ab rolling

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Jason Nunn
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Jason Nunn » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:48 pm

They work! However, the user must work up to it. Many of my clients have to start by doing roll outs on a swiss ball, then work up to an ab wheel. From there, I'll progress them to blast strap fallouts. Mike Robertson is doing them here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cIAVJ1vjuE

Stuart McGill and Mike Boyle have both written very extensively on this topic.

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:07 pm

I've been doing preying mantis-es on those inflatable balls lately. Soooo mean. I can barely do 10.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:58 am

I was reading a Mike Boyle article there and in it, he quotes Dan John

"I love those damn five dollar ab wheels. I loved them when they came out in the sixties, I loved them when they returned with the advent of the Internet, and I love them as my favorite "anterior chain" exercise."

The article he said that in is below, if anyones interested. It's actually avery entertaining and insightful article. Personally I feel most people's training is far too one dimensional. For example, I love squats, Deadlifts, bench pressing, OH pressing, rows and chins as much as the next guy, if not, more. But there's more to training than 6 exercises. Beginners shouldn't take note of that, since they should spend a lot time just learning the basic movements.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... new_muscle

KPj

KPj

Post by KPj » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:05 am

I actually may as well post this, too, by Mike Boyle.

In it, there's a progression to Bar Rollouts, so it may handy for anyone that wants to start doing this kind of stuff.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... e_training

KPj

Halfbreed
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Halfbreed » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:22 pm

I did some ab rollers when I was doing my cut-down routine, and within two months had an eight-pack. The best definition work on my abs i've ever done. In terms of obliques I got nothing from them, but for the main "pack," it was great. Now I'm back to gaining weight and lifting heavy and the abs are rapidly disappearing, but that's part of the game.

So yes, they work great, and no they are not a gimmick, although many people who try using them after not having developed any core stength previously get sore backs/spines and strained muscles because of the required core support needed to put yourself flat like that on the wheel.