day and I noticed an ab roller. My only ever experience of these was my mother had one she bought off the shopping channel, used it once, strained all the muscles in her stomach and never touched it again.

So in my mind I'd always thought of them in the same vein as other gimmicky keep fit stuff that's basically a load of rubbish, but anyway I saw it at the gym and just for a larf gave it a bash...

...and now I'm crippled, seriously. My whole abs feel like they're on fire, moving from prone to standing takes a mammoth effort.

So is ab rolling any good? It certainly feels like it's worked my abs harder than they've ever been worked before, but i dunno the whole concept just seems a bit crass to me.

cheers
bob

manofsteel1385
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by manofsteel1385 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:13 pm

I'm going to go out on a stump here and say they are good for you.LOL. You work your abs in a different way though almost as stablizers. I'm not entirely sure but I know if I had an ab roller I'd use them daily. Bad thing with ab rollers and people getting hurt on them.... you can strain yourself easily if your abs aren't strong enough. I read some where that 65% of workout related injuries are caused by people hurting their necks torquing them while doing crunches and sit ups. If you do not know the proper way of doing a workout you can easily hurt yourself... anyone could.

I think the ab roller is a great option just don't kill yourself use it in moderation until you have the stamina and strength to use it a lot.

John

Rucifer

Post by Rucifer » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:24 pm

I think the ab roller is one of those gimmick-type products that's actually not half bad. I've used it before and it definitely works out your stomach muscles pretty tough. I think eventually it would become obsolete simply because you would not be able to add resistance...but in my experience that would be after a long time of building up on it.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:32 pm

There is nothing wrong with the ab roller. It isn't a gimmick or trendy thing. It works. I just doesn't work like advertised. It is like the (I can't believe I'm saying this) bowflex. It too has some credibility and you will get good out of it (I think free weights are better in this case), but you won't end up looking like the models on the advertisements.

ninjackn
Novice
Novice

Post by ninjackn » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:46 pm

A wheel on a stick (for abs) has been on the fitness scene for a while. The TV just changes it a little and markets it as something "new".

Now that I think about it, there was probably ab rolling with a barbell before the wheel on a stick.

But yeah, take the wheel on a stick, throw in some gears and color BAM new wonder product that didn't need "improving".

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:05 pm

I recall seeing someone who journals on this forum list ab rolling among their routine exercises. I'd forgotten about it, but have been looking for something new for my spot-reduction program :lol: . There is a stick in our gym, so I think I'll stick it through a 10-pound O-weight and give it a roll. Not much, since I have to travel in 2 days, and really don't want to be sore.

Remember when we were talking about the "Perfect Push-Up" gizmo? I discovered that a couple of 5 or 10 pound plates on a pair of plate-loaded dumbbell handles works the same way. Actually, it'll completely roll away from you if you aren't careful, so I think they require more of your stabilizers than something that just swivels.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:52 pm

Ab rolling is no more silly than doing planks. If your abs are really weak, it might be helpful for a while.

Now the bowflex certainly does have 1 very good use. (two if you count pushing it over on an intruder.) It is the only way you can train in a 0 G environment, or on another planet with low gravity. So years later when space stations are larger, and we have a moon base, the astronauts will need it to stay fit.

KPj

Post by KPj » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:45 am

Ab rolling is as silly as doing any other ab or 'anterior core' exercise you can think of :wink:

The Ab roller is one of those gimmicky things that's actually pretty good. But in the same way as the 'perfect push up' is pretty good.

You don't need an Ab roller(although if you have one, use it). You can just do 'bar rollouts' - stick some discs on a bar, and do it that way. Personally rollouts are an exercise I do regularly, and you'll struggle to find a reputable coach who doesn't recommend them.

When doing them with a bar there's lot's of progressions availalbe, a lot of these will be available with the roller, too.

For example, more weight on the bar makes it more difficult to 'roll back in'. You can elevate yourself. You can also do it against bands.

KPj

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:57 am

I gotta agree. It's definately not new, I saw them around in the early 60's. Maybe not the newer models with the nice clicky, resistance providing thingys, but basically a wheel on a handle. Serves a purpose, die it nicely, claims nothing more or less, and is basically a good tool you might want to use.
Tim

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:31 pm

Perfect Abs. $49.99. If you order within the next 30 minutes, we'll send you a free pair of Perfect Push Ups! And that's not all! Order in the next 30 minutes, and you'll get not just 1 but 2 Perfect Abs, so that you any that special someone can work your abs together!

ninjackn
Novice
Novice

Post by ninjackn » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:26 pm

Jungledoc wrote:Perfect Abs. $49.99. If you order within the next 30 minutes, we'll send you a free pair of Perfect Push Ups! And that's not all! Order in the next 30 minutes, and you'll get not just 1 but 2 Perfect Abs, so that you any that special someone can work your abs together!
Could you imagine going down a hill with two Perfect Abs? Holding one of them with your hands and the other one with your feet... you'd be a human scooter!

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:31 pm

Act now, and get a set of accessory toe straps for just $19.99!

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:50 pm

In all seriousness, I think the ab wheel is useful. It's not new. Beast Skills has a picture of an old, old, ab wheel:
http://www.beastskills.com/AbWheel.htm

My coach in Japan had one, I couldn't do a full pike with one. From my knees was hard enough for me.

Also, Ross Enamait likes them. It's a good tool, but I think you need to work up to it from planks and so on.

It doesn't seem so different to me than barbell rollouts, either. The guy at Straight to the Bar agrees:
http://www.straighttothebar.com/2006/07 ... wheel.html
(and he's got links to Ross's videos)

Onlyethic
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Onlyethic » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:35 pm

I did barbell rollouts today, for first time in a while. Put some weight on there and it killed.

Rucifer

Post by Rucifer » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:35 pm

I just said that the ab roller is a gimmick product because the ab roller itself is a somewhat gimmicky marketed product on late night infomercials. I wasn't trying to say that it was the only product of its kind though :lol:. A stick with wheels is basically the same thing but they don't advertise on TV a stick with wheels or a barbell with rounded plates at 2 am... :green: