Random Questions About Presses

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:36 pm

Porovoz wrote:My body seems to be able to handle it just fine. Not to mention that overtraining, on the whole, seems to be alot of croc:
If you say so. But further down on your linked article:
So overtraining is hardly ever the issue. Few of us could exceed our bodies' true capacities even if we tried. The real concern is under-recovery — not eating enough, not sleeping enough, not treating minor aches and pains when they arise, and not following a sound training plan that allows for progressive improvement.
Whether you call it overtraining or under-recovery, the results are the same - poor results, that is, and a lot of wasted time and effort.

But follow your routine, by all means, and report back to us in 6-8 weeks. Either you'll be happy with your results, or you won't.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:06 am

I agree. Far too much volume and not enough recovery.

I also agree that overtraining is over hyped. However, to be truly overtraining you would actually be going backwards with your progress and feeling like crap. It would be quite difficult to make that happen. However, if your just 'under recovering' you could just be stuck in the same place - not improving but not regressing either. This is very common and you generally feel fine (so you don't think you're overtraining).

Even though anythings possible and you might make progress on that routine, the thing that would stick with me is what progress could you of made if just done a simple, back-to-basics lifting routine which has survived the test of time....

I think it was Mike Boyle or someone that pointed out most people don't ask questions for you to answer them objectively, they ask so you can confirm what they already want to believe.

Results are everything though. As Stephen suggested, do it for 6 weeks and see what happens. If it doesn't do anything or much then, change something.

KPj