Calculating your Power.

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Blue Running Man
Novice
Novice

Calculating your Power.

Post by Blue Running Man » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:20 pm

My goals are to become a better athlete. Bigger, faster, stronger, all that.

So today I decided to test my power.

I found a staircase, measured each step, determined the vertical distance, and then ran up the staircase as fast as I could. I started the clock when my foot touched the first step, and stopped the clock when I touched the top step. I had about a 1.5 step moving start.

The vertical distance was 3.24m, my body weight was 81.5kg. The average of 4 attempts, came to 2.185sec.

This gives me a power output of 1184 Watts, or 1.6Hp.

So basically, what I've have found out is, that over the course of 2.185 seconds, I can put out and average of 1184 watts. Correct?

I am going to retest using the same stair case, in a couple weeks, and see if I make any improvements.

-If anyone has some information, or a chart that states what the expected power output should be for this duration that would be great. Also, any ideas on how to test max, instantaneous power. I guess I could use a power clean, and then time is and measure the vert, but that would be totally inaccurate without a high speed camera.

-Also, What about power to weight ratio? I come up with .00886 hp/lbs, or 14.5Watt/kg? Do these numbers sound right?

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Re: Calculating your Power.

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:05 am

Blue Running Man wrote:My goals are to become a better athlete. Bigger, faster, stronger, all that.

So today I decided to test my power.

I found a staircase, measured each step, determined the vertical distance, and then ran up the staircase as fast as I could. I started the clock when my foot touched the first step, and stopped the clock when I touched the top step. I had about a 1.5 step moving start.

The vertical distance was 3.24m, my body weight was 81.5kg. The average of 4 attempts, came to 2.185sec.

This gives me a power output of 1184 Watts, or 1.6Hp.

Blue,

How did you come up with 1184 watts? I'd be interesting in seeing what formula you used?
So basically, what I've have found out is, that over the course of 2.185 seconds, I can put out and average of 1184 watts. Correct?
What are you using the time of 2.185 seconds?
-If anyone has some information, or a chart that states what the expected power output should be for this duration that would be great. Also, any ideas on how to test max, instantaneous power. I guess I could use a power clean, and then time is and measure the vert, but that would be totally inaccurate without a high speed camera.

I have the Power Factor (http://maxrack.com/). It will provide you with some feed back on your power putput. The cost of the unit is about $100.

I got a deal on it from liftinglarge.com They may have some more in stock. However, I didn't see any. If you are interested email them.

I doubt for the price of the Power Factor unit that you get a precise measurement of your power output but you do get a pretty good idea.

I would compare the Power Factor to a good bathroom scale. You get a pretty good idea of what you body weight is.

To know you precise body weight, a medical scale is more precise.

Like scales to measure you body weight, the more you spend, the more precise the reading. .
-Also, What about power to weight ratio? I come up with .00886 hp/lbs, or 14.5Watt/kg? Do these numbers sound right?
Blue, how did you come up with the numbers. In other words, show me from start to stop your work on this.

Thanks,

Kenny Croxdale
Last edited by Kenny Croxdale on Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blue Running Man
Novice
Novice

Post by Blue Running Man » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:10 pm

P= m(9.8h)/t = watts, watts/745 = hp

m= mass kg.
t = time sec.
h = height of stairway in meters.

I use a scale for my body weight,

I measured the height of the steps in a tall stair case. - all 7 inches, multiplied by the total number of steps to get the height of the staircase.

I used a stopwatch for time, I started the clock when my foot hit the first step, I stopped the clock when my foot hit the last step. I took as much of a running start as I could, to try and take acceleration out of the equation.

I took several runs to get the feel for the staircase. I then rested 4 minutes, then took seven trial runs. Then used the average.

P= 81.5 x 9.8 x 3.24/2.18
----------------------------

I recall back in high school physics, several years ago, doing this same experiment. We even had a "1 Hp Club" for those that were able to reach this amount. There was a small handful of people that managed. Since my numbers are close, most likely greater than they were then, I feel that my math is accurate. I've gained a whole lot of speed and strength, with little mass since high school.

Technique and the size of staircase are going to play a role, it doesn't account for horizontal movement, so there has to be some power not accounted for. But if you use the same staircase, I feel the results will be accurate.

That power factor looks interesting. How difficult is it to move from machine to machine?

Halfbreed
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Halfbreed » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:25 pm

I did this same experiment for a science lab one time. I came out with like 3.5 horsepower.