OL Progression

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

Kram2
Rookie
Rookie

OL Progression

Post by Kram2 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:17 am

I am interested in performing OLs, but am very new to them. I've looked at the different lifts and was wondering is there one to start with then move into the more complex ones?

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:59 am

Look here under Progressions (in the right hand column)
http://www.exrx.net/Lists/PowerExercises.html
The progressions listed are for the clean and jerk, but for the Snatch, replace the front squat with overhead squats and instead of front pressing/jerking , use behind neck, and a wide snatch grip for the Deads and pulls snatch grip pushpresses and snatch balances.
Lots of other places to look, but it boils down to this. Get the basics down first;. i/e recovery power withfront and overhead squats, pulling off the floor power with Deads to knee level and ack squats, hip explosion with jump shrugs, hang high pulls, DB swings, and pushing power with push presses/jerks with varying grips, them put them together into the classical lifts. Unlike back in the day, ost models these days teach the full squat versions first, so as not to develop bad habits with the power versions of cleans and snatches, but if you're not going to compete, might just want to stick with the power versions.
Tim

Kram2
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Kram2 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:52 pm

TimD wrote:Look here under Progressions (in the right hand column)
http://www.exrx.net/Lists/PowerExercises.html
The progressions listed are for the clean and jerk, but for the Snatch, replace the front squat with overhead squats and instead of front pressing/jerking , use behind neck, and a wide snatch grip for the Deads and pulls snatch grip pushpresses and snatch balances.
Lots of other places to look, but it boils down to this. Get the basics down first;. i/e recovery power withfront and overhead squats, pulling off the floor power with Deads to knee level and ack squats, hip explosion with jump shrugs, hang high pulls, DB swings, and pushing power with push presses/jerks with varying grips, them put them together into the classical lifts. Unlike back in the day, ost models these days teach the full squat versions first, so as not to develop bad habits with the power versions of cleans and snatches, but if you're not going to compete, might just want to stick with the power versions.
Tim
Thank you Tim. I really should have done my homework and looked over this site more thoroughly before posting, sorry.

I have no desire to compete so I'll take your suggestion and stick to the power versions.