Squat numbers compared to DL numbers

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

manofsteel1385
Apprentice
Apprentice

Squat numbers compared to DL numbers

Post by manofsteel1385 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:52 am

Ok I someone on here said they read that your one rep max for squat should be 71% of your one rep max for deadlifting.

Here's my issue with this. I have squatted 400 lbs 8 times my best DL ever was 385 for 3 reps and that is cause I don't have good grip and need to work on that. I just want to know what other peoples numbers are. I feel backwards and want to know if there is a way to correct it and or increase DL numbers compared to squats other then obviously just dead lifting a lot more.

Thanks, John.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:16 am

Different people are built for different lifts. Some people will squat more than they DL,some people will DL more than they squat. There's no 'one size fits all'.

My last max DL attempt, a couple of months ago was 460lbs/210kg.

My Squat will be around 400lbs, not much higher than that. But that's based on a box squat of 350lbs / 160kg.

I train mostly box squat as opposed to free squat. I then train free squat for 2 week and max out on second week. Where I got a box squat of 145kg/320lbs, and free squat of 175kg/ 385lbs. Hence the complicated answer. Short one would be, "i don't know what I can squat right now".

My DL should be higher next time I test it, but i'm really struggling with my squatting, basically all variations. Strange but true.

KPj

manofsteel1385
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by manofsteel1385 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:23 am

I just want to get stronger and scary huge and I don't want a weakness holding me back. I'll be going to a new gym in a couple of weeks and I want to have a game plan set up and own. I love dead lifting and will not use straps I just want to get my deadlifting strength up compared to my squats that is all. Thanks kpj

John

KPj

Post by KPj » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:34 am

That's good. I mean, don't get me wrong, if they're miles apart in numbers, there's probably some kind of issue there. The gap i have between my squat and DL isn't all that uncommon, though, i've actually see much bigger gaps.

Strongest guy in my gym has a 300kg/660lbs DL, and a 260kg/560lbs Squat, for example.

You'll generally always have an easier time with one than the other. I have long legs and arms compared to the length of my torso, and so, i'm suited to DL's. I got up to ~400lbs without much thought. Different ball game after that, though. Squat is a nightmare, always has been, it's just never improved as quickly. The quickest gains i've had is when I first learned box squats then went back to it, which is one reasons I mostly do box squats now - when you get to doing free squats it's amazing.

KPj

EDIT: I don't mostly do anything, actually, I switch variations all the time. However, where I would normally do 'free squats', I just do box squats

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:49 am

Like KPJ stated, it's different for different people, based on leerages due to bone lengths, etc. I hate to generalize, but from glancing through my back issues of PLUSA, a trend seems to be that the folks in the lighter classes seem to have DL's more than the squat, whereas those in the heavier classes, epecially the Superheavies, seemed to Squat more than the DL. There are exceptions. Bottom line, work on both, but don't worry about differences too much.
Tim

manofsteel1385
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by manofsteel1385 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:50 am

What exactly are box squats? When you put a chair or a bench or something at a 90 degree angle and kind of touch it or something?

KPj

Post by KPj » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:56 am

manofsteel1385 wrote:What exactly are box squats? When you put a chair or a bench or something at a 90 degree angle and kind of touch it or something?
Pretty much. You put the box (bench or whatever) down, and squat down to it. When you touch the box, you sit on it completely, brief pause, and blast up. So it's just a squat except your sitting at the bottom, taking away the advantage of teh stretch reflex. Done properly you also more glute and ham emphasis, but that normally takes a bit of learning.

YOu can use a box and just 'tap and go', but that's not a box squat. That's just using a box tgo guage the propper depth. Something else that i'm a fan of.

Here's an article if your interested,

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... ead_to_toe

KPj

Halfbreed
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Halfbreed » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:28 pm

my DL is way weaker than my squats also. Best DL is right at 500, and my best squat is 650. I'm 6' with fairly long arms, but for the longest time I only worked out with cables because of what was accessible. I think this is the reason my DL is relatively weaker than my squat. I dont use straps either, although I am considering it to pack on some extra weight for my shrugs, as I have big, strong traps, and my grip fails me when I go past 475 for reps. My shoulders can handle it, but not my grip. One of the guards here has the "hooker" straps that are really just a meatl hook on a wrist band, and I'm thinking about trying that when I get over 475.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:43 am

halfbreed it might be your technique, i struggled to get a decent deadlift for ages then one day the form clicked and i added 20k to my lift in a week. Just a thought...