Good routine to gain size?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Post Reply
xdeerizx
n00b
n00b
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:51 pm

Good routine to gain size?

Post by xdeerizx » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:00 am

Hey guys....New to the site and it has alot of useful info!! I have pretty much read it from head to toe although some of it is hard to grasp, I understand most of it. My main goal is to gain muscle size. I am currently 5'11" and weigh 167lbs at age 27. Here is my routine that I have made up using the site recommended 3 day split Pull / Push / Legs routine running 5 times a week (ABCABXXCABCA). For each exercise, I am doing 3 sets with 10 - 12 reps each. The weight amount used is tough for me for each set to finish sometimes failure.

Should I chose a weight that is suitable enough for me to be able to sustain it during all 3 sets? Or should I start out heavier the first set 8-12 but drop down as I progress so I can keep the 8-12 reps range? Also, should I be doing more then just 3 sets? Thanks for you help!!

Workout A (Pull)
Cable Close Grip Pulldown
Dumbell Upright Row
Cable Seated High Row
Dumbell Shrug
Dumbell Curl

Workout B (Push)
Dumbbell Bench Press
Cable Incline Chest Press
Dumbbell Front Raise
Dumbbell Triceps Extension

Workout C (Legs)
Lever 45° Leg Press
Dumbbell Straight Leg Deadlift
Cable Standing Calf Raise
Cable Kneeling Crunch

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:40 am
Location: Texas

Post by hoosegow » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:24 am


xdeerizx
n00b
n00b
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:51 pm

Post by xdeerizx » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:31 am

I have a routine, not looking for one.

Pauly420
Novice
Novice
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:37 am

Post by Pauly420 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:02 am

In my experience mixing up your rep ranges helps alot. I did the whole 3x10 or 3x12 thing for a while but lately ive been doing 3x6 Max weight. Always have to keep your muscles on their toes and make sure to eat ALOT. Especially with you running 5 days a week, if you want to put on weight you dont want to do heavy cardio at all, or if you want to run make sure you eat more on those days.

Also on your leg day i would recommend either lunges or squats. Building your legs really helps you gain mass everywhere else.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 3482
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:49 am

Post by KPj » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:12 am

Why are you running 5 days per week? Are you a runner? From what I've picked up recently, 5days per week running is excessive, even if you're a runner....

I think you need to clearly define a goal and go for it. You can't do it all at once.

KPj

xdeerizx
n00b
n00b
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:51 pm

Post by xdeerizx » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:16 am

Pauly420 wrote:In my experience mixing up your rep ranges helps alot. I did the whole 3x10 or 3x12 thing for a while but lately ive been doing 3x6 Max weight. Always have to keep your muscles on their toes and make sure to eat ALOT. Especially with you running 5 days a week, if you want to put on weight you dont want to do heavy cardio at all, or if you want to run make sure you eat more on those days.

Also on your leg day i would recommend either lunges or squats. Building your legs really helps you gain mass everywhere else.
Haha, when I said running, I meant running the routine 5 days a week. Either way, I do about 4-6 miles a day on the elliptical because I have about 8 more pounds to lose off my beer gut lol. Lost 13 so far :). I do know that it will be hard to put on weight atm but as soon as I cut down a little more, I will begin to eat some more. Thanks, I will try the 3x6.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 3482
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:49 am

Post by KPj » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:21 am


xdeerizx
n00b
n00b
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:51 pm

Post by xdeerizx » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:59 am

KPj wrote:You should give this a read...

http://www.alwyncosgrove.com/hierarchy-of-fat-loss.html

KPj
That was a really nice and in depth article and to be honest with you, from what I think, I am training close to that at the moment. I have done alot of reading and somewhere else I read that those who weight train along with cardio will burn fat more effectively because as your muscles rebuild, you are burning more calories in the effort. I didn't really know about the EPOC theory but I like it. One question is though, when I am on the elliptical, I am running at speeds avg 8.5 to 9 mph with an often spike in intensity - would this be HIIT? Maybe not exactly but I will run on a level 1 or 2 for like a 7 min mile and then push the resistence up to a level 12-15 for a minute which usually will burn me out of breath almost. After 35-50 minutes of that, I weightlift for 35-45 minutes pretty vigorously. So from what that article said, I think I am on the right track. What do you think?

User avatar
TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
Posts: 3129
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:04 am
Location: Va Beach, Va

Post by TimD » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:33 am

To answer your question, are you on the right track? Well, kinda/sorta. Your push, pull, legs is a good split, but get some squats in there. As to losing fat, what you described as cardio, and it does sound similar to if not HIIT (look it up) and with quick paced weight workouts, yes, you seem to be on track to drop fat, but the title of this thread is to get big. I'm with KPJ, pick one or the other. You will gain SOME size doing what you're doing now, but it seems more geared to drop your last few lbs. To "get big" you need to eat big, take longer rest breaks and go heavier in general reardless of rep ranges, and I agree w/Pauley on mixing up the ranges for size gains.
Tim

xdeerizx
n00b
n00b
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:51 pm

Post by xdeerizx » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:59 pm

TimD wrote:To answer your question, are you on the right track? Well, kinda/sorta. Your push, pull, legs is a good split, but get some squats in there. As to losing fat, what you described as cardio, and it does sound similar to if not HIIT (look it up) and with quick paced weight workouts, yes, you seem to be on track to drop fat, but the title of this thread is to get big. I'm with KPJ, pick one or the other. You will gain SOME size doing what you're doing now, but it seems more geared to drop your last few lbs. To "get big" you need to eat big, take longer rest breaks and go heavier in general reardless of rep ranges, and I agree w/Pauley on mixing up the ranges for size gains.
Tim
Well, like I said - I do have a few pounds left but once those are off, I will stop with the running and focus on getting bigger. Just want to make sure I will be on the right track when I stop running. When I do gain weight I really only wanna gain about 1-2 pds max a week . Thanks for your input. I wanted this to be read without it known that I am running alot but someone mentioned it.

nygmen
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1802
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:51 pm
Location: Mass, USA

Post by nygmen » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:14 pm

xdeerizx wrote:
Well, like I said - I do have a few pounds left but once those are off, I will stop with the running and focus on getting bigger. Just want to make sure I will be on the right track when I stop running. When I do gain weight I really only wanna gain about 1-2 pds max a week .
Okay...

1) To repeat what Hoose said, get a new routine, IMO, the one you listed, while push/pull/legs is cool, isn't very good. (I believe Tim mentioned this too.) There just isn't enough ump in there for me. You know, not enough sweat and work. (Just my .02)

2) I may catch a load for saying this but, you can't gain a substantial amount of muscle WITHOUT gaining some fat too, unless you want to take a decade to gain 10lbs of lean mass. So trying to lose fat first and "clean bulk" or whatever BS artist (V diet guy?) is trying to sell you is futile wheel spinning. You need to EAT to gain mass, and you can't eat enough "clean" to really build massive muscle, fast. I'm roughly your size at an assumed lower BF and at times am gagging down food to try and gain. Shoots of Olive Oil in the morning are the nastiest thing ever, but the closer I get my breakfast to 1,200 Cals the faster I get bigger.

So in short, stop wasting time trying to lose fat your going to gain back if you really want to gain 1-2 pounds a week (I'll get to that in a min.)

3) Your not going to gain 1-2 pounds of lean mass a week, and if you do, legally, I'm going to worship at your feet. But honestly, I'm all for shooting for the moon with ones' goals, but your going to have to EAT HUGE to gain like that, and you will pack on some fat eating that big. (Aside from major gym intensity,) your going to have to eat like a crazed animal.

I haven't read a ton of articles, I just know from talking to a few HUGE people, and listening to people that have been doing this for 10+ years and are 265lbs of muscle, maybe I'm completely wrong. I'm not trying to be a jerk either, just would hate to see you spin your wheels, get frustrated and give up.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:40 am
Location: Texas

Post by hoosegow » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:49 am

Thank nygmen. I didn't know how to respond without sounding like a total ass, so I dropped it.

nygmen
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1802
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:51 pm
Location: Mass, USA

Post by nygmen » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:39 pm

hoosegow wrote:Thank nygmen. I didn't know how to respond without sounding like a total ass, so I dropped it.
NP.

I had to erase stuff like 25 times, bite my tongue, and still probably sounded like a jerk.

Sorry if I did OP.

User avatar
Jungledoc
moderator
moderator
Posts: 7578
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:45 am

Again, I think we all get tired of the same questions over and over.

Newbies, read thread, search, look at the stickies FIRST.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 5252
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 8:43 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by pdellorto » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:59 am

Jungledoc wrote:Again, I think we all get tired of the same questions over and over.

Newbies, read thread, search, look at the stickies FIRST.
That's why I originally wrote this:

http://strength-basics.blogspot.com/200 ... for-x.html

I just got tired of re-writing that every time.

Maybe we need to organize the stickies by Mass Gain, Fat Loss, Don't Want to Get Bulky But I Want To Be Fit, etc. :D

Or have a contract that says "By clicking on this, I agree to the terms and conditions and certify I actually read the stickies to see if my question has already been answered."

:wink:

Post Reply