5x5 Advice

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

Bacchus1979
Apprentice
Apprentice

5x5 Advice

Post by Bacchus1979 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:51 pm

Hey all - so I have been doing this program which I found on body building.com http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sclark70.htm, and it seems to more or less incorporate what i want at this stage. There are a couple things that bother me about it though and I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts?

First of all is seems a little unbalanced, there are basically two separate days, with one of them repeating on mon and fri- that just doesnt feel right to me, even though I know they are really both full body days - thoughts? Am I over-thinking it?

Also, how does everyone feel about mixing cardio in with the 5x5? will 20ish minutes of cardio on my off days seriously affect my gains? i know a lot of people say to do it after, but the truth is that i am too spent when I am done with this routine to hop on the treadmill or jump rope for 20 minutes!

Looking forward to some feedback from everyone -

Thanks!

stuward

Post by stuward » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:45 pm

You're giving this routine more credit than it's worth.

In the conclusion: "So if you are looking for a new workout to try and already have a few years of training behind you, give this a chance."

Translation: "you already know how to compensate if it doesn't work."

You can do your cardio in a separate workout, however, if you're wasted after your weight workout, you probably don't need cardio anyway. If you want to ensure you have adequate recovery time, do 2 workouts the same day and then take the next day completely off.

hari
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: 5x5 Advice

Post by hari » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:42 am

Bacchus1979 wrote:First of all is seems a little unbalanced, there are basically two separate days, with one of them repeating on mon and fri- that just doesnt feel right to me, even though I know they are really both full body days - thoughts? Am I over-thinking it?
I cant understatnd your point,imean why you dont feel right??
you cant do the bench press 3 days a week with 5x5 or military press or barbell row,expect squat exercise.you need to recover your muscle at least 2days-3days when you are going to do strength training.And i believe its workout is well balanced.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Re: 5x5 Advice

Post by pdellorto » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:15 am

Bacchus1979 wrote:First of all is seems a little unbalanced, there are basically two separate days, with one of them repeating on mon and fri- that just doesnt feel right to me, even though I know they are really both full body days - thoughts?
If that's a problem, just label the Monday and Friday on the schedule Workout A, the Wednesday Workout B, and then do this:

Week 1:

Monday: A
Wednesday: B
Friday: A

Week 2:

Monday: B
Wednesday: A
Friday: B

...and you've equally weighted both days in the schedule. The basic 5x5 in that article seems okay, though, but I think squatting 5x5 and Deadlifting 5x5 on the same day is going to be tough, even if you stick to once a week and ramp up to a final 5-rep work set instead of 5 work sets across!

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:37 am

Actually, I don't think 5 heavy sets of 5 reps is a good idea for deadlift even on it's own day, especially if you take Stu's advice, and alternate the 2 workouts (since that would mean DLing 3 times in 14 days). If you do a full 5x5 with heavy loading, it will be a huge hit to both muscles and CNS. Many "5x5" programs use lower volume for DL. There are so many ways to do "5x5" (see this excellent article on the many different approaches to "5x5", as well as a discussion of using decreased load for DL.

So you could do 2 or 3 warm-up sets, then either 2 or 3 work sets at a modest (70-80% 1RM) or go up to heavy singles or doubles.

Personally, I DL once a week, alternating between 3x3 at about 80% 1RM, and max singles.[/url]

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:04 pm

Is it so wrong that I have a hard time taking anything from bb.com seriously? :razz:

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:58 pm

hoosegow wrote:Is it so wrong that I have a hard time taking anything from bb.com seriously? :razz:
I was going to say something like that but I was afraid it was the wine talking.

Bacchus1979
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Bacchus1979 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:43 pm

Thanks for the feedback folks - readint the comments makes me think that I am probably overthinking things - I am just going to stick withthis for the six weeks - give it a chance, I can always tweak it later.

Thanks again all!