If you were forced...

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Post Reply
Rucifer
Member
Member
Posts: 928
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:21 pm
Location: Ohio, USA

If you were forced...

Post by Rucifer » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:35 pm

To use a smith machine on either the squat or deadlift, which one would you choose? I know I know...evil question to ask- but an answer would be appreciated.

nygmen
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1802
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:51 pm
Location: Mass, USA

Post by nygmen » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:21 pm

Is this what hell is like?

I would have to say squats, with you feet out like a foot in front of you. Man I just shuttered thinking about that

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 5252
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 8:43 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by pdellorto » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:20 pm

Maybe deadlifts. Lock the bar into position and lift the whole machine up. :)

User avatar
Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer
Posts: 2097
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:20 pm
Location: New York City

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:26 pm

nygmen wrote:I would have to say squats, with you feet out like a foot in front of you. Man I just shuttered thinking about that
Ironman magazine did a regular feature called "Muscle Meets Magnet" years ago where they compared the MRI results of various exercises on a target muscle. Steve Holman, the magazine's editor, claims that MRI imaging of the Smith machine squat with the feet forward shows that it activates the hamstrings better than any other exercise. While that can be debated, the feet forward squat is the only exercise that I do regularly with a Smith machine.

ED: Ooops! I also do reverse lunges with a Smith machine, though not as often.

User avatar
Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3991
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:40 am

Post by Ironman » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:32 pm

I would probably sit on the floor and cry about it.

User avatar
Jungledoc
moderator
moderator
Posts: 7578
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:53 am

Stephen Johnson wrote:
nygmen wrote:I would have to say squats, with you feet out like a foot in front of you. Man I just shuttered thinking about that
Ironman magazine did a regular feature called "Muscle Meets Magnet" years ago where they compared the MRI results of various exercises on a target muscle. Steve Holman, the magazine's editor, claims that MRI imaging of the Smith machine squat with the feet forward shows that it activates the hamstrings better than any other exercise. While that can be debated, the feet forward squat is the only exercise that I do regularly with a Smith machine.

ED: Ooops! I also do reverse lunges with a Smith machine, though not as often.
How is this test even possible? Do they claim that they did the MRI during the exercise? If so, that's impossible. Or do they do the MRI after the workout? Or after some specified period of time. What on MRI indicates more or less activation? This completely perplexes me.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 5252
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 8:43 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by pdellorto » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:58 am

Jungledoc wrote:How is this test even possible? Do they claim that they did the MRI during the exercise? If so, that's impossible.
I was wondering how you get away with moving metal plates around in a giant, enclosed magnet...

Are you sure was an MRI and not EKG hookups or something else?

User avatar
Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer
Posts: 2097
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:20 pm
Location: New York City

Post by Stephen Johnson » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:20 am

Jungledoc wrote:How is this test even possible? Do they claim that they did the MRI during the exercise? If so, that's impossible. Or do they do the MRI after the workout? Or after some specified period of time. What on MRI indicates more or less activation? This completely perplexes me.
Per Tesch wrote the book "Muscle Meets Magnet" as a compilation of his series of articles in Ironman. He updated it in the book Target Bodybuilding, but both books are out of print. I'm not sure of the methodology Tesch used, but he is (or claims to be) a Ph.D.
pdellorto wrote:Are you sure was an MRI and not EKG hookups or something else?
Tesch makes it clear that he is using an MRI machine. The testing was done after the exercise has been completed.
Last edited by Stephen Johnson on Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 5252
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 8:43 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by pdellorto » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:26 am

Stephen Johnson wrote:Tesch makes it clear that he is using an MRI machine. The testing is done after the exercise has been completed.
Ah, okay. I tried to ILL the book, but none of the partner libraries in my system have it...but I'm curious about it now, I'll see if I can find it.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 3482
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:49 am

Re: If you were forced...

Post by KPj » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:57 am

Rucifer wrote:To use a smith machine on either the squat or deadlift, which one would you choose? I know I know...evil question to ask- but an answer would be appreciated.
I like Peters answer the best (lock the bar and DL the machine).

If I had to pick one, I would pick the DL.

But, why would you have to pick one? I'm guessing ifyou have access to a smith machine, then you have access to free weights? If you really want to use a smith machine, you can do - Bench throws, inverted rows, pull ups, hang your coat on it, mobility drills, those bodyweight Tricep extension things (really can't remember the name of them). It's great for push up progressions, too.

KPj

bob
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 12:23 pm

Post by bob » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:26 am

I use the Smith machine for standing calf raises. I put two 45 pound barbell plates on the ground that i stand on, and align them so my body is perpendicular to the ground. I slap some plates on the barbell, then slide the safety catches up to the top. My gym doesn't have a standing calf raise machine so i find this is a good alternative.

User avatar
Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3991
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:40 am

Post by Ironman » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:25 am

bob wrote:I use the Smith machine for standing calf raises. I put two 45 pound barbell plates on the ground that i stand on, and align them so my body is perpendicular to the ground. I slap some plates on the barbell, then slide the safety catches up to the top. My gym doesn't have a standing calf raise machine so i find this is a good alternative.
That is the one and only thing I have done a smith machine.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:40 am
Location: Texas

Post by hoosegow » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:10 am

You should try throw presses Ironman. It scares the locals.

Post Reply