new program for OOS 48 year old

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, parth, stuward

sks24
Rookie
Rookie

new program for OOS 48 year old

Post by sks24 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:59 pm

This is going to sound like a cliché, but I really do have a friend who's 48, out of shape, and wants to begin a wellness/fitness program. I suggested a membership at the YMCA, and a strength and aerobics program, and I told him I would get back to him with something he could go to his doctor with.

I thought I might present my proposal here first.

For strength, I was thinking two full-body workouts a week, with 10 minutes of aerobics on either side of the weight training, and dynamic stretching after thepre-lift aerobics. (See: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/sport ... ewarm.html)

Seven exercises: Squat on a Smith machine, deadlifts, bent rows, bench press, lat pull downs, abs.
A month or so of attention to form with small increments of weight added until we get below 10 reps to failure. That will allow calculation of 1RM on the exercises, and then we would move to light, medium and heavy days. Two sets: one warm up @10 reps at 50% 1RM, one strength.

Light days: 10-15 reps, 65% 1RM
Medium days: 7-11 reps, 70% 1RM
Heavy days: 5-9 reps, 80% 1RM

Aerobics:

10+10 minutes on strength days, and 20-30 (to begin), depending on how he feels on any given day, on non-lift days. He would wear a Polar, both to watch target and max HR, and also to keep track of average HR and time for each session. Ideally, the average HR for each aerobic workout would be within the training HR range by the end of the first month.

He likes to jog, and I think it might be good if he could find at least one other cardio workout: spinning, elliptical, swim/water run.

One day a week of rest.

So his week might look like this:

Monday: Run
Tuesday: Swim or water run
Wednesday: Elliptical
Thursday: Spin/dynamic stretch/lift/spin (maybe static stretching for cool-down)
Friday: Run or swim/water run
Saturday: rest
Sunday: Ellip/stretch/lift/Ellip/ cool-down static stretch

Any comments? Might he need another rest day per week, at least for the first month? On, say, Wednesday?

Thanks in advance for your help,
SKS

dale2177
Novice
Novice

Post by dale2177 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:21 am

At 48 and out of shape, i would say definitely another rest day in there, if not more, recovery is going to be a lot slower generally, and i think it would be way better to start to light and build up than go in all guns blazing and risk injury.

I see it a lot, people mad keen to get training go all out for a week or two, maybe three if lucky, then they start to get a 'niggle', or just don't want to/"have time" to train

I'm sure the rest of the guys on here can correct me, but i would advise one lifting day to start, maybe two cardio days to build up a base, with a rest day in between each and another day swimming/water run.

One question though, you say out of shape, but likes to jog, what would current activity levels be like? running currently? how long/often etc...

sks24
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sks24 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:08 am

Thanks Dale

Current activity levels: No aerobics or strength training. He likes the idea of running - ran in high school - but does nothing now.

So maybe I could present him with two extremes. One would be the least he could do and expect gains, and the other would be the most he could do without overtraining.

Hard for me to believe he could maintain gains lifting only once a week, but, if he could, then, at the low end, his week might look something like this?:

Swim
off
elliptical
off
lift
off
run
---------
off
repeat

And then, if he wanted to do more, he might add swims. Or maybe leave abs for an off day, and do, say, foam rollers on another off day.

Wouldn't he at some point need to do two lifts a week to make any gains?

Anyway, good point: let's start out with the least he could do and experience any gains.
But also have available the most that would be advisable in terms of weekly activity.

Thanks again,
SKS

dale2177
Novice
Novice

Post by dale2177 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:54 am

Absolutely, Going from nothing is the biggest hurdle, you only need to keep it this easy for the first couple of weeks to a month depending on how your friend is feeling after each week,

What might seem too easy to an experienced lifter could be next to impossible for the absolute newbie so it needs to be in context.

Don't be initially concerned with making gains as much as 'training' the muscles into the movements, once the body has got over the initial shock of going from sedentary to regular exercise, then you can increase the number of sessions and start upping the intensity.

And remember, recovery is key especially in the older participant.

Also with the running, depending on the intentions for distance/frequency of runs, build up slowly, i am testament to the fact that too much too soon will knock you back, four weeks before a marathon i was training for i tried to up the mileage too quickly, ended up with an overuse injury and missed the whole thing, after a year of preparation! and at 28 i thought i was invincible!

anandsr21
Novice
Novice

Post by anandsr21 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:30 am

It would seem to be better to start the starting strength program with low weights in the beginning with small increments.

There is generally no reason to avoid free weights. You can just use smaller weights and small increments to keep the thing light. Increasing slowly will add a lot of strength.

It will be a good idea to alternate with swimming. Swimming is an excellent over all body conditioning exercise. Just remember to do slow but continuous swim for about 15 to 30 minutes. You can increase the time slowly, no need to start with more than you can, and then add about 1 minute per day.

-anand

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:48 am

It's certainly possible to maintain and even gain on 1 intense weight training session per week. Clarence Bass advocates this approach. However, he's been at this for a long time and knows how to get max benefit out of 1 intense session. I think it's better at first to do a couple of moderate intensity strength workouts along with some moderate cardio until he is comfortable with the training. Intensity should be escalated according to his comfort zone. trying to progress too agressively would be counter productive.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:14 am

I agree on the "don't avoid the free weights" bit. Get him started on free weights right from the word go. Keep him out of the clutches of cybex! :D

Heck, you might even want to start him out doing things like dumbbell farmer's walks as part of his warmup. It's a technically simple exercise, takes less work to set up than programming the treadmill or elliptical, scales easily, etc. Dan John mentioned doing weighted walks as a warmup and I think he's onto something there, even for the totally out of shape. If you can walk, you can stick a pair of light dumbbells in your hands and walk with those, and move up.

I like the idea of dynamic stretching. I'd seriously check out KPj's 5K thread and see what he's doing for his sister. Although it sounds like he'll be doing this stuff on his own, it's worth it for him to learn how to do things like x-band walks, glute bridges, birddogs and fire hydrants, etc.
The book "Core Performance" - probably in every library near you - has a nice mobility section that's pretty easy to follow. Handy if you just want something he can copy and do, complete with pictures, instead of building a movement prep routine for him.

Hope that helps.

sks24
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sks24 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:38 am

Thank you all very much.

I agree re/ the free weights.

We'll see how it goes!

Again, thanks,
SKS