Body water percentage

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Body water percentage

Post by pdellorto » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:24 pm

Someone I know just used a scale that tells him his body water percentage. And his BMI.

This was the first I'd heard of such a thing, I'd only seen the body fat scales. I know the BMI number is basically useless...but neither he or I know what the body water percentage is good for.

He came up as 62.9%; human male average is 60%. Does this number tell us anything important? Is it useful for monitoring body composition in any way? Or will it always float around 60%, so long as he's normally hydrated, and not reflect any changes in fat/muscle/bone rations?

I'm curious. I'm mostly expecting the answer to be "both the BMI and TBW numbers tell you nothing useful" but you never know.

Peter

Blue Running Man
Novice
Novice

Post by Blue Running Man » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:45 pm

I have a scale that also gives you a water %. Just checked, 64%. Typically I'm between 62-65%. Usually stays very consistent.

I guess, there would be some concern if the number took a big swing. I've never seen it below 60, and if I did I would probably grab a glass of water. I don't pay too much attention to it, and it's the last reading on my scale, after weight, bf%, bone density, then water%. I usually step off before I even get a reading.

My post isn't really any help, but I would also like to learn more about this #.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:10 pm

Some guy came to our TKD school years ago, and used an electronic technique to measure body fat, and his machine also gave a percent body water. I don't remember what my number was, but he was quite concerned that mine was low. I guess that I was just in the habit of not drinking enough. I think it's probably no big deal, except that it might show you that you don't stay as well-hydrated as you should.

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:50 am

Hmm I wasn't aware such a thing existed. http://www.google.com/products?q=%22bod ... p&resnum=1 tons of brands and I've never heard of any of them - anybody ever used one of those?

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:40 pm

http://www.consumerreports.org/health/h ... ultIndex=1

Interesting article basically claiming they're not useful. Hmm.