Elbow extension weaker in right arm

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

toby123
Novice
Novice

Elbow extension weaker in right arm

Post by toby123 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:28 pm

When I do any exercise that requires both elbows to be extended at the same time - bench press, dips etc, I find that the right arm is slower to lock out and takes more effort, which is annoying. If only it was up to speed with the left arm! I think it is one factor holding me back in my lifting. Lately I have been doing DB bench presses instead of BB to try and resolve it but it doesn't seem to have helped.

What can I do?

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:40 pm

You could try pressing with one arm at a time. It could take a while to even out though.

Blue Running Man
Novice
Novice

Post by Blue Running Man » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:48 pm

Go back to the Bar. Drop some weight. Focus on pressing with perfect form.

Perfect.

Your mind is in control of your muscles, not the other way around. You tell them what to do. Keep your hands pressing at the same rate.

manofsteel1385
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by manofsteel1385 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:56 am

Blue Running Man wrote:Go back to the Bar. Drop some weight. Focus on pressing with perfect form.

Perfect.

Your mind is in control of your muscles, not the other way around. You tell them what to do. Keep your hands pressing at the same rate.
I like that idea but everyone or most everyone usually has muscle imbalances and times because either you're right handed or left handed. If i were you do what he says though eventually the imbalance will go away form and a proper lift is better then a heavier lift with improper form. If you have to compensate for the weak arm by raising your shoulder while bench pressing you can cause more problems. I had a friend do that while benching. Drop the weight and do it the best.

I know everyone loves numbers and wants to lift more but with perfect form on lower weight you will get a better workout. That's just me.